PDA

View Full Version : A+ customer service but longevity?

smokin247
12-29-2016, 12:23 PM
My airdog 200 gph died in 171.4 miles. Just finished a brand new engine build that took me a few years to fund and complete. I had the airdog on the shelf since 2013. I was ready for a lengthy phone call and some begging for an easy solution :stab: but much to my surprise a quick 15 minute phone call had a 240 gph motor on its way to me. Truth be told I'm extremely disappointed I'm already replacing the fuel pump that was installed a week ago but I'm glad it's a company that stood behind their product. Wish me luck on the next one. :rockwoot:

sootie
12-29-2016, 01:08 PM
if you didnt get a 4g replacement, be prepared to be doing it again.

smokin247
01-01-2017, 11:50 AM
I might be getting the 4g. After looking for a 240 pump and only finding 200 4g pumps online. Maybe I thought I heard "200-40 pump" but he actually said "200 4g pump".

smokin247
01-03-2017, 03:40 PM
Well I just received my replacement motor..................
Says it is a df-165-4g. P/n: 901-70-0400-w. Did I just get screwed? They told me the 200 gph isn't enough to keep up with the pressure I was running then they send me a smaller pump?

And they're closed.

9724VF350
01-03-2017, 04:27 PM
It's very possible that they run the same motor on both a 165 and 200. Assuming they both run the same rpm, the pump rotor is what would make the gpm difference.

smokin247
01-04-2017, 10:39 AM
Update for anyone who ends up in this thread in the future.
I spoke to airdog. They did send me the 165 4g because of my current modest horsepower. I had the 200 gph because I have plans to keep adding but they told me they have had people run the 165 pump over 1000 hp, and the 200 gph would be more likely to burn out running it with such low horsepower. They followed that up by saying if the 165 pump ever becomes too small for my application they will upgrade me free of charge.

Great company!:thankyou2:

Hammer
01-07-2017, 10:33 PM
I spoke to airdog. They did send me the 165 4g because of my current modest horsepower. I had the 200 gph because I have plans to keep adding but they told me they have had people run the 165 pump over 1000 hp, and the 200 gph would be more likely to burn out running it with such low horsepower.

WTF???????....
Please tell Me you asked them how that could be possible?.I'd LOVE to hear that explanation. No matter if its a 165gph or a 200gph the reason it failed will be the same.

BRE
01-07-2017, 11:28 PM
Sending me a pump for what they "thought" I needed vs what I had purchased, is not what I'd consider A+ customer service.
Had they confronted me about it and I ok'd it, it'd be different.

smokin247
01-08-2017, 01:06 AM
I didn't bother asking the tech help person. I would imagine their thought is pushing 200 gph through a pump that isn't using near that amount of fuel is more of a restriction and therefore the 200 gph is working harder? And I was pissed I was sent a smaller pump without discussing it but if they want to give me free upgrades if I need it in the future and this pump is better suited for my HP level now, I'm not too worried about it.

This pump is definitely different than the old airdog2 pump. Runs silent and no vibration. The old pump I could almost hear over the engine. As long as it lasts I'll be happy.

smokin247
06-09-2017, 05:21 PM
Well the NEW version 4g motor lasted a mind blowing 958 miles. Left the house running 40 psi 20 miles later 0 psi. Changed the filter. Still 0 psi. What is this crap! Spend $700 for a pump that doesn't last a few months. I don't even drive the truck daily. I'm banging my head against the wall. Where's the 5g pump????

dummins
06-09-2017, 07:17 PM
Be a regular guy buy a fass.

12vCumminsFTW
06-09-2017, 07:57 PM
I haven't had much luck either. Went thru 3 of the old style pumps, now on a 165 4g. pressure varies all the time and doesn't hold pressure with a stock pump and small injectors. Hopefully it lasts till my next build then I'm getting a fass

Rich dzl
06-09-2017, 09:38 PM
I don't know how air dog sells pumps with the amount of motor failures they have .. maybe someone should make a USA built motors to replace air dogs China parts .

smokin247
06-10-2017, 05:02 AM
Pressure started to drop to 20 then come back up over the last 100 miles but it's over now. Doesn't even put enough fuel out to start the truck. Can't believe a company can be dishonest enough to keep selling their product that doesn't work. Close your doors or buy good motors it's that simple.

