PDA

View Full Version : Shop Truck

Bodacious
06-01-2017, 04:35 AM
We needed a truck to display some of the stuff I want to build and sell as well as showcase other folks products we want to push.

This is what we came up with so far:

https://s19.postimg.org/vtavcmpyb/shop_truck.jpg

Bodacious
06-01-2017, 06:24 AM
https://s19.postimg.org/gebu9icir/shop_truck_2.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/y5ngnyrxf/shop_truck_3.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/sir3qhper/shop_truck_4.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/6838qis4j/shop_truck_5.jpg

Bodacious
06-01-2017, 06:28 AM
https://s19.postimg.org/logt0swrn/rear_spring_shackles.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/cs60wv65f/rear_spring_hangers.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/gzw7rvi77/rear_spring_hangers_2.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/4pcfzaaxv/shop_truck_steering.jpg

Nootch
06-01-2017, 09:21 AM
You will want to beef up that front slider mount. You will need thicker parent metal to slide on, that bolt on the thin metal will just wear a hole i think.

You could do a thicker side piece and enlarge the old some and run a spacer between the bolt and slot, so there is a rolling member versus a sliding one.

Truck looks awesome though, keep up the awesome work.

WUnderwood
06-01-2017, 09:29 AM
Holy Jesus...

Highwayman
06-01-2017, 09:35 AM
How do the suspension requirements on a truck like this compare with one running on asphalt? Is it as critical?

Red Sleeper
06-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Well that's one way to do it.

CorneliusRox
06-01-2017, 11:14 AM
You will want to beef up that front slider mount. You will need thicker parent metal to slide on, that bolt on the thin metal will just wear a hole i think.
You could do a thicker side piece and enlarge the old some and run a spacer between the bolt and slot, so there is a rolling member versus a sliding one.

Most setups I've seen use Delrin on both sides with a lot of surface area. That spreads the load and makes it a low friction contact.

DDually
06-01-2017, 11:22 AM
You are hiring someone to weld for you, right?

jasonc
06-01-2017, 12:13 PM

Makes perfect sense now.

dieselbeef
06-01-2017, 01:05 PM
you are hiring someone to weld for you, right?

god i hope so...a bit of fab skills wouldnt hurt either

j.fondler
06-01-2017, 01:15 PM
god i hope so...a bit of fab skills wouldnt hurt either

This thing is MINT! (Roadkill context)

Ram12vcummins
06-01-2017, 01:32 PM

I wasn't gonna say it lol

QMFB
06-01-2017, 03:08 PM
Yup... Definitely need to invest in a Welder / Fabricator.

TheBac
06-01-2017, 06:02 PM
My God. :eek:

RD TRCTR
06-01-2017, 07:10 PM
I am sure all of the custom parts show cased are just for mock up. The real parts will look like they're robot welded.

smokin1997
06-01-2017, 08:36 PM
W. T. F.

For the love of God, hire some help

Bodacious
06-01-2017, 09:04 PM
We made an attempt to start on this thing exactly two weeks before its debut. We failed and keep in mind we were moving along quickly. ...and I have another hernia on my left side now. It has just opened up a little so I am going to nurse it the best I can to get through the summer anyway. The tubes and hose business I bought is doing well so I won't have to put out to much to keep the coin coming in.

Heck no on the sloppy fab. The neater I make them, the more I have to charge. Those are some of my best welds. LOL

The rear shackles are just there to keep the springs from moving side to side. Not shown yet is the high impact plastic that the spring eye will slide on. This is the prototype spring relocater kit I want to offer. This being the race version, the hangers/shackles only purpose is to support the weight and side to side movement. I may even build some out of 3/16" aluminum.

We are going to put dually 40's on the wife's first gen. When we get around to it, I will build a prototype "heavy duty" spring relocator kit. Here in WV, the entire width of the tire has to be covered with a fender. Not only is it the law, I would hate to have to dd something that was over 8' wide. lol

The Toyota front end looks a little goofy under the full size. The first gen frame is narrower than the Ram50 frame, believe it or not. We had to cut everything off the front and rear and move closer together. This took a lot of time I wasn't figuring on.

Bodacious
06-01-2017, 09:17 PM
How do the suspension requirements on a truck like this compare with one running on asphalt? Is it as critical?

This is the same suspension that was under Bodacious. Fiberglass springs cut and sanded to achieve the desired spring rate. I have no worries about the rear suspension on the drag strip. The front suspension is another deal. Something will have to be done to prevent spring wrap. I have a set of aluminum ladder bars I was thinking about trying.

I am also developing a mechanical clutch with sprag to adjust the amount of power delivered to the front end. The clutch is very similar to an inline PTO clutch. These items are being added to our gutted cases. Obviously, if we sling a 1500hp engine in this thing the front would die on the drag strip. The sprag will release the front end and allow it to free spool once the rear slicks grow large enough.

I don't think it will be so critical on the drag strip as the front will hopefully just be hanging there for a little bit. Something like flashlight drags will require the front to pull right off the bat.

Bodacious
06-01-2017, 09:35 PM
I also wanted to add that the cell, battery, chill water tank, ect.. will eventually find their way under the bed surface. We are going to haul stuff with this jewel. I'm betting I could haul a full load of TP without incident.

diesel_importer
06-02-2017, 08:04 AM
got any extra 12v injector lines hanging around LOL

Bodacious
06-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Well heck yea. Ain't that something??

Bodacious
06-04-2017, 09:00 PM
https://s19.postimg.org/ek93m025f/shop_truck_front_clip_2.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/k9pc6b8bn/shop_truck_front_clip.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/m2s8umtib/shop_truck_front_clip3.jpg

dieselbeef
06-05-2017, 06:31 AM
i hope whoever is welding on that truck isn't the same guy that hung that giant assed generator on the front of that trlr

12vchevydually
06-05-2017, 11:58 AM
You know I may not like his welds but I am not saying its not going to hold. You guys remember when he first came here and everyone said that his frame was going to split in half. Yeah he proved you wrong on that! Not everything has to be pretty to work. We would all learn more if we keep our traps shut and take it in. Their have been a lot of people that come in here from the gas world and I am surprised they weren't ran off from **** like this.

dieselbeef
06-05-2017, 12:01 PM
being a welder im just critical of anything that might fail and create an unsafe condition from that failure. my self I would tig anything im selling. but a good migweld is fine also. typically a weld that looks bad is bad. if the corners aren't wrapped that is the beginnibg of stress cracks...im not saying they will hold or not but they are very very subpar

QMFB
06-05-2017, 12:16 PM
I'm the same way dieselbeef. Every weld I see, I feel compelled to inspect, lol ! I can't help it, been welding so long on critical systems across this country... It's just habit now.

12vchevydually
06-05-2017, 12:20 PM
being a welder im just critical of anything that might fail and create an unsafe condition from that failure. my self I would tig anything im selling. but a good migweld is fine also. typically a weld that looks bad is bad. if the corners aren't wrapped that is the beginnibg of stress cracks...im not saying they will hold or not but they are very very subpar

I get that and I was not trying to point anyone out.

dieselbeef
06-05-2017, 12:44 PM
yeah man 10-4....jus sayin. its a bad habit.. sometimes I shouldnt

Bodacious
06-08-2017, 09:40 PM
Hey thanks 12vchevydually. It is nice to get some support from time to time.

...and thanks, but, please leave my haglers alone. lol

Seriously, it's guys like these that make me step up my game or at least remind me maybe I'm getting to old for the important stuff.

