PDA

View Full Version : oliver 2150 4wd

pncaldwell
06-28-2014, 07:19 PM
im not much of a tractor guy but i picked up this oliver 2150, would it be a good pulling rig
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51816&stc=1&d=1404001098

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51817&stc=1&d=1404001098

pncaldwell
06-28-2014, 07:21 PM
someone told me it was rare tractor it has the white Hercules engine in it

99GreenCummins
06-28-2014, 07:52 PM
Being 4wd its already slightly rare. Motor I can't say much for but I thought they came with Perkins motors.

Bersaglieri
06-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Not sure where you're from but I've never seen 4WD tractor pulls except for the sled reset tractor.

Cool tractor though, I like those old Olivers.

9724VF350
06-30-2014, 09:39 AM
478 Hercules, FWD makes it what alot of people are calling "muscle tractors" nowadays.

They can make a pretty good modified farm stock puller with some engine work, but honestly it would be a shame to chop that one up into a puller. You could probably sell it, make some money, and buy a 2wd tractor to start with.

I'm assuming you plan involves removing the FWA.

Where are you located? A friend of mine has a 2wd project tractor, and would like to have a FWD.

Signature600
06-30-2014, 11:41 AM
478 Hercules, FWD makes it what alot of people are calling "muscle tractors" nowadays.

They can make a pretty good modified farm stock puller with some engine work, but honestly it would be a shame to chop that one up into a puller. You could probably sell it, make some money, and buy a 2wd tractor to start with.

I'm assuming you plan involves removing the FWA.

Where are you located? A friend of mine has a 2wd project tractor, and would like to have a FWD.

What he said.

Before you hack that up, I will buy it from you. 2150 is one of my favorites.

Absolutely great tractor.
Chris

RonA
07-01-2014, 05:40 PM
One of my uncles back in Missouri is a big Oliver fan. I wish I could take the time to go back east and look for a tractor. The smaller stuff(25-45hp) is crazy expensive around here.

04BlueSmirf
07-19-2014, 01:53 PM
There hard to find now days thats for sure. We have 5 Oliver's on our farm 2 1800s 2 1850s and a 77

Lamont_24
07-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Hercules are junk, leaking sons of guns

9724VF350
07-19-2014, 07:30 PM
Calling them junk makes it relatively apparent that you don't have much experience with them.

Lamont_24
07-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Calling them junk makes it relatively apparent that you don't have much experience with them.

They run good and have good power but they're drip dries. We put four rear mains in one and the guy decided enough was enough and had us swap a cummins in it. Not that, that is any better haha

Signature600
07-19-2014, 08:54 PM
They run good and have good power but they're drip dries. We put four rear mains in one and the guy decided enough was enough and had us swap a cummins in it. Not that, that is any better haha

We replace very few rear mains on all the White's and Oliver's that have the Herc's in them. Great engines....I'd take one over a 5.9 or even an 8.3 ANY DAY. At least I don't have to pull the damn head off a Herc every time we try to replace exhaust manifold gaskets like on the Cummins. Broken bolts and manifold flanges ate up so bad we have to plane them to be able to get them to seal. Have even had a couple guys that tell us to weld the manifold to the head so we don't have to pull it.

EVERY oil pan leaks on the Cummins. Period. I have 3 to fix at the shop right now.

Chris

9724VF350
07-19-2014, 09:58 PM
Right stuff is the only thing I've found to keep the pan and front cover dry, but you'll all but destroy them if you have to take them back off. PFS seems to work well for everything else.

Get some RT150 exhaust manifold gaskets for 12V's. They're 3 composite layers and 2 steel layers with a "fire ring" crimped in them. I've recently started using them, I think they'll be a respectable Band-Aid for questionable gasket surfaces. Stock up though, it took me 3 weeks to get the first 24 (on emergency order) , I've got 60 more on order.

I've been looking for that style gasket for 8.3's.

Herc's can be sealed up without much trouble. If you use a rear seal speedy sleeve from AGCO, it's too long and when you bolt the flywheel on it wads the sleeve up and the seal leaks. The rear main cap seals can also leak and appear to be a leaking rear seal.

Side note Chris, if you need crank seal drivers for the 6.7 RGT engines, I have a set. They'll make you pucker if you price them.

Signature600
07-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Right stuff is the only thing I've found to keep the pan and front cover dry, but you'll all but destroy them if you have to take them back off. PFS seems to work well for everything else.

Get some RT150 exhaust manifold gaskets for 12V's. They're 3 composite layers and 2 steel layers with a "fire ring" crimped in them. I've recently started using them, I think they'll be a respectable Band-Aid for questionable gasket surfaces. Stock up though, it took me 3 weeks to get the first 24 (on emergency order) , I've got 60 more on order.

I've been looking for that style gasket for 8.3's.

Herc's can be sealed up without much trouble. If you use a rear seal speedy sleeve from AGCO, it's too long and when you bolt the flywheel on it wads the sleeve up and the seal leaks. The rear main cap seals can also leak and appear to be a leaking rear seal.

Side note Chris, if you need crank seal drivers for the 6.7 RGT engines, I have a set. They'll make you pucker if you price them.

The 12v's aren't as bad on the head flanges, and those gaskets do take care of most of those. The 8.3's, yeah, bad.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll remember those items.

Chris