PDA

View Full Version : 44 Foot Trailer, option recommendations

Bobcat698
11-18-2007, 01:02 PM
I am purchasing a 44 ft trailer next month with the intention of hauling 2 ex-cab long box trucks.. combined weight 16k.

I talked to the trailer place I normally deal with and he priced me out a Sure-Trac trailer with 2 10k tandem dually axles and electric brakes.

I have the option of going with 2x 12k axles instead, along with the option of electric over hydraulic brakes. He said those options aren't necessary for that size load as he's hauled similar loads with a 40 foot trailer for years..

What do you guys think?

ChaseN
11-18-2007, 01:06 PM
ALL of my trailers, totalling 9, i have put elec/hydo on.

i absolutely love it and would never go back to just elec.

also, my trailers > 24' deck came factory with 10k tandem duals but i put 12,500 on them shortly after bringing them home.

i would say get a 40' deck, 5' dove tail (4' doves SUCK haha), elec/hydo, 12,500 lb axles. you will LOVE it.

well worth the money spent.

Bobcat698
11-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Trailer salesman says maximum legal length for any trailer is 53 foot..
I guess I could probably get away with a 45 foot trailer, they measure from the very front bolt on the gooseneck to the back.. I will have flip-up ramps, they would push it a hair over 53 ft.

What do you gross with your cattle trailers?
My existing tow rig is a 96 2500 2wd srw truck.. we will probably only haul one truck most of the season and will probably have only 1-3 hooks hauling both with that tow rig. I plan on picking up a 2009 6.7L Mega Cab Dually.

ChaseN
11-18-2007, 01:22 PM
ha, i don't even want to know what i weigh in on a good load with my cattle trailer, my tow rig is down right now so it has been parked for week or two.

as for the length, thanks for correcting me, one of my 40' has a 36' deck with 4' dove and other has a 35' deck 5' dove. either way that leaves you with 13 foot to play around with. each of my trailers have tripple folding ramps.

my tow rig is a 05 CTD S/C 4x4 dually. i would love to have a new personal 6.7 mega cab.

Bobcat698
11-18-2007, 01:24 PM
I would get the folding ramps but I would run into issues with flipping them up when both trucks are loaded.. Wouldn't work very well. Looks like a 39+5 is what I'll need. I wasn't trying to correct you BTW, I just learned about this law 2 days ago.

ChaseN
11-18-2007, 01:25 PM
just watch your weight, that's all the matters. oh and get a CDL, you will need one.

i was hauling my 40' with my 04.5 CTD 2500 (sold the truck 2 months ago) with our backhoe. weighed in at a hair under 30k. legal is 26k. only got caught because i broke my front axle, the set of duals shot off, hitting another car, totalled their car.

also watch your speed. that would not have happened if i wasn't speeding but i was cruising right at 85. took me 1/4 mile to get shut down once i saw what was happening.

trooper gave me 12 or 14 violations (tickets).
i am STILL paying that crap off and JUST got my lisence back haha.

ChaseN
11-18-2007, 01:27 PM
yes, you will need at least a 39 if hauling two trucks, if knowledge serves me correctly, one truck is right at 18' from front bumper to back? is that correct?

Bobcat698
11-18-2007, 01:30 PM
OUCH! Did you get sued for the car getting totalled or did insurance cover it?

Legal is 26k how? Without a CDL? I might be a hair over that because you figure the tow rig at 7k minimum, truck weight on trailer 16k, already at 23k, plus trailer weight at 4k maybe?

I will be hauling the trucks for my biz to get to truck pulls, you think we should both have CDL's even if it reads "not for hire"?

Bobcat698
11-18-2007, 01:31 PM
yes, you will need at least a 39 if hauling two trucks, if knowledge serves me correctly, one truck is right at 18' from front bumper to back? is that correct?

My ex cab long box is right at 21 feet bumper to bumper... So we need 44 I think! 39 might do it if we hung the a$$ end off the trailer a bit, that is do-able too but I'd like a few inches between the trucks though too.

