Which Engine

Spectre32

Welding Extraordinaire!
If you had to choose to do it all over again, which engine based truck would you have selected(I'm still talkin in the Duramax region, not jumping ship on the general).

The federal emission trucks don't have that emissions crap & fuel gets split before the rails instead of feeding off of the other one like the LLY.
pain in the asses though, injectors inside valve covers & injector hold downs.

So it sounds like it is a slightly more reselent engine and able to take upgrades better. If i recall I thought the LB7 also got some pretty guel fuel numbers.

LB7 here, with 01' you get no emission's crap at all, not even a cat. conv. We have made 600+ RWHP on ours, but on 01's head studs are reccommend, because of bad head gasket design.

Do the turbos need different pedistals like the Ford do if you want to get something bigger?

How eay/hard is it to tear apart the truck with the engine still in it? Is it as impossible as a 6.0L Ford?

Yeah pretty much... couple that with how much free time I have at "work" does not help my sanario.

Spectre32 said:
How eay/hard is it to tear apart the truck with the engine still in it? Is it as impossible as a 6.0L Ford?

"tear apart"??? If you mean change the turbo.... I hear for most people its NOT a quick job. More like a solid day if you are mechanically apt and a weekend if you aren't. That said, a couple guys swapped a charger out on a pulling truck in the pits while the class started. By the end of the class, they made their hook. :bow: :clap: I would not expect to be able to do that if I were you. :D

Bottom line, it's tight and probably not considered an easy engine compartment to work in. While it might not be hard, it could be time consuming.

c-ya

SmokeShow said:
"tear apart"??? If you mean change the turbo.... I hear for most people its NOT a quick job. More like a solid day if you are mechanically apt and a weekend if you aren't. That said, a couple guys swapped a charger out on a pulling truck in the pits while the class started. By the end of the class, they made their hook. :bow: :clap: I would not expect to be able to do that if I were you. :D

Bottom line, it's tight and probably not considered an easy engine compartment to work in. While it might not be hard, it could be time consuming.

c-ya

X2...turbos are easy to swap IF somebody has been there and done it before AND put anti-seize on every bolt...LOL...overall I don't think the d-max is anywhere near as bad to work on as a 6 leaker...

Well I'm just trying to gain info for what my next truck will be. Unless osmehtign happens with the EPA crap on the new engines i'm gonan stick with 06's and lower. I run B100 fuel so being able to tear componetns of the fuesl system off is a big plus... looks like I might need to get something witht he cummins in it.

Back