RonA
06-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Both brands suck. I ran a stock 12 valve pump on my p-pumped 24v and it never gave me any trouble. You'll always be able to make it home with 12v pump.

9724VF350
06-10-2017, 04:43 PM
Both brands suck. I ran a stock 12 valve pump on my p-pumped 24v and it never gave me any trouble. You'll always be able to make it home with 12v pump.

Even better, if you have your pump at a pump shop, have them put the mechanical pump on the side of it. Run 2 mechanical lift pumps.

RonA
06-10-2017, 08:06 PM
With as much innovation as there is out there, I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with a dual mechanical pump setup using 2 12V pumps. Last for years and put out more fuel than you'd ever need.

smokin247
07-19-2017, 01:43 PM
Update..... pureflow said they would send me a new motor out. It's been a month... Still no motor. Tried to drive the truck to pick up my motorcycle jack... 5 mile round trip. Well the pump quit completely doesn't turn at all and I'm stuck on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. Absolutely do not buy airdog fuel pumps!!!

smokin247
07-19-2017, 02:28 PM
Talked to airdog while I'm walking home in the 95 degree weather. They said yeah we remember saying we would send you one but we didnt. We will send you one today. And for my trouble they said I don't have to go through the hassle of sending the old one back.. lucky me. Once again do not buy an airdog fuel pump, unless you don't plan to ever drive the truck.

2Tone12V
07-20-2017, 10:06 AM
Sorry i missed this. I think i could have been a big help for you from the start.

9 LIVES
07-20-2017, 04:44 PM
I've had the same issues from FASS as I have with my airdogs. I don't know if anyone makes a bullet proof fuel system?

sootie
07-20-2017, 06:01 PM
Fuelab is quite reliable ...

duramax 55
07-20-2017, 06:07 PM
Fuelab is quite reliable ...

same here,i being running the velocity 200 for two years now,no problems so far

okie18
07-20-2017, 10:16 PM
My old ad150 has been going 8 years but it's gotten weaker to where it won't hold pressure under heavy fueling. I did have it replaced the first month I had it from the motor being louder than he11 but the replacement has been good since. Guess I lucked out the second try to get one that lasted this long by the sounds of it lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

smokin247
07-24-2017, 03:06 PM
Received the new motor today I'll put it on by the end of the week and I'll be sure to post next time I have issues. I had a full Waterman fuel set up to go in with the new engine but reality made me sell the go fast parts when I needed a welding truck instead of a race truck. The one thing I should have kept was the waterman.

1stgensleeper
07-24-2017, 03:12 PM
Belt or gear driven fuel pumps seem to be where it's at in my opinion. Straight cut gears lubed by fuel and a pump that's ran off the engine itself leave little to go wrong with them.

zfaylor
07-24-2017, 07:12 PM
I think a lot of circumstance applies to the longevity of these pumps. I have had two vp trucks over the years with airdogs and they had zero issues for years. I just purchased a wrecked vp truck this week and the air dog got smashed. Put two new filters on it and it works perfectly.

12vCumminsFTW
07-25-2017, 01:14 AM
I think a lot of circumstance applies to the longevity of these pumps. I have had two vp trucks over the years with airdogs and they had zero issues for years. I just purchased a wrecked vp truck this week and the air dog got smashed. Put two new filters on it and it works perfectly.

I know quite a few people with VP and CR trucks that have had no issues at all. Seems like the higher pressure ones for p pumps have way more problems but idk

thatguy69
07-25-2017, 02:00 AM
My fass 150 is over 10 years old now,it holds pressure great on wot runs. But I'll be going with the fuel boss once it poops out

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

bigstacks95
07-25-2017, 06:58 AM
I just replaced a fuel boss with a FASS at my shop that had failed, so there is nothing bulletproof, except it seems a stock pump.

When I had my 05 I used to do an airdog motor every year to year and a half on it... I seriously had the truck 6 years and went through 4 motors. Thank god for the lifetime warranty, there was never any questions asked, but the last time they asked if I wanted to go to the 4g pump. So far that pump has been going well for 2 years with the new owner. The truck never let me down or left me stranded, but it would start getting REALLY loud, and it happened within a week or so.

2Tone12V
07-25-2017, 08:32 AM
They all have their issues as do most anything electric. Fass and AirDog you will hear about the most because they are by far the two most popular.