ChaseN
11-18-2007, 01:42 PM
no, didn't get sued. insurance covered it. the big deal was i did not have my CDL then.

if you weigh combinged weight 26k or under, and run farm tags, you do not need a CDL. if you are 26,001 you will need a CDL.

i am going based on my knowledge, confirm what i am saying is correct before you trust me haha, i have been known to make mistakes.

IF the trailer is bought personally, i would title it as farm trailer. if a company buys it, is MUST be titled as DOT trailer and you WILL have to have a CDL.

that is how the state's get their money.

last week i re-newed my 40' farm trailer: $5.60
renewed my 40' DOT trailer: $96.80

as far as the length of the trucks, 21' each = 42' combined, foot inbetween = 43', foot on tail = 44'. that will be extremely tough with folding ramps, even if you chain them up, it will still be tough... hmm.. get a 3 car hauler, they are alot cheaper anyways haha

Bobcat698
11-18-2007, 01:51 PM
no, didn't get sued. insurance covered it. the big deal was i did not have my CDL then.

if you weigh combinged weight 26k or under, and run farm tags, you do not need a CDL. if you are 26,001 you will need a CDL.

i am going based on my knowledge, confirm what i am saying is correct before you trust me haha, i have been known to make mistakes.

IF the trailer is bought personally, i would title it as farm trailer. if a company buys it, is MUST be titled as DOT trailer and you WILL have to have a CDL.

that is how the state's get their money.

last week i re-newed my 40' farm trailer: $5.60
renewed my 40' DOT trailer: $96.80

as far as the length of the trucks, 21' each = 42' combined, foot inbetween = 43', foot on tail = 44'. that will be extremely tough with folding ramps, even if you chain them up, it will still be tough... hmm.. get a 3 car hauler, they are alot cheaper anyways haha

A lot cheaper and flimsiers if you are talking about a wedge.

I am not going to get folding ramps, I'm getting the stand-up ramps which gets me the full 44' to work with.

I'd rather title it as a DOT trailer than get nailed when the "farm trailer" is in Texas hauling trucks when I live in WI..

We should be able to just go in and get our CDL's with the truck and trailer then.. I just won't get certified for air brakes, no need for it.

Bobcat698
11-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Most of next year I bet you I could get away with no CDL as we will be well below the 26k weight mark.

JerrodGlover
11-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Don't forget the weight box or bracket on both trucks when measuring those trucks.

Why not get a semi? You can pick on up for the price of a pick-up, sleep in it if needed, look cool and have an enclosed trailer for 2 trucks.

TXDSLSHOP
11-18-2007, 03:35 PM
I have to second the Semi, you can get a nice used truck for 10K to 15K that will out pull a 6.7 and you can register it as an RV. I have seen guys drop one of the rear axles to save weight and they pull mini floats with them. Fuel mileage is not as bad as you would think, around 10 MPG. Jeremy.

Tcolesanti
11-22-2007, 10:36 AM
plus trailer weight at 4k maybe?

A 44' trailer with 12,500lb axles is going to weigh alot more than 4K.

-Tom

GSM-01
11-22-2007, 11:06 AM
16k combo sounds a bit low if you going to be running 2 trucks with weights on it. The lenght Might also be a question as well. My buddy's got a 53fter and sometime you woner if the trucks are going to fit on there. My maint thing is the weight, I think your going to need alot higher than 16k, I'd just move up to 21k just to be safe, if not higher.

DCSpecial
11-22-2007, 12:55 PM
On some trailers the ramps will either fold flat or stand straight up depending on how you want/need to have them based on load.

A 44' trailer with 12,500lb axles is going to weigh alot more than 4K.

-Tom

Yep.

woodsrat
11-22-2007, 05:31 PM
You will need the CDL as stated. I was just nailed for this last year, with my 40 footer. With the load I only weighed 13000 but the trailer was capeable of 32000 and that is what they go by. Get the heavy axles and the elec. over hyd. brakes. But I also would go with the semi or at least a wedge with a soild bottom that you can put weights and tools in.

Chuck

Burner
11-25-2007, 07:58 PM
You might want to look at a trailer with a hydraulic tail, 10-15 ft. The tail will add some weight but cut down on your length. The rear of your trucks should not weigh much and most tails will pick 7k or better. The axeles.... In your case it really shouldn't matter. A set of 10k HD Dexter axles will do just fine with a max brake or Brake Smart brake controller. Unless you're hauling 40,000 miles a year the disks/hydro are not worth the expense.

