First Gen Steering Box Re-inforcing ?

RacinDuallie

Black Sheep Racing
Heard my steering box frame plate crack while pulling out my parking spot. Loud pop. I knew exactly what it was too:hehe:

Another buddy has a CC First gen and he is on plate #3.

I think I remember a while back there was a reinforcing bracket that bolted up from the backside of frame (behind steering box plate) and you drilled another mounting hole on the cross-member. This was supposed to stiffen the steering box area because of the frame flexing around on the frame rivets.

Anyone come across a cure for this issue?

Last edited:
I know there are some reinforcements for second gens but I have never heard of actual aftermarket reinforcements for first gens. My frames have cracked at a real skinny spot right at the steering box but I didn't usually have problems with the plate itself. My plates came loose and it would constantly creek and pop from being loose, I think I have had one crack but just because it was loose. Some super tight lock nuts work most the time.

I didn't notice dad was still logged in, this is cstalnaker.

Older 70 something Power Wagons had them. It went from the bolts behind the steering box to the front crossmember under the radiator IIRC.

Or put it in the 2wd position and build a cross over. I think some have even put a Chevy draglink in there and made it work.

From what I have found, only time it was moved to the 2wd part was when they built a crossover. Problem with that is you need at least a 2" lift.

^^^^^that's the one I put on my truck, seemed to help but the frames on these things really needs to be boxed and the gearbox.

I lucked out and found one of those steering box braces on E-bay a couple years ago. Snapped it up, and installed it when I did the 4wd conversion on my crewcab.

Here it is....

PICT8705_zps6f2b7ee3.jpg

I used the kit from jungle over on ramchargercentral.com. It comes with everything you need to box the front of the frame in on both sides plus making the steering gear box mounting a lot stiffer.

Frame_4.sized.jpg

Here is another shot showing where the steering gear box mounts. Those are 1" DOM sleeves that go all the way through to the other side of the frame and get welded in.

Powder_Frame_1.sized.jpg

Last edited:
What about buying the second gen stabilizer kit, then using the shaft and pillow bearing and creating your own brace. Then make a 3rd gen track bar bracket , when I own one again I was planning on doing this . I thought it would make the old first gen steer like a new one

Heard my steering box frame plate crack while pulling out my parking spot. Loud pop. I knew exactly what it was too:hehe:

Another buddy has a CC First gen and he is on plate #3.

I think I remember a while back there was a reinforcing bracket that bolted up from the backside of frame (behind steering box plate) and you drilled another mounting hole on the cross-member. This was supposed to stiffen the steering box area because of the frame flexing around on the frame rivets.

Anyone come across a cure for this issue?

I bought that brace that you speak of 4-5 years ago and it worked for the short time I used it. My truck was taken off the road (trans went) and the motor was taken out of it so I didn't get any real long term results with it. I don't even remember where I bought it online. It was too long ago, and the receipt and site were never saved.

Dodge Connection (listed above) used to sell them but they stopped about two years ago. I got mine from them.

The braces also came stock on some 2wd trucks.

Back