I have a CWI obtained from Tulsa welding school in 2000. I have tested more pipeline welders than I care to talk about (Only busted one and he admitted to being a 7018 hand). I rewrote the entire EQT welding procedure when we were gigged for not having a "hot tap" procedure. Just ask the president of 798 (2002) if he knows me. He was nice enough to pay a visit to my pipeline job after I flagged 38 welds for cut-out. I no longer have any respect for 798. I trained Equitable's welding inspectors. I was welding floor boards and shock towers in Chevettes with Acetylene and coat hangers when I was 12 years old. I know a thing or two about welding is all I'm saying. lol

Yea the welds look like crap and I should get some criticism for them. For what they are doing, I could wafer wheel the entire weld off and enough metal would remain to still do the job. A fillet exist where the two plates join.

Bodacious
06-08-2017, 09:47 PM
All I want to know is how come no one has given me flack over my "High Dollar Canadian" headlights.

I bought them from ofelas on here and I must say I should have done this years ago. I am not a light connoisseur, however, compared to the best factory replacements I've bought, these lights are 100x better.

I'm saving money now to do a volume purchase. I want these lights in all my first gens!!!

j.fondler
06-08-2017, 09:53 PM
All I want to know is how come no one has given me flack over my "High Dollar Canadian" headlights.

I bought them from ofelas on here and I must say I should have done this years ago. I am not a light connoisseur, however, compared to the best factory replacements I've bought, these lights are 100x better.

I'm saving money now to do a volume purchase. I want these lights in all my first gens!!!

Lmao. trust me, we've joked about the headlights privately.(ofelas is a friend)

You can buy them again much cheaper when not from a brown Canadian...

QMFB
06-08-2017, 10:07 PM
Hey thanks 12vchevydually. It is nice to get some support from time to time.

...and thanks, but, please leave my haglers alone. lol

Seriously, it's guys like these that make me step up my game or at least remind me maybe I'm getting to old for the important stuff.

I have a CWI obtained from Tulsa welding school in 2000. I have tested more pipeline welders than I care to talk about (Only busted one and he admitted to being a 7018 hand). I rewrote the entire EQT welding procedure when we were gigged for not having a "hot tap" procedure. Just ask the president of 798 (2002) if he knows me. He was nice enough to pay a visit to my pipeline job after I flagged 38 welds for cut-out. I no longer have any respect for 798. I trained Equitable's welding inspectors. I was welding floor boards and shock towers in Chevettes with Acetylene and coat hangers when I was 12 years old. I know a thing or two about welding is all I'm saying. lol

Yea the welds look like crap and I should get some criticism for them. For what they are doing, I could wafer wheel the entire weld off and enough metal would remain to still do the job. A fillet exist where the two plates join.

Hot taps without a qualified procedure ? Yeah, that'll get someone's a$$ run off for sure !!! Can honestly say in all the years I've been doing this, that's the first time I've heard of that happening... How many heads rolled for that one ?

Bodacious
06-08-2017, 11:39 PM
Hot taps without a qualified procedure ? Yeah, that'll get someone's a$$ run off for sure !!! Can honestly say in all the years I've been doing this, that's the first time I've heard of that happening... How many heads rolled for that one ?

None. lol My pipeline job was inspected by the DOT. We were doing a tie-in beside a township road and things were not going well. We had a syphon go down and she gave a little burp.

Long story short, we ended up with a full review of our welding procedures and I became an expert on part 192. All the company had installed up until this point was a saddle tap. We had some high pressure taps installed when the lines were dead.

With the Marcellus discovery, they are now performing at least one hot tap daily. Guess I was good for something. lol

Bodacious
06-08-2017, 11:43 PM
Lmao. trust me, we've joked about the headlights privately.(ofelas is a friend)

You can buy them again much cheaper when not from a brown Canadian...

The deal is and I will quote "If you buy at least two sets, they come with a FREE CASEof maple syrup".

I could really give two $hits about the headlights. You can buy all that crap on the Wal-Mart shelf you want. I truly had no idea what real Maple Syrup taste like. LOL

QMFB
06-09-2017, 07:41 AM
None. lol My pipeline job was inspected by the DOT. We were doing a tie-in beside a township road and things were not going well. We had a syphon go down and she gave a little burp.

Long story short, we ended up with a full review of our welding procedures and I became an expert on part 192. All the company had installed up until this point was a saddle tap. We had some high pressure taps installed when the lines were dead.

With the Marcellus discovery, they are now performing at least one hot tap daily. Guess I was good for something. lol

We're you in it long enough to catch the rise of the 7016 rod ? That's the "new best thing" down here in the Texas oilfields, and it's sloppy. First time I tested with it, (never even burned one before) I was tempted to just roll up my truck and burn off ! Weld boss came by and was just tickled pink, said it was the best root he had seen all month... And honestly, to me it looked like garbage, lol !

dieselbeef
06-09-2017, 12:35 PM
I rarely do any stick work. mostly mig at home and aseptic tig here at work for sanitary food processing. even the worst mig should look better.
idk bout all them certs and expert gigs you got..but none of that wok is acceptable to me. sorry man. products for sale should be top notch. grinding off a sloppy weld makes you a grinder..not a welder

dieselbeef
06-09-2017, 12:36 PM
even this little fella knows that

QMFB
06-09-2017, 01:03 PM
even this little fella knows that

Bahahahah ! Man, I haven't seen that meme in a few years.

J-Pipes
06-09-2017, 09:33 PM
So you're one of "those" inspectors! Hahaha.

Couldn't resist, not knocking you, just giving crap. While they're definitely not the prettiest welds, I've seen some pretty ugly "farm welds" hold some serious abuse.

I've bounced between production, and Q/C, I really have to be on my A game back in production now, I talked a LOT of crap the 3 yrs I was inspecting!

How recent did you work for EQT? We've made tanks for them in the last few yrs. Don't want to name the company, don't want to risk getting in trouble for posting about them online, they monitor it crazy!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170610/c7f821c979e971496fda8ab81b11c73f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Bodacious
06-10-2017, 02:36 AM
LOL to those pics ...and yes, believe it or not, I have never 'had' to take a qualification test.

On the 7016 question, I have not heard of them. We are still 6010 root and mostly 8010 on out depending on pipe grade. This new 42" passing about a 1/2 mile away from the house must be at least X-52. I am anxious to see if any wire machines are used.

Bodacious
06-16-2017, 04:36 PM
i hope whoever is welding on that truck isn't the same guy that hung that giant assed generator on the front of that trlr

Thought I best square this question away. I had a pro working for me at the time the generator was mounted. lol

The cheapest used "Cummins Onan" 8kW I could find was $5,500. Bought the beast you see from my cousin. It is kubota powered, 10kw, and pretty quiet. I definitely need to insulate better from the bedroom right there. LOL

We have resorted to headphones to watch movies if we don't have the plug in power available. LOL

Just so happens I scored a scrapped "Cummins Onan" unit a few months later. Plans are to mount this one on the trailer you see in the pics and move the larger gen to the semi-stacker trailer we bought for the pulling truck.

No work on the 'Shop Truck' as of late. Lots of groin pain. So far the best the Doc's can say is 'Testicular Pain Syndrome' from the aftermath of the massive hernia operation. Yea haw, right??? If you want to feel a little pity for me, run out and grab a close pin off the wife's clothes line. Clamp it on a testicle. Their ya go.