Bobcat698
11-26-2007, 02:19 PM
You might want to look at a trailer with a hydraulic tail, 10-15 ft. The tail will add some weight but cut down on your length. The rear of your trucks should not weigh much and most tails will pick 7k or better. The axeles.... In your case it really shouldn't matter. A set of 10k HD Dexter axles will do just fine with a max brake or Brake Smart brake controller. Unless you're hauling 40,000 miles a year the disks/hydro are not worth the expense.

How would the tail cut down on length? I need 42 feet of space for the trucks..
Thats why I figure a 39+5.
You think with 2 trucks (tractor weights factored in) at 8k each total 16k that 10k hd dexters is enough capacity?

As far as the wedges go (not quoting you) I'm told they are flimsier than a deck over style design.

Tcolesanti
11-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Garret, figure 15% on the toungue, so 3K toungue weight for a trailer that weighs 20K loaded. So say the trucks weigh 16K and the trailer weighs 7K, just make sure you have 3K on the toungue, and your back to 20K on the trailer. Make sense?

-Tom

4x4dually
11-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Bobcat, call your local state police headquarters. Ask to talk to someone who is well versed in the state DOT regulations. That is the smartest ways to get the answers you are looking for. Don't take someone else's opinion for it because the tickets when you get into the "big trailer" world are NOT cheap!!! With my farm tagged truck and farm tagged trailer in OK I can haul anything I want as long as I'm within 150 miles of my farm. That don't mean I can over load it, but it keeps me from getting a CDL. And if you get DOT numbers for your rig I think you may be required to purchase commercial insurance for your rig as well. Do some checking. It varies from state to state and check the states you will travel through as well if you can. Some leg work up front will save you an enormous ticket down the road! Good luck. I'd love to be able to buy a new trailer like that.

Bobcat698
11-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Garret, figure 15% on the toungue, so 3K toungue weight for a trailer that weighs 20K loaded. So say the trucks weigh 16K and the trailer weighs 7K, just make sure you have 3K on the toungue, and your back to 20K on the trailer. Make sense?

-Tom

Got it! Just priced out a Sure-Trac Trailer with all the goodies..
They figure trailer capacity with 10k axles is 17k because 8-9k for trailer weight assuming 6k on the truck..
12k axles would up the capacity to 21k.

4x4dually
11-26-2007, 04:08 PM
What is the price on that bad boy????

Signature600
11-26-2007, 04:09 PM
10K Dexter's will handle it just fine;) Been up over 35K gross with a 30' 20K rated trailer. On it's second set of brakes, but that's it!

I second (or third:D) the Semi idea, even if it's an FL80 or similar (stay away from 3126 CAT's though!)...register it as an RV, the trailer will hold up better, the truck will last longer, and you'll be more happy and safer when towing;) Not any harder to drive once you're used to it, and it'll have more power AND brakes for what you're hauling!

One more thing about a CDL...once you have one, watch your driving. Points for violations count double;);) Definitely get one though, it won't hurt at all even in a pickup and trailer.

Bobcat698
11-26-2007, 04:52 PM
What is the price on that bad boy????

About $12k

Burner
11-26-2007, 08:53 PM
You spoke of the rear ramps, having to fold them. On a hydraulic tail you don't fold anything. Just load the truck on the ramp/tail and lift into place. You can use every inch of the trailer. Though, I would get a Brake Smart brake controller or something like it.

zstroken
11-26-2007, 11:19 PM
I have slide in ramps on my gooseneck. It allows use of every inch of the trailer.

IC-Smoke
11-27-2007, 12:25 AM
I priced out my 20+5 GN and when shopping I looked at the Sure Trac.... I wasnt impressed. Check out Corn Pro... I think its www.cornprotrailers.com... great stuff!

Id go semi!:poke:

Ian

Bobcat698
11-27-2007, 08:31 AM
You spoke of the rear ramps, having to fold them. On a hydraulic tail you don't fold anything. Just load the truck on the ramp/tail and lift into place. You can use every inch of the trailer. Though, I would get a Brake Smart brake controller or something like it.

