PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight sandblasting cabinet

JD3020
01-22-2015, 09:34 PM
I know some guys may hate on HF tools, but i've had good luck and since i'm a DIY'er i have no desire to pay big $$$ on things i won't use often.

With saying that, anybody used their blasting cabinets? Theres been a lot of times recently when i wish i had one to clean up some parts instead of having to do it all by hand. Not looking to blast huge parts, biggest thing would be trailer rims(16") or hubs/spindles. Air supply isn't an issue.

http://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-capacity-floor-blast-cabinet-68893.html

Shainer
01-22-2015, 09:57 PM
Search the internet for reviews on them. You will see the mods guys perform to make it a more effective cabinet. Two major items that need addressing is to seal the inside before adding any media. Second is some sort of dust management system.

Mark Nixon
01-22-2015, 10:01 PM
I read some of the reviews and other than being tedious and time-consuming to assemble, most were pleased with it.
I'm going to go look at one to-morrow and make my own decision. :D

Mark.

shortbusdriver
01-22-2015, 10:28 PM
Mine works ok with a bit of mods done to it.

First as mentioned is to seal it better. It comes with seals but I ended up applying silicone to get it to stop leaking.

I also took out the light supplied as it was not bright enough. I drilled holes and added 3 regular light fixtures with rough service light bulbs. Probably wouldn't do that again but definitely needs something brighter.

ikeG
01-24-2015, 05:43 AM
I had a Homak and it leaked liked crazy. Not matter the brand or price of cabinet, you will need some sort of dust collection system. A shop will work if you really dont use it that often. I use mine almost daily, so i splurged after i realized this and returned the Homak. Bought a skat blaster with their dust collection vac. It is totally awesome. One of those things you wonder what you did without.

Signature600
01-24-2015, 07:24 AM
Main thing on the light is to put it in a dark corner or build a shield over the top to knock out glare.

I have a similar one, that also has a top door...and we use the hell out of it at the store. Only complaint we have is there is a ton of glare off the glass from the lights overhead. If I had a place to put it out from under the lights it would help a bunch.

Chris

Edit...I have this model from Black bull....only I only paid a grand for mine. Apparently the price has went way up.

JD3020
01-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys. Been watching some youtube reviews and read some threads about making a water trap for a shop-vac, pretty sure i'm gonna go this route unless i can find a nice used cabinet. Looking like i'll be swapping engines in both of my 7.3's and maybe my dad's LB7, so this will beat trying to clean **** up with a wire wheel and steel wool. LOL

kawi600
01-25-2015, 12:42 PM
I got some junky cabinet for cheap, similar to the HF one. Just put an old BHAF on the outlet where the dust collection goes.
The siphon feed is a pain in the butt even when I use aluminum oxide media and an air drier. I was going to try patching in a pressure blaster I got instead but it clogs up just as bad.