PDA

View Full Version : Seen my first blown up 6.4L Powerstroke

Big A
12-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Ford dealer has a 6.4L that has a rod through the block. Looks real funny with no cab or bed. Just a chassis sitting there. From what I found out Ford is covering it under Warranty. I know the guy ran a SCT Livewire in it. He said it blew up going down the road at over 100 mph. After this happened he couldn't get the truck back to stock so the performance tune was stuck in it. I don't know any more than that. However I will do some more digging to find out, and keep you updated.:thankyou2:

WUnderwood
12-13-2007, 12:08 AM
have any pics?

is this the first one so far?

wow, is all I gotta say

DMAXcountry
12-13-2007, 12:16 AM
[QUOTE= From what I found out Ford is covering it under Warranty. QUOTE]

well good for Ford... glad to hear it.

Racebooths
12-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Definatly first rod through the block. I have heard of 3 getting new engines under warranty. Dont know if they blew up, head trouble or what. I know one was stock with no tuner, exhaust or intake.

SINNER
12-13-2007, 04:29 AM
I personally know of 2 that are done. 1 had a crank damaged by a broken flex plate and 1 hydrolocked from a failed headgasket.

Dalpilot
12-13-2007, 05:42 AM
I saw one yesterday that they were replacing the motor on with 5K. Guy ran straight Biodiesel. Guess it didn't like it.

RSieck
12-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Heard of a couple injector tips breaking off and grenading the motors, but that had somthing to do with assembly...

wideopen
12-13-2007, 08:42 AM
30K Ticking Time Bomb.

partsguy662
12-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Ford dealer has a 6.4L that has a rod through the block. Looks real funny with no cab or bed. Just a chassis sitting there. From what I found out Ford is covering it under Warranty. I know the guy ran a SCT Livewire in it. He said it blew up going down the road at over 100 mph. After this happened he couldn't get the truck back to stock so the performance tune was stuck in it. I don't know any more than that. However I will do some more digging to find out, and keep you updated.:thankyou2:

Sounds like they have more than enough evidence to tell the owner of the truck to get his check book out.

nummit
12-13-2007, 06:42 PM
How does a file get stuck in a truck? The truck isn't running when being programmed, so if there is still power to the pcm shouldn't it flash with no problem?

SINNER
12-13-2007, 07:27 PM
I flashed my truck back to stock with the engine sitting on a pallet. No BS. i forgot to do it before I took it apart. It flashed it back to stock and Im using the sct on a work truck now.

Abrannan19
12-13-2007, 07:31 PM
I know of one that was blow up here about 4 months ago..cant remember what exactly it was that happened but it was something to do with oil..

Big A
12-13-2007, 09:11 PM
How does a file get stuck in a truck? The truck isn't running when being programmed, so if there is still power to the pcm shouldn't it flash with no problem?

Don't know exactly. I've flashed a 6.0L back to stock when it wouldn't run. I also had a 6.0L that wouldn't re-flash back to stock. Dealer didn't pick it up even though they reflashed the computer.

Kman9090
12-18-2007, 01:34 AM
1st of many more to come I'm sure. As more people start adding power adders to these thing I am sure your gonna see some more grenading. I'm not talking down the powerstroke either just stating facts, Heck I've been there with my cummins but shes alive again with 600 horse.

TexRob
12-23-2007, 01:32 AM
I saw one yesterday that they were replacing the motor on with 5K. Guy ran straight Biodiesel. Guess it didn't like it. I bet Ford doesn't cover that one under warranty!

redfishman17
12-23-2007, 09:23 AM
If it was still tuned and they decided to cover it under warranty, they must have determined that it was a manufacturing defect.

Crawler
12-23-2007, 11:38 AM
If it was still tuned and they decided to cover it under warranty, they must have determined that it was a manufacturing defect.

No, it means that the Area Rep or FOMOCO Rep didn't know it was tuned.
Tune=Denial of Warranty. Legal or not, that's how it works.

~Wes~

DMAXcountry
12-23-2007, 12:08 PM
:nopics:

redfishman17
12-23-2007, 12:40 PM

~Wes~

True..... you would think they would have checked the PCM and voided the warranty with a window in the block.

malibu795
12-23-2007, 12:55 PM
True..... you would think they would have checked the PCM and voided the warranty with a window in the block.
i know GM can not "read" the ecm. and would imagine the same for ford. at a dealer level.

i know there are way to find out say rail pressue is max by 2000 verse 2600rpm via the scan tool but most techies arent that smart

Racebooths
12-27-2007, 08:54 PM

~Wes~

They have to prove that the tune caused the problem. There is a very fine line and it is being tested on these new trucks.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act covers this. "The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty."

Big A
12-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Yeah....However if Ford finds out its tuned and you have a blown up motor or something major that requires the dealer to get aproval your probably going to get denied. Trust me they don't care about the MMWA you stated above. They will deny you and tell you if you don't like it take them to court. First you only have one year to file the complaint. Second you have to find a lawyer that is willing to take them to court. Third they will tie you up in a bunch of BS. All the while you have to pay your lawyer. In the end you still might not win.....:rules:

That's what happens when your a big company that has alot of lawyers on a retainer for big bucks........ :thankyou2: :pop: