PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Locker

JJeepyjohn
04-24-2006, 09:26 PM
Ok, Who out there has got a Det Locker and what kinda $$ are they running
Who's got the best prices on them? I need to know cause I need to get one..OK Im gonna get one :rockwoot: :aiwebs_011:
The :rules: say you need a locker for better gription if you got a 2WD truck.

UNBROKEN
04-24-2006, 09:44 PM
I was quoted about 850 bucks installed in Houston.
Higher than some...but the shops reputation is incredible...and they've done work for me in the past.

4S FED
04-24-2006, 09:55 PM
I was quoted about 850 bucks installed in Houston.
Higher than some...but the shops reputation is incredible...and they've done work for me in the past.

I wouldn't mind having one on the 4x4... That sounds like a good deal, Rich. :aiwebs_020:

JJeepyjohn
04-24-2006, 10:14 PM
$850.- Installed HHMMMM..
my guess is 2 hr labor $50.- fluid Still seems alittle high but like you said.That shops done work for you before so I know how that goes. You know its done right..
Anyone else??

4S FED
04-24-2006, 10:18 PM
$850.- Installed HHMMMM..
my guess is 2 hr labor $50.- fluid Still seems alittle high but like you said.That shops done work for you before so I know how that goes. You know its done right..
Anyone else??

What is the diff. between putting in a DETROIT and swapping gears? (Besides doing BOTH front and rear)

I thought a gear swap was around $1200 at most dealers....

JJeepyjohn
04-24-2006, 10:34 PM
4S FED
A Detroit is real traction. The factory LS uses clutches and they will eventually start to slip/not work after awhile of racing and such. Thats what mines doing. With the Det its gears that engage and lock not clutches.
Ive been talking to a few companies so Ill be ordering one soon.

6point6
04-24-2006, 10:38 PM
You really might as well swap out the gears when you do it.....if you want lower gears that is...

4S FED
04-24-2006, 10:38 PM
4S FED
A Detroit is real traction. The factory LS uses clutches and they will eventually start to slip/not work after awhile of racing and such. Thats what mines doing. With the Det its gears that engage and lock not clutches.
Ive been talking to a few companies so Ill be ordering one soon.

Thanks, John. I understand the mechanics behind the swap to Detroits. :thankyou2:

I was just asking if the actual SWAP intailed the same as a gear swap. :confused: If it is the same labor time, I will opt for the DT's when I do mine.

wideopen
04-24-2006, 10:51 PM
I think John just wants the traction of both wheels..not one spinning untill the Limited Slip kicks in.

JJeepyjohn
04-24-2006, 10:58 PM
I was just asking if the actual SWAP intailed the same as a gear swap. :confused: If it is the same labor time, I will opt for the DT's when I do mine.

Almost the same. From what I was told if the backlash is good/the same as when you removed the factory carrier and you put the shims in the same place you took them out of then your good to go. If its not then you'll have to go and reshim everything Pinion gear and ring gear. Theres no need to touch the pinion gear in a carrier swap unless the backlash is out of spec.
Hope this helps/makes sense :aiwebs_012:

UNBROKEN
04-24-2006, 10:59 PM
Here's a tip to get you through those times when you got the one wheel peel happening.
Put it in reverse and goose it...then put it in drive. It kinda locks up the factory LS.
Sounds wierd...but since DJ told me about it...I've done it several times and it's always worked.

JJeepyjohn
04-24-2006, 11:00 PM
I think John just wants the traction of both wheels..not one spinning untill the Limited Slip kicks in.
Limited slip kicks in LOL thats funny its not even doin that too much lately.. Not even on wet grass :dead-horse-fast2:

wideopen
04-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Cause your to hard on it..

JJeepyjohn
04-24-2006, 11:08 PM
Cause your to hard on it..
Now what makes you go and say something like that :aiwebs_019:

DCSpecial
04-25-2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks, John. I understand the mechanics behind the swap to Detroits. :thankyou2:

If you are having gears installed that is definately the time to install a locker. It will save on labor for the install of the locker. To do the gears you're pulling the carrier and ring and pinion out of the housing.

When just doing a locker you may be able to get away with just the stock shims if the flange for the ring gear to bolt to is in the same location as the stock carrier. I know on my ARB it was slightly different than the stock LSD so we had to shim accordingly...

JJeepyjohn
04-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Here's a tip to get you through those times when you got the one wheel peel happening.
Put it in reverse and goose it...then put it in drive. It kinda locks up the factory LS.
Sounds wierd...but since DJ told me about it...I've done it several times and it's always worked.
Ive been doin that for a few years now.. It will eventually wear out :aiwebs_026:

JJeepyjohn
04-25-2006, 09:02 PM
I think I told DJ about that last year in ATL..
Hey Phil, Wheres the EDIT button ???

I ordered my DET LOCKER Today.. should have by Friday..

JJeepyjohn
04-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Well the Man in the brown truck stopped by today and dropped off a package..:bigsmile: Now I just gotta install it.. Cant wait :rockwoot:

Ontherks
04-28-2006, 11:42 PM
You still will have to reshim even with using the same amount of shim as the old one. On the end of the pinion is a numbe engrave, and also on the ring gear, unless those numbers match the one coming out it will need reshiming. But its a good starting point. Ive done about 10 sets.

JJeepyjohn
04-28-2006, 11:51 PM
I havent done any sets, so Ill have to pony up some green to get it done. Im not gonna try it on my own without seeing it done before. Ive got the basic Idea on how to do it and I probably could but Im not gonna chance it..Ya know what Im sayin YO!

DCSpecial
04-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Yeah.....an improperly setup gear set with cause you headaches when it fails...always good to have an experienced shop do the work if you haven't done them before.

JJeepyjohn
05-02-2006, 09:36 PM
I have my appt for next Tues...:woohoo:
Man I cant wait :drool:

4S FED
05-03-2006, 09:20 PM

I have heard that before... Glad to see it actually works! :)

sredish
05-10-2006, 10:02 AM
I buy all my gears/lockers from Randy's. Seem to have the best prices, then either install them myself or find a local shop that I trust. My tranny shops have guys that can do this kind of install.

JJeepyjohn
05-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Randy's is great, I talked with them and would have got it from them but Id get gigged on taxes. I ended up getting it from DTS. great bunch also.

JJeepyjohn
05-18-2006, 03:38 PM
been runnin the locker for about a week now and I have to say its very streetable and the traction is there when you need it :ylsuper: I towed a little with it and it seems to be good you just have to plan you turns when there alot of weight on it. Not really a big deal thou. Im glad I got it :woohoo: