PDA

View Full Version : What tuner should I get

Powerstrokeguy
11-12-2007, 07:40 PM
I have a early 99 powerstroke with stage 1 injectors I also run water/meth and propane injection. My chip now is a sct 4 pos, its about 3 years old, I am going to a bigger turbo and maybe even a bigger injecter this winter. I would like to get a new tuner but I dont know what I should get. Does anyone have any suggestions. I think I might go with the SCT livewire, I think you can get downloads for it off the computer and it even reads and clears diognostic trouble codes. But how big of a setting can I get for it and can I switch the setting while driving down the road? How many settings can it hold at one time? Like mine now can hold 4 and I can change it while driving down the road. Maybe the edge is a better tuner? I dont really know whats the route to go. Also are any of these stackable? Can you really stack chips?

strokin_early99
12-09-2007, 05:18 PM
If you are want the livewire, get Tadd at Elite Diesel to sell you the tunes. You will need custom tunes if you want to go with single shot injectors and they are not available from Superchips or Edge. Stacking does not work quite like it does in Cummins trucks. The biggest gain I have seen with stacking is 15hp and that was with generic tunes like the superchips and edge stuff.

The last dyno event I was at we saw a 9hp drop in power from a Tony Wildman chip to Tony Wildman/Edge EZ combo. That tells me that stacking is not the way to go with the 7.3.

I personally have not even considered stacking with my truck. I have DP Tuner and I have 8 setting to choose from while driving.

Elite Diesel, DI and TW have 6 position chips and DP tuner has 16 positions available.

What turbo are you thinking of going with? Are you sure your truck is an early99? What is the build date? I have an early99 myself and have done a little with it.

mattgw86
04-23-2008, 06:50 PM
I can say that I really like Jody's work and recommend them to anyone looking for a 7.3 tuner. That said I really like some of the stuff that SCT puts out. I had an Xcal2 on my Crown Vic and it was great. I could datalog and check trouble codes on any OBDII Vehicle. I've read about the livewire and it seems really nice. I guess it comes down to what you want to do with it.