Ibuprofen is my friend.

Highwayman
06-16-2017, 04:47 PM
I don't envy you one bit. I had one twisted up for a bit and it hurt to breathe.

Ram12vcummins
06-25-2017, 12:21 PM
Thought I best square this question away. I had a pro working for me at the time the generator was mounted. lol

The cheapest used "Cummins Onan" 8kW I could find was $5,500. Bought the beast you see from my cousin. It is kubota powered, 10kw, and pretty quiet. I definitely need to insulate better from the bedroom right there. LOL

We have resorted to headphones to watch movies if we don't have the plug in power available. LOL

Just so happens I scored a scrapped "Cummins Onan" unit a few months later. Plans are to mount this one on the trailer you see in the pics and move the larger gen to the semi-stacker trailer we bought for the pulling truck.

No work on the 'Shop Truck' as of late. Lots of groin pain. So far the best the Doc's can say is 'Testicular Pain Syndrome' from the aftermath of the massive hernia operation. Yea haw, right??? If you want to feel a little pity for me, run out and grab a close pin off the wife's clothes line. Clamp it on a testicle. Their ya go.

Ibuprofen is my friend.

Had hernia when I was 24 lower jnagurel like you. Had the operation sucked ass. Couldn't stay away from work long enough. It was back after a year. Been dealing with it for 10 years. It takes a pile of energy out of you by the end of day. Doing what I do commercial construction/trucking and mechanic. I'll have to get operation again but I been putting it off.

Bodacious
06-25-2017, 08:49 PM
Had hernia when I was 24 lower jnagurel like you. Had the operation sucked ass. Couldn't stay away from work long enough. It was back after a year. Been dealing with it for 10 years. It takes a pile of energy out of you by the end of day. Doing what I do commercial construction/trucking and mechanic. I'll have to get operation again but I been putting it off.

I will almost guarantee I ripped the left side open. All visits to the doc say no. I grabbed up the chainsaw the other day and didn't cut a half a load of logs. Rested up for the next day and spent the next two days on the couch. I have to get over this crap or I'm gonna go nuts!!!! edit: (no pun intended) lol

Ram12vcummins
06-25-2017, 11:03 PM
I dredded coughing or sneezing. Worst pain I ever felt. Can't wait to relive it.

j.fondler
06-26-2017, 05:53 AM
Chances of successful repair the second time go down drastically. Listen to your doc, if he says rest for 8 weeks, rest for 10. It will pay off in the long run when you don't have to go under the knife again.

Also, if it becomes painful at rest or if it's not reducible(meaning it's not soft and can't be pressed down without pain) contact your doc. I could go into the why if you'd like, but trust me, keep an eye on it. Cheers

Bodacious
06-27-2017, 02:41 PM
I think I'm good on the right side where the big repair was. The doc brought out a sample piece of the mesh and let me have at it. Mine is 4" x 2" and runs from the left nugget up to just below my belt line.

Weird thing is this is the last thing I thought would ever get me down. I live a physically active life. This debacle has certainly done its part to slow that part of me down.

I'm gonna rest up a couple more days and then I have to make a run to Indiana for industrial shelving I bought. Sure gonna be wishing I had at lest 4-bag air ride on the K-100 instead of the old 4-spring.

Bodacious
08-05-2017, 10:05 PM
We are officially in the qualifier at UCC2018. We will do our best to bring some entertainment your way whether it be with diesel performance or not. LOL.

I feel fortunate to have this opportunity.

The "Shop Truck" will be weapon for this competition.

Just as Bodacious was built with CompD help, so will the "Shop Truck".

The Plan:

1 - Stay healthy!!!!!
2 - First Gen all the way (I had a 48 Power Wagon bought, not sure what happened to those folks????? Met em at UCC, made the deal, sent $1,000 to secure, have not heard from them in over two months)
3 - Dana 60 and 80 for all portions of the competition. (Maybe?? lol) Does anyone see the need to put the weight on the chassis or just let the rears add the weight? We will be 3600lb for the MRA races with big 'ol heavy mud tires. If I leave the truck light for the drags, where in the heck am I gonna put 1400+ lbs safely if not in the diffs??
4 - Other than a couple brush pulls with my old '90 model, I have no pulling experience. We did, however, buy one sweet first gen pulling truck. We have 'Smokin Addiction' to model our pulling set-up after and I'm pretty sure I wore the pullers out on here asking questions. lol
5 - Don't know for sure if it will happen or not but mine will be street legal and I'd like to drive it through the gates just to prove that point before the competition begins. Hey, no biggy if I have to haul it in due to rules.
6 - Probably should have been second on the list. Must have fun and enjoy life while building truck. lol (I know it is a sad day when you have to remind yourself of this)

Bodacious
08-07-2017, 05:43 AM
Studying on things down in the shop late last night. I need to weigh 3600lbs to compete in the MRA Super Stock Class. This will have to be a single turbocharger set-up due to rules.

You will see us perform something here you wont find us doing to often. The UCC is requiring the truck weigh 5000lbs. So, 1400lbs must be added safely and effectively for the drag racing portion of UCC.

No doubt about it, if I don't show up with a triple set-up, I may as well stay home or become the "God of Nitrous Diesels" lol

So, we are going to run a big 'ol nasty Garrett (Thanks PDD) single in the MRA. PDD had two of these babies on their UCC2017 entry. Hey Todd or Will, if you are watching, what do I need for a manifold charger?? What I'm getting at is these turbos are heavy=adding weight and power instead of just weight. Plus all the plumbing, A/W intercoolers, and supporting hardware will also add weight.

Back to my adding a 60 and an 80 for the drag race portion. I might be able to do the 80 in the rear, but, I just can't bring myself to install that big 'ol heavy 60 in the front until I need it.

Just thinking out loud so if I make a mistake here, hopefully someone will chime in.

Bodacious
08-30-2017, 04:37 AM
I think maybe our internet service has a lot to do with it, but, I sat down yesterday evening to do this post and photobucket locked up my computer. I went back to my old standby that I am 'NOT' paying for, postimage.org and the computer runs fine. I actually paid photobucket for the add free service. No adds but it is still slow like it is displaying adds. Regardless, I feel I my money did nothing for me.

Anyhow, let me give it another 15 or 20 minute try before work. lol

Allow me introduce you to our entry into the UCC2018. the "Transformer Shop Truck"

https://s19.postimg.org/j0d0wq5pf/transformer_shop_truck.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/n0k68yw6b/tst4.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/istzdyk4j/tst5.jpg

This is the preliminary stance for the MRA Super Stock class. Racing in the dirt/sand/mud is very similar to drag racing. Although I doubt this thing sees much mud with the $$$ parts in there. lol

In order to make sure I have the fastest flying brick, we are going to probably get 'er on down to the ground for her drag transformation. This will require an independent front end. I definitely want to keep a pulling front end in it for some no prep/flashlight drag stuff where traction is limited. I currently have an all aluminum front end from a ford v8 Moutaineer Explorer. I rode in a 500+ HP Toyota the other day that also has an all aluminum independent front diff. Remember, we will be treating the front like an all wheel drive by installing a slipping clutch on the output of the front drive.

Bodacious
09-02-2017, 08:20 PM
I've been studying up on independent front diffs.

This Dana 35 wont take much power. It would be fine in the sand. The CV's look up to the task and I'd like to get that 5 on 4.5 bolt circle. I love pro stars. lol

Pretty sure a Duramax front could take all I can throw at it????? It is all aluminum construction and a stout looking piece.

