PDA

View Full Version : tuning/wiring my setup

russcone
08-04-2014, 11:02 PM
okay i sold my 03 a couple of weeks ago and finally had the chance to wire up my system. my old truck i built a non divided, ported console box from the floor up the back seat. this new 06 i ended up building a box under the seat for the same subs. i raised the seats 3/4" and fiber glassed a mold of the rear pockets. the box is undivided just to see what it would sound like.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i323/russ1992/IMG_20140804_215936281_zpsz9ue8rny.jpg
the subs are 2-12" pioneer premier champion series. powering everything i have a 4g power wire going to a stinger battery.
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i323/russ1992/IMG_20140804_215958685_zpsgcxxbsp6.jpg
from the stinger i have a 4g wire going to a kenwood (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2170_Kenwood-eXcelon-KAC-X811D.html) to push the subs.
then i have a 8g power wire from the stinger battery to a lightning audio (http://www.lightningaudio.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=1&series_id=4&family_id=8&item_id=100499&locale=en_US&p_status=discontinued) running my door speakers. i have them wired from the main harness behind my double din to the amp.
i am no audio expert by no means and have done everything 100% myself. im not good with the ohms and whatnot, just messing with things till its sounds good (to me at least).my questions are how should i wire the subs from the amp to the subs? also any tips for tuning them? and should i do anything to the box, port it, divide it, divide it and port it?

murphy41
08-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Divided and ported. Find out what the cubic airspace those subs were designed to be in. And replicate.

russcone
08-11-2014, 02:38 PM
I ended up wiring them since they are both dual 2ohm sub's to 2ohm impedance (I think that's how you say it)
Also on the sub's recommended air space and go from there.
Also is that any advantage running the stinger battery vs a 500k compacitor?

murphy41
08-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Even with good batteries I usually run a cap anyway. Just helps keep consistant power at the amp. Specially while driving.

russcone
08-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Well i actually have a cap hooked up now but the screw in piece is almost stripped so I went by our stereo place in town and they sold me this stinger battery. They told me that they stopped using caps and started using these that its better...?

russcone
08-11-2014, 02:51 PM
I've just always used caps

CHEMMINS
08-11-2014, 05:14 PM
Well if you have dual 2 subs you can wire them in multiple different configurations depending on the amp that is driving them.

The batt is a nice add on if put inline with the others. Cap is only good for smoothing out any ripples as it discharges instantly and recharges as well so it is still a draw on the electrical. A HO alt and a pair of good AGM batts is always best.

Make sure you have good grounds as well. I like to go back to the batts from the amp.

Fummins 6.0
11-03-2014, 12:29 AM
make sure your low pass filter or (LPF) on the sup amp is on, its a class D amp so it might not even have a on off switch.... set the Hz to 100. adjust 10 Hz at a time + or - until you get what you like ... go to amp running door speakers make sure youre running a HPF or (high pass filter) set it at 120 and adjust + or - 10 hertz until you like it. make sure before tuning.... you set the head unit EQ to whatever you like..... but the bass (+3 or +6 ) and treble (+2 or +6) or whatever they are always left on turn them to 0. those are fine tuning adjustments. ALWAYS separate subs in the same box...... they should never share air space.... ported makes subs sound louder and deeper than they really are, but make the sound "sluggish" or "muddy" in some cases. sealed gives a very quick kick and response time. but doesn't always give you that extra "umph" people are looking for .
rules of thumb.....
don't port 15" inch subs unless they are designed.
ported boxes work good with rap, techno, pop, and any digital drums/ bass
ported boxes typically do not perform as well with Jazz, classic rock, rock, country.

are you sure they are not " dual voice coil 4 ohm speakers........ making them 2 ohms total?