Blueboy
07-25-2017, 12:05 PM
I just replaced a fuel boss with a FASS at my shop that had failed, so there is nothing bulletproof, except it seems a stock pump.

When I had my 05 I used to do an airdog motor every year to year and a half on it... I seriously had the truck 6 years and went through 4 motors. Thank god for the lifetime warranty, there was never any questions asked, but the last time they asked if I wanted to go to the 4g pump. So far that pump has been going well for 2 years with the new owner. The truck never let me down or left me stranded, but it would start getting REALLY loud, and it happened within a week or so.

What went wrong with the fuel boss ?
I am thinking of going with one.

bigstacks95
07-26-2017, 07:08 AM
What went wrong with the fuel boss ?
I am thinking of going with one.

I don't know it just stopped pumping haha. It wasn't the check valve or anything either.

smokin247
11-20-2017, 07:22 AM
3rd airdog died yesterday. This time i drove it 10 miles. Called Airdog and they have nothing to say but we have absolutely no problems with the 4g pumps I'm the only one. When you google airdog 4g and it's all problem threads. ****ty products and bad customer service?? Then they want my credit card number to even send me another motor. Warrantied for life my ass. He says it's a truck issue not their pump. So I said well what can I check it's 2 wires from the battery to the pump and it's a mechanical engine, no response he basicly ignored me and continued to ask for my credit card......*bdh*

9724VF350
11-20-2017, 07:40 AM
I have a VP that I want to feed, I'm leaning toward hydraulic drive due to all the electric pump horror stories. Hydraulic pump on the engine, two lines going back to a hydraulic motor at the fuel tank, fuel pump coupled to the hydraulic motor. It sound ridiculous, but it should work and be dead reliable.

zstroken
11-20-2017, 07:53 AM
Monitor voltage at the pump with the pump running.

Cozze44
11-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Everyone that I have fixed had a bad seal, but i've never taken apart a 4G. Pop the motor off and see what's going on. If the motor is filling with fuel I don't see how the truck could cause that...

smokin247
11-20-2017, 08:34 AM
This motor died electrically it burns fuses as soon as you plug the motor into the "harness". And I asked airdog how they test it and they said we put the pump on our set up and pump fuel. I would think they would be slightly more advanced. I'd like to take this one into the engineers at work before I send it in and actually find the problem. All their pumps die there's a flaw in their design.

Cozze44
11-20-2017, 08:54 AM
This motor died electrically it burns fuses as soon as you plug the motor into the "harness". And I asked airdog how they test it and they said we put the pump on our set up and pump fuel. I would think they would be slightly more advanced. I'd like to take this one into the engineers at work before I send it in and actually find the problem. All their pumps die there's a flaw in their design.

They will do that if the motor is full of diesel too. I've have had them fry fuses instantly, pull the motor apart, clean out the diesel, replace the seal and they are good to go. I would check it out just to see if they are blowin smoke.

smokin247
11-20-2017, 01:56 PM
I don't know if I want to risk pulling it apart and having them say it can't be warrantied because I tampered with it. They claim the problem is the wire harness. I resistance checked it and checked voltage and all was good but Wednesday I'm supposed to have a new harness and pump. Pump I'll have to pay for if they prove mine works magically.

zstroken
11-20-2017, 02:13 PM
I don't know if I want to risk pulling it apart and having them say it can't be warrantied because I tampered with it. They claim the problem is the wire harness. I resistance checked it and checked voltage and all was good but Wednesday I'm supposed to have a new harness and pump. Pump I'll have to pay for if they prove mine works magically.

Did you check voltage while the pump was running right at the harness?

smokin247
01-24-2018, 02:46 AM
The original harness tested out fine. But they said to try a new harness anyway. Well the new harness seems to have fixed the problem [it was much thicker wires and better built]. On my 4th airdog pump but it's not burning out now. I only have 60 miles on it now though because my s363 just blew the oil seals for the 2nd time. This time with 60 miles on it. I hate this truck.

zfaylor
01-24-2018, 06:40 AM
Turbos don't blow seals. They don't have seals to blow. You have a charge air leak, high blowby, bad airflow in the filtration side, or something else going on. Give us a call if you need it gone through or just need some advice on what might be going on!