The Toyota front was all aluminum and pretty stout as well. Not quite as strong looking as the Duramax front. Would make a real good diff for say 3K lb or less.

I was thinking of a hybrid duramax center with the explorer outers.

Any comments or suggestions.

Bodacious
09-05-2017, 06:04 AM
Thought I would bump this up now that everyone is back to work. lol

Where is the CompD Pro's when I need your opinions???

Bodacious
09-05-2017, 06:17 AM
I bought this turbocharger off PDD. Will and Todd helped me with the cost. This is a Garrett/Honeywell GTX5533 Super Core, 98mm Inducer, and the Stainless V-band exhaust housing.

This turbo is 2.2lbs lighter because of the exhaust housing.

https://s19.postimg.org/86221kk83/Garrett_55.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/ev403ug6b/Garrett_55_3.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/9z4ypw5er/Garrett_55_4.jpg

OK air experts. We need to push enough air volume to support 3000HP. PDD had two of these as atmospheric turbos on their UCC2017 truck. That Todd is slick when it comes to choosing turbos. I would like to add another one of these as well but I'm not sure it is necessary. Literature said it would support up to 2500HP on it's own.

I have about 3 Billet wheel S-480's now. Two are runnable and the third just needs a new compressor wheel. Would one of these work for the manifold charger?

Plans are to run this Garrett as a single on the street and MRA Transformation.

Please, give me your thoughts.

jasonc
09-05-2017, 07:25 AM
I've seen a few super street trucks run a gt55 over 485/96/1.32. I think the guys name is Phillipf on here, seemed like a good guy and gave me some info I was looking for by pm on here.

zfaylor
09-05-2017, 08:53 AM
I have to ask: Why do so many of the competitors feel the need to make 2000hp+?

Figure out how to get 1500hp to the ground and figure out how to keep the front end down all while not turning your frame into a pretzel pulling and you will turn some heads.

Financial Mistake
09-05-2017, 09:01 AM

Figure out how to get 1500hp to the ground and figure out how to keep the front end down all while not turning your frame into a pretzel pulling and you will turn some heads.

Agreed. I'd rather watch a truck do good in all three events, vs watching a truck dominate one thing and be a pos at everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j.fondler
09-05-2017, 09:40 AM

Agreed. I'd rather watch a truck do good in all three events, vs watching a truck dominate one thing and be a pos at everything else.

this right here ^^^^

the trucks that finished like 2-7 last year were consistent in all 3 events but didn't win any of them.

1500 hp, 9.80 1/4, 280 ft pull. if you can do that, you'll "qualify" for next year and probably finish top 10 in the actual UCC.

and sure, everyone is out to win the damn thing, but no offense to you, Bodacious, but if a small shop like yours just finishes top 10, thats a win IMO.

EnduringAtlas
09-05-2017, 01:32 PM
How many lbs/min does that turbo flow?

kleann
09-05-2017, 05:34 PM

Because most of the guys have unrealistic dreams. 1600-2000hp can easily put you in the top 3 if there is enough seat time with racing and it's proven to last more than a couple passes. 3000 hp with redonkulous turbos will get you a dyno queen at best if it plants to the rollers.

J-Pipes
09-05-2017, 05:43 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkII seems to like this approach though!

Financial Mistake
09-05-2017, 06:10 PM
II seems to like this approach though!

And that particular truck continues to be at the forefront of ridicule in these conversations lol

J-Pipes
09-05-2017, 06:28 PM
Hahaha, just couldn't resist.

97rada
09-05-2017, 06:59 PM
I bought this turbocharger off PDD. Will and Todd helped me with the cost. This is a Garrett/Honeywell GTX5533 Super Core, 98mm Inducer, and the Stainless V-band exhaust housing.

This turbo is 2.2lbs lighter because of the exhaust housing.

https://s19.postimg.org/86221kk83/Garrett_55.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/ev403ug6b/Garrett_55_3.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/9z4ypw5er/Garrett_55_4.jpg

OK air experts. We need to push enough air volume to support 3000HP. PDD had two of these as atmospheric turbos on their UCC2017 truck. That Todd is slick when it comes to choosing turbos. I would like to add another one of these as well but I'm not sure it is necessary. Literature said it would support up to 2500HP on it's own.

I have about 3 Billet wheel S-480's now. Two are runnable and the third just needs a new compressor wheel. Would one of these work for the manifold charger?

Plans are to run this Garrett as a single on the street and MRA Transformation.

Please, give me your thoughts.

Why not hit the dyno and find out what it takes? You seem to be overthinking a lot of this

Bodacious
09-06-2017, 05:00 AM
I'm listening. So the consensus is to make 1500HP and act responsibly?? How much fun is that?? lol

1500HP ain't gonna get it done this year. Yea Haw for all the guys that done well with that kinda power last year. Gonna need more this year. Bottom line.

Suppose I have to let the turbos go due to money, I have 480's and this garrett, what kinda power can I make??

Besides, this may be my only chance to do this. I want to make it count.

Bodacious
09-06-2017, 05:04 AM
Why not hit the dyno and find out what it takes? You seem to be overthinking a lot of this

Probably right there. I am bad about that overthinking thing. I have had too much keyboard time and not enough shop time.

2Tone12V
09-06-2017, 09:10 AM
2 96mm's on atmosphere and an 80mm on the manifold is what you are looking to do?

Big Blue24
09-06-2017, 12:05 PM
How many lbs/min does that turbo flow?

Those 98mm GTX's flow 230 lbs/min. Last year Armor Inc who finished top 5 by the way, ran one of those compounded with another slightly smaller Garrett ball bearing turbo.

Arch, I think you'd do fine using the GTX5533 in a compound setup pared with one of your S480's. The biggest issue is keeping the thrust bearing alive in the S480 and that's why many run a ball bearing high pressure charger when pushing the limits powerwise. That GTX5533 in a compound setup mixed with a few hundred HP worth of spray will 1600+ on the UCC dyno and could be sprayed to 2000HP if you get the gating and nitrous delivery tuned correctly to keep everything alive.

If you're considering triples, your S480's flow anywhere from 120 to 130 lbs per minute max so two of them feeding your GTX5533 on the manifold would be a mis-match. You want at least 1.5x the mass air flow from the low pressure charger(s) feeding the high pressure charger, otherwise the pumping losses and general inefficiency of the system negate the airflow gain and you'd be better off running as a single charger.

But seriously, watch all the performances from Armor Inc. last year using a large compound turbo setup with a GTX5533 and it might change your perspective on how big you need to go, especially if you come in at the 4500 lb weight limit vs 5500+ that Armor's truck weighs.

Pudge
09-06-2017, 08:50 PM
I hadn't looked at this for a while, but on the subject of independent front diff, proformance pros (spelling is correct there) sells a 11.5 independent diff for the front that they have run in super stock chassis'. It's a little pricey but really strong. Also, since "there's no rules!" I would build a 1500hp fuel only engine/turbo setup, that should be durable and go some rounds, then make up the extra ground on the strip with a few stages of gated nitrous. Milliken goes real fast on a single 88 gt55 and tuned nitrous. 2400hp is all the dyno will hold, and a 1300hp truck that hooks will win the sled pull.

Shazam

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Bodacious
09-07-2017, 02:29 AM
Thanks for all the replies from everyone. Keep them coming, I am learning.

