PDA

View Full Version : JD 4230 to 4430?

Justice4all
12-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Is there any reason I couldn't convert a 4230 into a 4430 performance wise? And exactly what components would it take to get there?

gotta12v
12-06-2007, 11:37 AM
putting an inline A model bosch injection pump would be the first change, as a 4230 has a rotary pump.

Justice4all
12-22-2007, 02:15 PM
What about cooling capacity? Are there any differences?

JDGnut
01-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Probably little difference in the radaitor.. and maybe the number of plates n the oil cooler.. (I'd have to look up the parts..) But on the engine... you'll either have to build an a trick adapter.. (Ive seen it done..) or you'll have to change the block... or pull it and have it machined for an A pump mount... If are going through that kind of work.. might as well, just go for a Ppump mount.. the pattern is a little wider for the p pump.. and the hole is a little bigger.. the problem with the adpater, is then factory lines will not fit..
Your best bet is to find a complete engine.. I'd look for a 40-55 series engine.. (55 would be the best.. but probaby the hardest to find.) that would give you the 466.. also get you away from the cam driven oil pump..)
Bryan

BlackSkyRacing
06-29-2008, 02:47 AM
Your best bet is to find a complete engine.. I'd look for a 40-55 series engine.. (55 would be the best.. but probaby the hardest to find.) that would give you the 466.. also get you away from the cam driven oil pump..)
Bryan

X2 the radiator in a 4230 is a 3 core while a 4430 is a 5 core radiator. A complete engine from a 50 or 55 series is definitely the best choice in that there were some serious improvements made in the engine; everything from airflow improvements to connecting rod improvements. EDIT: forgot to mention you also get the added benefit of going from a 404 to a 466 :rockwoot:

I realize you have probably already done something with this anyways, but I would like to stress that if the thought ever crossed your mind about turbo charging your 4230 DON'T DO IT :badidea:. The 4230 had a smaller combustion chamber in the piston to raise the compression; it was Deere's way of attempting to make them start easier and use less fuel. If you were to be in the market for an overhaul on the other hand, just get a 4430 kit (for the different pistons) and the rest of the stuff to turbo charge your tractor, then talk to your local pump shop about the adjustments to get a little more fuel out of the DM4 pump that your tractor is equipped with.