I plan on using stand-up ramps.

4x4dually
11-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Remember, anything you stand up and leave up catches wind and creates even more drag. I like to fold my ramps back over on the desk and strap them down so they don't catch air and don't rattle to beat the band on every expansion joint. Slide-outs suck, but they are also not in the way if you have to hang something over the end of the trailer either. Options options options.... you gotta love it! :D

Bobcat698
11-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Remember, anything you stand up and leave up catches wind and creates even more drag. I like to fold my ramps back over on the desk and strap them down so they don't catch air and don't rattle to beat the band on every expansion joint. Slide-outs suck, but they are also not in the way if you have to hang something over the end of the trailer either. Options options options.... you gotta love it! :D

With 2 trucks on the trailer I won't be to worried about drag :)

4x4dually
11-27-2007, 10:21 AM
I know. Just trying to help you think of everything for the perfect trailer. You know you'll be helping everyone move right???? :D

Bobcat698
11-29-2007, 11:33 AM
I know. Just trying to help you think of everything for the perfect trailer. You know you'll be helping everyone move right???? :D

:) Appreciated.

Do you think slide-out ramps will hold up?

zstroken
11-29-2007, 11:55 AM
I have slide outs on mine. Only drawback is that it wants to lift the front of the trailer when I load the truck. I have loaded and unloaded the truck with the trailer unhooked. It just lifts the tongue in the air and I just back off of the ramps slow and ease the tongue back down.

TXDSLSHOP
11-29-2007, 12:04 PM
I have a 24 foot trailer that I haul trucks on, and it has 3 inch channel ramps that are 6 foot long. I have loaded four door 4 wheel drive ford's and they are still nice and straight. They slide in from the rear of the trailer. Jeremy.

4x4dually
11-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Mount a screw down jack on both rear corners of your trailer that pivots up and pins. Then you can swing them down and drop them to keep your trailer from moving. This makes up for the anchors that are usually found on the bottom of the foldup ramps that keep this from happening. Unless you unload a #22K pettibone loader in gravel. Then the ramps will flip up and pick the back of your pickup up in the air about 2 feet. Ask me how I know... :D

JerrodGlover
11-29-2007, 04:59 PM
I have a 24 foot trailer that I haul trucks on, and it has 3 inch channel ramps that are 6 foot long. I have loaded four door 4 wheel drive ford's and they are still nice and straight. They slide in from the rear of the trailer. Jeremy.

Those must be some short trucks to get two on a 24 foot trailer.:umno:

Burner
11-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Glover..... I think he means on 4 different occasions.

Bobcat698
12-01-2007, 10:43 AM
I got some specs on the slide-out ramps... They have a 5k capacity each and weigh 80-90lbs each.
5k is decent, but if I want to haul something heavier than a truck I don't want to be limited by my ramps.

I am going to see if they can build me set of stand up ramps that will also fold up and over to lay on the deck when I'm only hauling one truck.

I will be ordering the trailer Tuesday.

zstroken
12-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Remember if it is 5k per ramp,that is 10K and you will only have one axle on them at a time. Gives you pretty much 20k

TXDSLSHOP
12-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Sorry, should of said 4-door 4X4 Ford trucks (heavy). Jeremy.

Texas Red
12-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Have you already purchased one? (Didn't read the entire thread)
On a 44' GVWR of 24,999 my price is $7555.

Burner
12-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Dang, that's cheap. How much does it weigh?

Bobcat698
12-03-2007, 12:29 AM
Have you already purchased one? (Didn't read the entire thread)
On a 44' GVWR of 24,999 my price is $7555.

Sounds a bit cheap Texas Red.. is that a single-use only trailer?

Texas Red
12-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Dang, that's cheap. How much does it weigh?

A little more than the one you got from me;) (If you are who I think you are)

Bobcat, I responded to your PM, I'll be a bit cheaper than they quoted you.

thejdman04
12-06-2007, 12:50 PM
id recommend baker built trailers

4x4dually
12-06-2007, 12:59 PM
There are a lot of "Elite" brands running around here. I don't know where they are built but look nice.