Seemed to have resolved my transmission issues yesterday. This will give me the time to focus on other things. lol

Anyone in the hunt for B&J Transmission stuff. I have a whole truck load of parts and transmissions for sale. Probably set you up with a pretty cheap clutch as well.

Bodacious
09-07-2017, 07:06 AM
Monster power takes monster airflow and, in this case, the Scheid dragster definitely doesn’t disappoint. The high-pressure (manifold) turbocharger is an 88mm Precision unit, while the larger charger is a Holset HX82 that houses a 114mm billet wheel from Precision Turbo. The two chargers combine to produce a whopping 140psi–kept in check by a 66mm Precision Turbo wastegate–all the way up to the engine’s 6,000rpm redline.

Taken from this: Worlds Quickest Diesel: The 6.31-second, 226mph, 2,500-Horsepower Scheid Dragster (https://www.dieselworldmag.com/2064-2/)

Written by our own JQMiley.

Heck yea I'd rather go compounds. Less weight, plumbing, headaches, etc... Looks like Dan knows how to get it done.

Bodacious
09-07-2017, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the info on the front end Pudge. I don't want that in there drag racing. That thing is huge. lol ...now pulling for sure.

Would any of you all know if the duramax front diff was special or the same diff all the 3/4 -1 ton trucks received?

Bodacious
10-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Wanted to jump on hear and give an update. I've been working more and more. Changed out some Dayton 24.5's about four days ago. Definitely found my limits again and am resting. No major damage just some pain. Lol

Anyhow, Will Terry called a day or two ago and has sold my first "SRS Signature Series" 4" Shocker pass valve. Thanks Will. Also, probably just our internet provider, but, every time I try to get on the PDD web site, it locks up the 'ol desk top.

Will also guessed my ultimate callout challenge 'Secret Build'. Yep, only the wife and I had discussed this. ...kinda spooky. lol

We don't have the money to go through with it this year so the "Transformer Shop Truck" will still be our entry.

Anyhow, this is what I had planned. A 'Larry Larson' type Ram50 powered by the billet water block and Hamilton head. Dana 35 aluminum independent front, custom billet outers with struts, still want to sand/mud drag. My wife has agreed to do drag week with me one of these days.

Everyone will argue you wouldn't be able to pull with it "Tube-Frame" and all. Heck, Wagler has been doing it since the get go.

Anyhow, maybe someday and I have never been the real secretive type.

Bodacious
10-07-2017, 09:20 PM
Hear are my plans for the "Transformer Shop Truck":

Will be lucky to go mid 8's with this brick. I have been studying coefficient of drag and the force it applies to an object. The fellas running the full size trucks now at these speeds are overcoming a tremendous force.

We need to be as low to the ground as possible. I have found and secured a 3/4 ton chevy aluminum diff. I have all the brakes and what not off the Toyota axle out from under Bodacious. So to save a little money, we will be using Toyota independent outers. This will give us the bonus to unlock the hubs just like a solid axle. A factory type front suspension will have to be mimicked to satisfy the MRA.

The 9" will also be used from Bodacious. It was a new Moser housing after the crash. Need to find the stubborn leak?? It is already set up and I believe it is strong enough. 40 spline gun drilled axles long enough to provide extra deflection, all aluminum through bolt moser center section. I will be bracing the housing as I install my first set of four link bars.

Bodacious
10-07-2017, 09:28 PM
Just thinking out loud so I can get it down on something. LOL

Going to notch the rear frame rails for clearance. This will go against the MRA rule book. Gonna have to hope for forgiveness here. lol

Transmission will be a "Liberty Gears" something Craig Liberty is working on for me. He is saying something about paddle shifters and all. Not kidding here one bit. lol Five speed with an overdrive sixth. Remember we are nothing more than efficiency experts. This transmission in overdrive should be the $hit.

Going to do a one-off ultimate light weight "stock type" transfer case. If it will hold in the UCC, I can sell them.

Still thinking on a clutch. With the trans I have coming, I can shift while pulling. ...meaning I can start out in a much lower gear. Also need the clutch to survive the 1/4 mile blasts.

Bodacious
10-07-2017, 09:33 PM
The pulling portion is easy. ...at least in my head.

We have the "Smok'n Addiction" Pulling Truck. Which, by the way is a first gen. This matches up frame widths and swapping rears and such. The truck came with a world of knowledge that we can simply slide right on to the "Transformer Shop Truck".

My simple plan so far. Please feel free to critic as you will. I am listening loud and clear on the engine part. I want my other thread to run a while before posting my engine plans.

QMFB
10-07-2017, 11:53 PM
Since nobody else has responded in the last 7 posts, with little information... I'm gonna suggest massive infusions of cold hard cash money. That ought to get you where you want to be.

Bodacious
10-08-2017, 01:03 AM
Since nobody else has responded in the last 7 posts, with little information... I'm gonna suggest massive infusions of cold hard cash money. That ought to get you where you want to be.

Lol, already did that portion.

https://s19.postimg.org/jv6bv5thv/lowered.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/e70149203/lowered_2.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/9xvb236gj/lowered_3.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/uurj6rc77/lowered_4.jpg

She still needs to go lower.

QMFB
10-08-2017, 01:13 AM
Gotta admit, it does have a certain appeal ��

Bodacious
10-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Gotta admit, it does have a certain appeal ��

LOL, I think it's the welds. LOL

J-Pipes
10-08-2017, 02:04 PM
Wouldn't worry about a tube chassis holding up, all the top end pulling trucks are full yube chassis. Thinking Barker Machine or something like that is a very common chassis supplier for the pulling trucks. Just get the weight setup like this for the pull, that's what that class does when going into reverse!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171008/f70636f000b177de77c583f5af85c961.jpg

Bodacious
10-08-2017, 03:45 PM
^^That is a sweet looking truck.^^ ...and seriously, why not??

okie18
10-08-2017, 10:20 PM
I don't see the Toyota hubs holding up when they actually have some traction with the power you're trying to put down. They're tough but not that tough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

J-Pipes
10-09-2017, 05:40 AM
I don't think he's intending on putting full power to the front end, thought he was running some sort of "open" transfer case. Sort of AWD kinda in theory.

Bodacious
10-09-2017, 07:09 AM
I don't think he's intending on putting full power to the front end, thought he was running some sort of "open" transfer case. Sort of AWD kinda in theory.

Yep, it is a clutch that drives the front diff. Surprisingly, those hubs will hold more than a man would think. They have been on the front of Bodacious it's whole life.

The pulling package gets the solid 60 front.

sootie
10-09-2017, 07:39 AM
I hope you actually try pulling in advance of UCC. I think your mind will be blown when parts are subjected to torque and traction. Totally different ball game than mud drags .

J-Pipes
10-09-2017, 08:01 AM
He's not running the IFS setup to pull though, already said it'll swap in a solid D60 for that.

Bodacious
10-09-2017, 12:09 PM
He's not running the IFS setup to pull though, already said it'll swap in a solid D60 for that.

Hey J-Pipes, at least we got folks reading. ...listening, yeah that peaceful image big papa posted/ Snedge reposted over on the other thread is looking better by the minute.

J-Pipes
10-09-2017, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I don't know that the ifs setup will hold up or not, but how you've been describing the intent so far, I think it's got a chance. But I do really like the idea of going as light as possible! A chassis that's light and stiff, with a sort of modular suspension packages. That is a pretty picture too!

okie18
10-09-2017, 07:10 PM
I missed the d60 part for pulling. Wouldn't worry about the yota parts for the drags with the clutched to case then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Bodacious
10-11-2017, 08:50 PM
this right here ^^^^

the trucks that finished like 2-7 last year were consistent in all 3 events but didn't win any of them.

