PDA

View Full Version : John Deere 6430 and 6420

EPA Violator
08-25-2014, 03:36 PM
Looking at a new tractor for my farm. Need 90 or so pto horsepower, can't afford a new tractor. I've been looking at 2010-2012 6430's and some mid 2000's 6420's. I know these are commonrail. What's everyones' opinion on these newer ones versus the mechanical pump tractors like 4255. Gonna mostly pull 15 foot bushhog and tend about 30-40 acres of hay and 20 or so acres of corn for cattle.

will24
08-25-2014, 03:46 PM
You're about the limit on a 15' mower with a 6430, it will run it, but will be slow going in the heavy stuff. We have a 6430 loader tractor at the farm I work at. No problems at all with it, starts beautiful in the cold, decent on fuel, we use it for raking, loading bales etc, it's usually the "other tractor" when making hay and straw, 7410 does the baling mostly and the 6430 does everything else.

Red Sleeper
08-25-2014, 03:53 PM
You're probably going to pay darn near the same for the new(er) common rail tractor vs an older mechanical 55 series JD in good shape. I personally would lean toward an older mechanical one. Though the 55 series started to introduce some electronics. The dash for example, all the gauges are electronic.

I just love the sound and rattle of the old mechanical JD's though.

EPA Violator
08-25-2014, 04:00 PM
You're probably going to pay darn near the same for the new(er) common rail tractor vs an older mechanical 55 series JD in good shape. I personally would lean toward an older mechanical one. Though the 55 series started to introduce some electronics. The dash for example, all the gauges are electronic.

I just love the sound and rattle of the old mechanical JD's though.

Me too. I just don't want to get something I have to work on and fix stuff. I just need it to run, some of the older ones need tires etc. How many hours (in general) can be put on the older mechanical tractors before overhaul, assuming normal maintenance and not excessive dusty conditions. What would be considered low hrs for the 55 series? 2000 or so?

EPA Violator
08-25-2014, 04:02 PM
Also, any advantage of the newer ones as far as safety, rollover protection etc. I'm looking at cab tractors, my girls will likely be in them some as well. thx.

Signature600
08-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Not my color, but parts are cheaper for the older stuff, and the tractor will hold up better.

I would consider anything short of 4000hrs low on a 55 series tractor....remember how old they are at this point.

From what we have seen, again, not my color, but we do trade for them....Deere's quality has gone down since the 60 series. I'm talking about the total life of the tractor, which, for most people, doesn't matter. Most will buy them, put a couple thousand hours on them, then trade them off.
In places where a couple thousand hours is a years time, Deere is losing market. Not fast, but they are.

Again, not a problem for most.

I would say for what you're looking for, either would be a good choice. Main thing is to remember anything with electronics, the dealer will need to be involved for a repair sometime...maybe not everytime, but at some point, they will be needed.

Chris

EPA Violator
08-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Not my color, but parts are cheaper for the older stuff, and the tractor will hold up better.

I would consider anything short of 4000hrs low on a 55 series tractor....remember how old they are at this point.

From what we have seen, again, not my color, but we do trade for them....Deere's quality has gone down since the 60 series. I'm talking about the total life of the tractor, which, for most people, doesn't matter. Most will buy them, put a couple thousand hours on them, then trade them off.
In places where a couple thousand hours is a years time, Deere is losing market. Not fast, but they are.

Again, not a problem for most.

I would say for what you're looking for, either would be a good choice. Main thing is to remember anything with electronics, the dealer will need to be involved for a repair sometime...maybe not everytime, but at some point, they will be needed.

Chris

thx

EPA Violator
09-23-2014, 06:48 PM
figured I'd update the thread. I found an immaculate 2012 6430 with only 400 hours and the 340 FEL. bought it and love it. I've never had a tractor with a cab before, it's plumb comfy. Bushhogging won't be a chore no more :)

Signature600
09-23-2014, 07:12 PM
figured I'd update the thread. I found an immaculate 2012 6430 with only 400 hours and the 340 FEL. bought it and love it. I've never had a tractor with a cab before, it's plumb comfy. Bushhogging won't be a chore no more :)

The cabs sure have come a LONG way....

Congrats!
Chris

DieselheaD
09-23-2014, 07:42 PM
What cab does it have EPAviolator ?

99GreenCummins
09-23-2014, 08:04 PM
I'd say you got yourself a good tractor! Our state highway departments uses 6430s as road mowers. They have no complaints on the power running their heavy batwing mowers.

I looked back through our service history at the dealer when I first saw this. Only problem that was in the system was a person having shifting issues. It would have trouble shifting into drive. This fault was occurring less than once a month and he wanted it repaired before his extended warranty ran out.