Send us pic of the one you buy when you get it!! :D

house
12-27-2007, 08:05 PM
buy this and no worries
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/53-ft-air-ride-race-car-tractor-pullers-dirt-track_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ80769QQihZ001QQit emZ110208816709QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

revolutiondsl
01-15-2008, 06:06 PM
must agree house then you can haul anything you want its secure you can sleep in it. im a lot more comfortable hauling weight like that in a big rig then a pick up the semi is going to get decent mileage cause it will be loaded light just my opinion dont know how much you want to spend

Burner
01-15-2008, 08:02 PM
I thought any "RV" ya got had to have a 'head' to be classified as an RV?

revolutiondsl
01-16-2008, 09:51 PM
probably right just put a crapper in the trailer but ive saw old buses plated as RVs with no head so im not sure

Moremph
01-16-2008, 11:50 PM
garret i agree semi si best,

i bought a brand new 25+5 pro trak last year was a nice trailer but i sold it, In the mean time i borrowed a sure trac with the hydraulic dovetail, thought the trailer was shoddy itself but love the dovetail. My next trailer will have a hydraulic dovetail!!!! for sure You can get a trailer just short enought to get the back wheels up on the deck the lift it up. Helps getting in and out of those tight pulls, PJ and Brute both make what appears to be nice hydraulic trailers

If you are ordering one be sure toget dual 2 spd jacks, an integrated winch plate, and steps on both side, and if you can figure out about where your doors will be on the trucks when loaded get some steps thier it is always a pain in the rear climbing on the trailer or shimmyin down the side of a truck

Travis

BluegrassDiesel
01-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Garret i really think youd be better of going with the semi if you plan on pulling 2 trucks. A 44ft. gooseneck weighing in at least #23,000 loaded with 2 trucks and weights, is a heck of a load for any pickup, especially a 3/4 ton single wheel. Sure its got plenty of power to pull it, but more important is the handling and braking. You might be surprised what kind of a deal you can get on a good tractor/trailer combo. Or you could go ahead and get the trailer, and put in an order for a Dodge 4500 or 5500. That would look sweeeet:evil
Just my $.02

K5KRAZIE
01-17-2008, 01:01 AM
I was looking into this for the rounds last year, although I think your going to find that a 40 some foot trailer is going to be tight... Though I never did get anything as only one truck was running all year I think cause of the weight alone I settled on getting a tandem dual wedge. It just makes more sence towing with a 3/4-1 ton truck. I personally wouldn't do it with out duals on the truck as well, but thats just me. I'm still more likely than not going to get the wedge, the deck overs are just to damn heavy for towing 3/4 ton trucks with 3/4 ton trucks...

Burner
01-26-2008, 12:00 AM
A little more than the one you got from me;) (If you are who I think you are)

Bobcat, I responded to your PM, I'll be a bit cheaper than they quoted you.

It's not a 40ft'er, 7 feet shy.... Over 15k doesn't seem to sway it much.

dmaxalliTech
01-26-2008, 09:34 PM
So, say you already have a semi and a 53' enclosed drop deck...how do you get RV plates on the tractor? I've tried and its a no go in MI with out going through all sorts of BS. Basically, you have to put a RV box on the back, no condo sleepers....

Burner
01-26-2008, 10:12 PM
I might call one of the conversion places and ask them for a little help. I'm sure they could use yours every now and again.

Bobcat698
02-01-2008, 09:56 PM
We are on the way home with the trailer right now, thread here:
http://competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22334

I did purchase a 99 3500 Dually, so we will not be hauling this trailer with 2 trucks behind a SRW truck, as some of you thought I was going to do.

95psd
02-12-2008, 04:39 AM
As for the cdl couldn't you just get the heavy trailor endorsement.
(this endorsement allows you to tow trailors of any weight provided that neither the truck nor trailor has air brakes) quoted from the commercial DL book.
allows you to operate truck trailor of any gvw without air brakes. I don't know if this applies to you guys.

Burner
02-12-2008, 08:13 AM
That won't fly. All that matters is the GCWV on your paper. Anything else is up for debate.

95psd
02-12-2008, 04:41 PM
you could have the gvw on the truck changed