1500 hp, 9.80 1/4, 280 ft pull. if you can do that, you'll "qualify" for next year and probably finish top 10 in the actual UCC.

and sure, everyone is out to win the damn thing, but no offense to you, Bodacious, but if a small shop like yours just finishes top 10, thats a win IMO.

Just wanted you all to know I have been listening. I just about have my engine build done in my head.

If it were not for possibly needing the sturdiness of the top end of the sleeved 6.7 I would just use a 12 valve block I have here.

I would also like to stretch the bore out as far as I can. Anyone care to share the max bore size of a sleeved 6.7?

Stock 5.9 crank. I could probably use the rods out of the PDD assembly and have some custom pistons cut.

Using the sponsored Water Warhead. With what needs done, I trust a fella right down the road from me. I will probably do as mentioned and just polish the ports up a bit.

Need to move more weight back and down in the chassis. I think I will fab up a stainless header and mount the big garret as a sinlge.

This should move us pretty close to 12-1400HP. We have the Mt. Diesel pump that should fuel pretty decent.

I want to street drive this thing all over the place.

9724VF350
10-11-2017, 09:00 PM
If it were not for possibly needing the sturdiness of the top end of the sleeved 6.7 I would just use a 12 valve block I have here.

I would also like to stretch the bore out as far as I can. Anyone care to share the max bore size of a sleeved 6.7?.

Ain't no way I would take a sleeved/deck plated oem block over the solid block you have for sale.

Even solid, with a cooled head you can drive it far more than you would imagine.

Bodacious
10-11-2017, 09:44 PM
It won't be deck plated. Just sleeved. I've heard the 12 valve block may hold to 1200 HP. I know I can at least spray this thing enough to make that power.

Industrial was making some major numbers with a sleeved 6.7.

9724VF350
10-12-2017, 05:51 AM
What strength advantage does a sleeved, non-deck plated oem block have over a solid block?

Bodacious
10-14-2017, 12:25 AM
Absolutely none whatsoever.

Bodacious
10-14-2017, 12:39 AM
Not making excuses here, but you can probably tell by my post count I have been resting.

I did manage to get the IFS out of the wife's truck, stripped, and under the "Transformer Shop Truck".

I've been the reverse direction, Solid into IFS, but, had no reason to ever do the opposite.

It is waaaayyy easier to IFS where the solid axle was. If I wanted hack job this thing I could get in mounted in less than an hour. lol

The fella I bought this from, Dave Allen from Ireland,WV, was nice enough to let me bring the entire cutoff home to study the mounting points and geometry.

Starting to get 'er down there where I am happy. Just a little bit further and the factory '92 trans cross member will be on the ground.

https://s19.postimg.org/9v3nx6mzn/TSTD.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/bmwms2bhf/TSTD2.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/j1lyl0ptf/TSTD3.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/b8vat1c4j/TSTD4.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/q4tu0l5ir/TSTD5.jpg

https://s19.postimg.org/yod7xudpv/TSTD6.jpg

zstroken
10-14-2017, 07:08 AM
Absolutely none whatsoever.

Actually it does have an advantage, as the sleeves are better quality metal than the block itself.

J-Pipes
10-14-2017, 07:53 AM
But if wanting to go short stroke big bore, wouldn't the solid block be better? I mean couldn't you go bigger with the cylinders without water passages to worry about? I'd think you'd still sleeve it at that point anyway though.

Bodacious
10-14-2017, 08:42 AM
Definitely want to street drive without any overheating. I am pretty sure you can take this Hamilton block to 4.35" bore no problem.

Would still like to hear from someone what the max bore they would go on a sleeved 6.7 would be.

mfsuper90
10-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Dt466 uses a 4.3 bore

Bodacious
10-15-2017, 04:12 AM
Does a better option exist, block wise, for my requirements? MRA says I have to use an IRON block. Wasn't Zach casting some 6.7 stuff?? I need to sell a few more items to get the sleeved 6.7 thing going.

I don't think I've lived up to my end of the bargain yet with Philip Price so I will need to purchase a 6.7 set-up. I was thinking Blacks Diesel???

Bodacious
10-15-2017, 04:15 AM
I also wanted to ask for those who are following and curious, why am I paying so much attention to how low the Transformer Shop Truck sets??

jasonc
10-15-2017, 06:35 AM
Cause fat girls can't jump?

J-Pipes
10-15-2017, 07:00 AM
Lower is faster. But that^was funny!

Bodacious
10-15-2017, 06:24 PM
Cause fat girls can't jump?

You know if any of ya intend on meeting me, lol ...your gonna have to meet the lady that lives with this madness. She is twice as mean as me and waaaayyyyy prettier!!

That is funny though!!

The ultra lowering is what I am going to call the 'Bullet Effect'. The acceleration game along with wind forces are no stranger to the world of bullet design. Additionally, I would guess that a bullet is the quickest accelerating mass on earth?? I have not googled it yet.

QMFB
10-15-2017, 07:06 PM
Pretty sure the record is still held by the US Navy's "Rail Gun"... IIRC, it launches a projectile at around 10 miles a second... Or maybe it's Mach 7.

QMFB
10-15-2017, 07:07 PM
There's some awesome footage of that gun out there BTW ��

J-Pipes
10-15-2017, 07:45 PM
Yeah, the less air resistance, the faster it can go, so if you can go lower, less air under it to slow you down.

Bodacious
10-16-2017, 05:41 AM
Precisely. I studied aerodynamics some in school but never had a reason to really take a hard look at it.

Knowing if everything works half way decent, we should be in the 150-170 MPH range. I know everyone is going that fast or faster. Have you ever tried to stick your hand out the window at say 100MPH. Even at 100mph, the wind resistance is enough to carry extra boost with my old '90 model. Extra boost equates to more power. The slicker I can get the 'Transformer Shop Truck' to cut through the air, the less power I will need to go that fast.

During my research, and watching and reading up on Larry Larson, the more air you can direct up and over the vehicle, the more air you sort of have control over. Also, I didn't see any rules that limits anyone's arrangement of the skin.

An old friend (Joe Hartley) said it years ago, even before we had cell phones, He was late for showing up at the house and I gave him a call. He said I am on my way and "I will have her ears pinned back". lol He used to drive a 78-79 3/4 ton ford around when we were 'Holler Hopp'n' back in the day. He ended up on top of a small car at our local hang out before he started tapering off. lol

Bodacious
10-16-2017, 05:41 AM
How about the other end of the bullet. Any correlation to acceleration here that I need to look at??

J-Pipes
10-16-2017, 06:07 AM
How about the other end of the bullet. Any correlation to acceleration here that I need to look at??Such as "boat-tail" vs flat base bullets? Sure, at the level you're aiming for there is probably something to be gained with airflow at the back. Not as much as the front, but something. If nothing else, some sort of small spoiler for downforce, perhaps even do a removable front spoiler/splitter for use on asphalt tracks?

9724VF350
10-16-2017, 08:08 AM
Actually it does have an advantage, as the sleeves are better quality metal than the block itself.

I'm not on board with that. The sleeves are only so thick, where the solid block has 6 holes poked in a 7.5"x29.5" chunk of iron that is supposed to be better than factory spec.

