PDA

View Full Version : new shoes!

SSpeeDEMONSS
07-09-2006, 07:04 PM
well, i finally got some new tires. 315/75-16 Toyo Open Country M/T. they are really nice. it raised my truck a whole 2.5". the only downside is that it rubs a little. guess ill just have to fix that with a little more lift. does anybody if it'll be bad to cut the part where it rubs on the inside of the fender? here's the pics.

Garrett

SuperDave4x4
07-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Looks good! :evil That aggressive tire deffinently makes the truck look tough.

BigBlue
07-09-2006, 08:03 PM
I took a heat gun and some black zipties to mine. Also trimmed the lower plastic part of the front bumper flush with the metal. I get a little rub now depending on where my foot is at when turning. I'm running 295's with stock suspension.

Dalpilot
07-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Just zip tie the fenders back. Works great! Looks really nice there too.

SSpeeDEMONSS
07-09-2006, 10:50 PM
thanks guys. it really surprised me how much it changed the look of my truck. im going to try to zip tie them back tomorrow at work. ill post up again, maybe with some more pics.

Garrett

4S FED
07-10-2006, 12:28 AM
I haven't seen the new Open Country M/T's yet! Those look SICK! :ylsuper:

nummit
07-10-2006, 07:15 AM
Looks like a Superduty should! Nice job

Betaracer
07-10-2006, 09:57 AM
For the liner rub, I pulled it (the liner) back using a 1/4" x 4" galvanized carriage bolt through the liner. I bolted 3/4" heavy weight galvanized plumbing strapping to the backside of the pinchweld using one of the holes and 1/4" x 1" galv bolt. I threaded a nut then washer quite far onto the carriage bolt and then slid the strapping onto the bolt such that another washer and bolt were just able to thread on by hand. Next I tightened the nut and pulled back the liner until I had the clearance I needed and then locked everything in place using the nut and washer which were threaded onto the carriage bolt first.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/photo/data/500/medium/Fender_liner_adjustment_003.jpg

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/photo/data/500/medium/Fender_liner_adjustment_001.jpg

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/photo/data/500/medium/June_28_2006_007s.jpg

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/photo/data/500/medium/June_28_2006_009s.jpg

SSpeeDEMONSS
07-10-2006, 05:31 PM
i was able to pull them back a little with some big zip ties but they still rub if i hit a bump or the brakes while turning. oh well, i dont hear it on jus simple turns. i am definately going to have to lift it some more. would i be able to use a rear add-a-leaf on the front for another inch or two?

Garrett

SSpeeDEMONSS
07-10-2006, 05:46 PM
another quick question, if i were to get the mini spring pack from donahoe, would the shocks i have on it now work? or would they be too short? thanks.

Garrett

Betaracer
07-10-2006, 07:22 PM
The mini pack goes between the leaf and the axle, and the shock mount is on the top of the main springs. You are not changing the distance of the shock legth, so no, you do not need to get new shocks. You might need to adjust your drag link to recenter the steering wheel.

SSpeeDEMONSS
07-11-2006, 05:57 PM
what about a drop pitman arm? or a larger drop pitman arm?

nummit
07-11-2006, 06:20 PM
I haven't seen the new Open Country M/T's yet! Those look SICK! :ylsuper:

I agree!
They look like a very agressive Goodyear MTR

Betaracer
07-11-2006, 07:46 PM
You need to go to over 3" lift before you need to worry about drop pitmans, trackbar relocation, swaybar end links, shocks... The edge mini pack is designed to add 2" lift without the rest of the changes.

SSpeeDEMONSS
07-12-2006, 06:17 PM
beta- i already have a 3-3.5" leveling kit. so with the mini pack i should be around 5-6" of lift in the front. what do you recommend me replacing?

Betaracer
07-12-2006, 11:17 PM
The mini pack can only be used with a stock spring configuration (ie. NO ADD-A-LEAFS). I just clued in that you have an already higher truck. How high do you want to go? Just enough to clear the tires, or high enough to clear the tires on rough terrain?

For the off road option, there are a few options for you to ponder, but they all involve getting about 4" of lift. At 4" you should use a drop pitman, longer shock, drop tracbar, swaybar end link alteration, etc

1. Replace the current front springs with 4" springs (4" lift)
2. Remove added leafs and use 4.5" hangers (4.5" lift)
3. Use current springs and 3" hangers (5+" lift)

There are a number of brands, but you get what you pay for as far as ride quality or quality of materials and workmanship. I am going with Donahoe Racing, but Fabtech offer good product. As of now, I bet we are very similar with how our trucks are setup. I'll expand with my plans below.

I just bought my 35" tires a short while ago and I thought I had enough lift. Lo and behold, I needed to do some trimming of the front valence, and pull back my fender liner. I also had to change my steering stop slightly to stop the tire rub on my right spring. Under normal driving, I have no rub, even on slightly uneven terrain. The larger bumps with the wheels partially turned still rub, so I am getting....

I am presently sitting at about 2+" over stock with my current added leaf setup. I added an extra leaf in the rear to gain 3" extra of lift over stock. I am getting the DR 4.5" hanger system (new shocks f & r, drop pitman arm, drop trackbar bracket, longer swaybar links, front bump stop extenders, 5" rear block, rear ubolts, drop hangers and shackles for front ) but replacing the 4.5" hangers with 3" hangers so my total lift will be just over 5". The system comes with a 5" block to raise the rear 4" over stock. I am new to the big tire scene, but have tried to gather enough info to help make my choices easier.

I hope to have all the parts next week, and then install them the weekend following.

www.fordtruckworld.com has many knowledgeable people when it comes to suspension questions. Once you figure out the height you want to acheive, the choices become easier.

SSpeeDEMONSS
07-13-2006, 05:23 PM
i think you might be misunderstanding my lift. i have 3-3.5" drop brackets for the front with stock front leafs. i want to add the mini pack to my stock leafs and keep my drop brackets. so, depending on which mini pack i get, ill be around 5-6" of lift. as i see it, another 2-2.5" of lift should be more than enough for the off roading that i do and should keep my tires from rubbing. i just need to know that if i go from 3" to 5.5-6" of lift will i need new shocks? new pitman arm? what else will i need to do? thanks again.

Garrett

Betaracer
07-13-2006, 09:40 PM
If you have stock springs, using the mini pack will be fine. Because you will cross the 3.5" barrier, you will need the items I listed before. Drop pitman, drop tracbar hanger, longer shocks, etc. I think you can reposition the swaybar so you don't need to get new end links.

SSpeeDEMONSS
07-14-2006, 03:16 PM
i think i will be ok with the sway bar end links. they hang down pretty low and think it will be ok. i guess there's only one way to find out. as for shocks, ill be ok with the ones i have now, i wont need any long ones since the axle is moving, not the whole spring pack. maybe i will only need a new pitman arm, that would be nice. anyways, thanks again for the help. hopefully soon ill be able to post some pics of it lifted more.

Garrett

DR Ryan
08-16-2006, 04:45 PM
If you add the mini spring pack to our 3" hanger kit, you will need our box kit as well to keep the steering geometry correct. That comes with the pitman arm, sway bar links, and pan-rod bar drop bracket. As well as all the hardware necessary and things like that.