Another thing I think is that this block can be less likely to lift if the main studs were long enough to go up in to the area where water used to be.

Bodacious
10-16-2017, 08:41 AM
I'm not on board with that. The sleeves are only so thick, where the solid block has 6 holes poked in a 7.5"x29.5" chunk of iron that is supposed to be better than factory spec.

Another thing I think is that this block can be less likely to lift if the main studs were long enough to go up in to the area where water used to be.

So what about this LSM water block I have. You can look in there and see the sleeve in a couple places. To me, this means the sleeve is taking all of the force??

Bodacious
10-16-2017, 08:45 AM
...and I have never had one of the sleeves out. If you watch how the modern, open deck blocks are sleeved, the dang sleeve is really thick in the top portion. Maybe even as much as an inch deep with a wall over a half inch thick. Basically eliminating some of the forces the block was originally designed to take.

Edit: This was the first thing I thought of when I took delivery of this factory aluminum cummins stuff.

zstroken
10-16-2017, 10:38 AM

Still not as good as a Ductile Iron Sleeve for some aspects, however it could be argued that taking out the material will take away from block strength as far as splitting the block horizontally.

Bodacious
10-16-2017, 10:58 AM
Have you all paid attention to how the first engine company to offer an all aluminum diesel engine to the public here in the U.S. got all that figured out??

zfaylor
10-16-2017, 11:06 AM
Basing the viability of sleeves on an aluminum block is comparing apples to oranges. They obviously aren't going to run aluminum bores.

Bodacious
10-16-2017, 11:17 AM
Basing the viability of sleeves on an aluminum block is comparing apples to oranges. They obviously aren't going to run aluminum bores.

Well heck no!! Who has tried that???

9724VF350
10-16-2017, 01:06 PM

Briggs and Stratton. LOL

zstroken
10-16-2017, 01:42 PM

All sorts of folks, about any snowmobile or dirtbike engine does. They just nikasil coat the cylinders. :)

Bodacious
10-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Such as "boat-tail" vs flat base bullets? Sure, at the level you're aiming for there is probably something to be gained with airflow at the back. Not as much as the front, but something. If nothing else, some sort of small spoiler for downforce, perhaps even do a removable front spoiler/splitter for use on asphalt tracks?

I really appreciate your intelligence. From what I've gained, yes use the wind to create down force depending on your mass and lift. Most importantly, get it away from the car underbody. Swirl or turbulence will get underneath the very back and cause lift. Notice how all the wings are set up on the pro mods and AA/FC.

Let's look at the bullet from the perspective of the force to move the mass. Look at how the force is applied to the mass v/s say a AA/TF Dragster. Notice the similarities or not??

Bodacious
10-16-2017, 03:55 PM
To talk just a bit more on wind resistance and to show my intelligence, my son and I had the opportunity to be around and work on a "Legends" salt flat car. Scott Law (chipmaker)'s father Joe, I believe, is building his next car.

One of the first things I noticed was the shear mass they were adding to this thing. This is a race car right? Well the class Scott is shooting for does not allow any wings or extra wind devices. You have to run as it was offered I guess. To combat the forces of the wind at the extreme speeds these things are going, they are adding LOTS of mass. The firewall is something like an inch thick. Stability is the main reason for wind control which boils down to safety.

Yes, that extra mass has to be accelerated to that speed, however, the salt flats are not an acceleration only test.

J-Pipes
10-16-2017, 04:07 PM
I really appreciate your intelligence. From what I've gained, yes use the wind to create down force depending on your mass and lift. Most importantly, get it away from the car underbody. Swirl or turbulence will get underneath the very back and cause lift. Notice how all the wings are set up on the pro mods and AA/FC.

Let's look at the bullet from the perspective of the force to move the mass. Look at how the force is applied to the mass v/s say a AA/TF Dragster. Notice the similarities or not??Hahaha! Intelligence, that's a first! I just read too much, mostly theory with me, hardly ever get to try any of it!

But yeah, the underside is the "roughest" part of the vehicle, so may as well limit the air it has to deal with.

I'll take a shot at the dragster analogy, the force, tires, are linear with the rest of the vehicle, as opposed to a typical truck being on top of them.

Bodacious
10-16-2017, 04:18 PM
the force, tires, are linear with the rest of the vehicle, as opposed to a typical truck being on top of them.

You, my fine sir, get an A for today. LOL

Spot on!! If you want a quick demonstration of what I am talking about, take a 2' carpenters square and lay it on the table. Set a movable mass at the 2' end and work your finger up the 1' end until you move the mass.

Simple enough. I don't know the specifics, however, crank centerline has way more to do with chassis science than I ever thought.

Bodacious
10-16-2017, 04:19 PM
...may as well let Mr. Efficiency have a little credit here as well. At what degree is a u-joint the most efficient?? Answer plays in to last question.

BRE
10-16-2017, 04:31 PM
You confuse the phuck outta me...
one minute you’re asking for answers, the next you’re telling everyone how it should be done, and then basing your knowledge off the fact this one time you shook this one guys hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jasonc
10-16-2017, 05:00 PM
Aerodynamics are the last priority you need to worry about, that's probably at best a tenth in the 1/4, and if any extra weight has to be added over the min its not worth it. I do like your ifs idea, I bet it'd work fine and best with a regular trans case, the heavier Chevys run quick with them. Keep at It! Looking forward to your updates.

Bodacious
10-17-2017, 01:52 AM
You confuse the phuck outta me...

Glad I'm doing a little something for somebody.

Bodacious
10-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Well I've been down in the shop trying to waller and wrestle the Chevy IFS differential around until I was happy.

What do you all think about actually trying to pull with this diff?? It looks stout, is a high pinion, and I hate to do it but I can always let the drive shaft clutch slip just a little.

One member posted about spinning the crap out of a set of cut tires. If I do this, at the end of the pull right before they flag me, dead locked, will the IFS diff hold?? I guess I only get one shot so a failure right before the flag wouldn't be that bad.

I guess I could always run a DOT or something on the front.

I need you dyno experts to jump in here and give me some pointers. I have seen and read/listened to a few already. What do I have to do to perform well on the dyno???

Bodacious
10-17-2017, 02:32 PM
Arch Stalnaker <bodacious5.9@stalnakerservices.com>

AttachmentsAug 29

to Quinton

Ok Fellas,

I ain't much of a writer so I figured I'd just do the short bio thing via e-mail.

I was the last of four born to a dirt poor blue collar family not more than an 1/8th mile up the road from where I laid down my roots right here in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. We may not have had a whole lot of money, but I don't remember wanting for anything. We always farmed and still do today. I am very proud of my Mom and Dad's accomplishments. As a child, I was always the kid the parents hid the good toys from when I came over. LOL Seems everyone in the family encouraged my dream as I was often the one called for repairs. I have three wonderful older sisters. We all knew how to change our own oil, diagnose problems, and usually make our own repairs. Yes, this includes my sisters.

I joined the Army National Guard in High School. At that time they offered 80% of tuition plus the GI bill. My brother in-law, Rex Bound, gave me the courage to enroll in college. After two drop outs at what was then WVTech, I finally finished my four year degree in five years. LOL I also had a wife and kid by the time I graduated. I had big aspirations in high school of becoming a mechanical engineer and living in Detroit while helping Ford Motor Company stay ahead of the competition. The Army changed all that for me. After a couple weeks at Fort Dix, NJ, I knew I would never leave home again. I did however successfully obtain a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering Technology from Fairmont State University.

I am pretty sure my Dad secretly planted the "Hot Rod" seed years ago and has regretted it every since. He and my uncles owned some fine Detroit iron back in the day. I tore myself up in a dirt bike crash back in Jr. High School and was down for six weeks with a knee brace. My dad gave me an old Montgomery Ward riding lawn mower to tinker with while I healed up. He had also taught me how to fabricate (Farm Fab) throughout my life so I went to work on the mower with my bum knee . I swapped the driven and drive pulleys by cutting out the centers with a torch and filing, grinding, and welding until I had wildly changed the ratios. This completely unsafe (especially with a destroyed knee) heap would frigg'n fly!!!! My dad shut me down when my sisters told on me for doing burnouts on the back porch. LOL My first large fab project was installing a small block chevy, 9" ford, cage, etc... into a 1981Chevy Chevette while attending College. My uncle was the first one in the family to buy a mig welder and he let me use it on the Chevette. I spent most of my time on Saturday nights at Eldora Raceway. Eldora was a little 1/8th mile drag strip in Fairmont, WV that closed in 1999. It is now an industrial park. The closing of the drag strip contributed greatly to the success of the mud racing scene that seemed to spawn up shortly after the closing.

I found immediate work right out of college. My wife and I's first tax return filed jointly was just over $5,000. Once working, we managed to continue living like the poor WV Hill folks we are and pretty much continue to live that way today. We just have a few more toys. lol

I could go on and on with stories and memories of growing up. I have always had the ambition to make it racing. I'm not saying I'm going make it but I wouldn't be able live with myself if I didn't give it a try. I was often teased by my older peers about being such a gearhead. They dubbed me "Archie Bernstein". So now we have Stalnaker Racing Services. No one in my family is afraid of hard work so we have always been successful in some form or fashion. I pretty much lived the racing scene in 2002 when we took our 598 cu. in. BBF powered 1985 Ford Ranger and set the NMRO record books on fire. The NMRO changed the rules after that season, lol, so my records remain in black and white forever. We clocked over 8500 miles in my 'ol '90 dodge cummins that race season chasing all those races. A friend helped me assemble the engine in my garage. All in all I had about $26k total in that truck and was outrunning $50k engines.

I had a "Flash of Genius" in college and designed what I thought then was a revolutionary way to valve and internal combustion engine. So with baby diapers to buy, I sent money to a patent attorney and started the patent process. A few months later I was disappointed to find out the "Stalnaker Disk Valve System (SDVS) had been invented in 1928. lol

I believe I have had another so called "Flash of Genius" and I know this one is a go. I have been buying up the latest and greatest in diesel technology the past few years and studying this tech. With what I have learned from these engines and talking with the best in the business, I believe I have an engine design that will prove itself. ...just have to get one going. lol What better place to showcase this engine than at an Ultimate Callout Challenge. Hopefully luck will prevail and we finish securely enough this year to possibly have the engine out in 2019. Crank development starts at $8k so you can see where the holdup is. lol

Find out more about us on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Bodacious5.9/ and my build thread of "Bodacious" on CompetitionDiesel.com: Ram50 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156450)

I also have a youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdezfnSBgRzgHyFYMpxzHjw

My wife and I are working on our website. Not much to look at yet but here is a link: Home | Stalnaker Racing Services (https://www.stalnakerracingservices.com/)

I present to you our entry for the UCC2018 Competition. The "Transformer Shop Truck": Shop Truck - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196498)

Don't mind the welder talk. Some of those members are pretty tough on there. lol

Here she is dressed up in her preliminary Mud Racing Association's 'Super Stock' rules. This is the third time the truck has been torn apart.

Thanks,

Arch Stalnaker "The Earth Artist" B.S.M.E.

Stalnaker & Son, L.L.C. "We move dirt and make tubes and hoses"

Stalnaker Racing Services (The home of Bodacious)

I have been watching the UCC website and I haven't seen qualifier announcements. This is what I sent in to the UCC folks. I'm doing my best to generate excitement for UCC2018. It's gonna be a dandy.

I'm also doing my best to bring folks over to compD. If I'm not wrong, the larger CompD grows, the more revenue it generates????

Bodacious
11-19-2017, 05:08 AM
I'm sorta glad to have a lull in the construction of this truck for I seem to change my mind so much, the hinges are gonna have to be replaced.

I spoke with John at Freedom Racing Engines about supplying a sleeved 6.7 block. While speaking with John, I realized the Red Line Diesel engine I bought will more than likely get the job done in all the facets I want to entertain. So, a new UCC2018 Engine plan is born.

Since I'm about the worst salesman I know, I may as well use the first billet block I bought and forget about the MRA with this engine. This saves the money I would have spent for the 6.7 sleeve work.

I will dis-assemble the PDD solid engine and utilize the crank, rods, cam, etc...

I have the Hamilton head awaiting my camshaft choice before continuing further.

PDD supplied new Manton push rods and 14mm studs that should work with the Hamilton head.

Once I get the cam out of the solid block, I can hopefully find a number on it. I have another billet roller cam here as well I will look at.

So this is what I have so far.

As John with Freedom stated, my biggest issue will be pistons since I want to street drive this engine as well. So CompD, what are your piston recommendations?

This new plan also changes the 'rev it to the moon' theory pushing the original engine plan. Since Karl's engine won't spin the rpm's, I see no need to spin the UCC engine much harder. As most folks have pointed out, these engines were never designed for rpms. So, I may have to speak with John again as my original RPM goals steered him away from a steel top piston.

Bodacious
11-19-2017, 10:48 AM
" A set of Mahle’s lightweight, high-speed monotherm pistons was also used in Audi and Peugeot 24 Hours of Le Mans prototype race cars, including last year’s winning Audi R18 TDI. If any diesel engine needed a durable, lightweight piston, it was the 540hp 3.7L V-6 powering the R18, which spent 75 percent of the 24-hour race at wide-open throttle. "

I think I found a piston.

QMFB
11-19-2017, 01:20 PM
I was under the impression that Monotherms were heavier than OEM ?

BRE
11-19-2017, 01:27 PM
I was under the impression that Monotherms were heavier than OEM ?

Everything I know, they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Smokem
11-19-2017, 01:50 PM
You would need to go with a shorter pin/skirt and a longer rod like CP Carrillo.

Bodacious
11-19-2017, 03:42 PM
The best info I've found so far is 100 grams heavier than an cast oem. Tighter piston to wall clearance negates less piston walk? which they say in turn increases HP and longevity. Maybe I can drill some lightening holes in them. Lol

I read where John Robinson has gone through six engines with his one set of monotherms. lol I think this must have been before the LSM Block switch.

What is a fella to do??

You would need to go with a shorter pin/skirt and a longer rod like CP Carrillo.

Put the weight on the rod instead of the piston? The rods I have are longer. Need to get them pulled to verify C-C.

Bodacious
11-21-2017, 02:16 AM
I e-mailed Mahle about a piston. They have nothing in the 4.125 bore for a 12 valve.

If all I wanted to do was race, I can use a forged piston.

I will e-mail CP Carrillo next. If you read Mahle's info, a cast aluminum piston won't cut the mustard much above 800HP.

????, we regularly beat the crap out of our first race engine and all it had for pistons were marine cummins pistons.

06 DIESEL
05-08-2018, 08:41 AM
Arch, I didn't see your truck at UCC 2018, at least as much as I could see from the online live feed.