PDA

View Full Version : PSC steering gear on the way..

SuperDave4x4
07-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Well I just got off the phone with Kelvin at PSC Motorsports and I ordered me a new steering gear.:bigsmile: It was $351 to my door, but I had to have it.:ugh: I hope this fixes my wandering issure for good! I replaced my steering box a little over a year ago and it's already shot. Also I used a 1 ton instead of the 3/4 and that didn't really make any difference what so ever. If this steering box doesn't fix my problem then I'm gonna just run my truck into a wall and be done with it. :bang

Timbeaux
07-17-2006, 01:11 PM
He said this would fix it? You got the thuren track bar too right?

Billysgoat
07-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Keep us updated, I dislike the wander as much as the next guy :(

gunracer1
07-18-2006, 09:28 AM
psc are some good guys to do business with. you would be hard pressed to find a harder working bunch of guys.

SuperDave4x4
07-18-2006, 01:55 PM
He said this would fix it? You got the thuren track bar too right?

Yes I've got the Thruen 0-3" track bar, brand new Moog TREs(all of them), and I replaced all of the upper control arm bushings and my truck still wont go down the road straight. So my last resort is my 1 year old 1 ton steering box. It has a good bit of play in it just like my last 3/4 ton box did before I replaced it, so opted for the PSC box this time.

It should be installed by next monday, hopefully. :bigsmile:

SuperDave4x4
07-20-2006, 02:05 PM
It's here and boy is it pretty!!!!

Anybody got any tips on putting this sucker in with now air tools...:bang My pitman arm should come off pretty easy as I replaced the box last year. Also I want to drain all the old steering fluid out and put some fresh stuff in here. How can I go about doing that?

TooMuchBoost
07-20-2006, 03:47 PM
It's here and boy is it pretty!!!!

Anybody got any tips on putting this sucker in with now air tools...:bang My pitman arm should come off pretty easy as I replaced the box last year. Also I want to drain all the old steering fluid out and put some fresh stuff in here. How can I go about doing that?

Just pull real hard on the ratchet handle a bunch of times.

SuperDave4x4
08-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Well me and my buddy installed it last sunday and it took maybe an hour. It was 20 times easier than when I removed my old stock steering gear. BUT my truck still wanders down the road!!! I mean it did help some, but not as much as I thought it was going too. One thing I do like now is that I can turn the wheel with my pinky. :bigsmile:

The only thing I can think of now is my steering shaft is shot, so I'm about to head to my friends shop and looks things over and install a new steering stabilizer since I haven't had one in about 2 years.

RacinDuallie
08-04-2006, 12:01 PM
ummmm have you checked for frame cracks? Look by the p/s box, both sides of the frame........

SuperDave4x4
08-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Well I checked the box and the shaft that connects to the pitman arm(sector shaft I believe) is wiggleing like a loose tooth and their is fluid on it also. :bang I mean what the heck. I can't win for lose with this steering crap. I'll be calling Kelvin in the morning. :doh:

zukgod1
08-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Well that's no good.

What tire pressure are you running (size?)?

dan

SuperDave4x4
08-07-2006, 05:07 PM
I usually run 48 to 50 and the tires are 315s.

zukgod1
08-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Do you tow/haul allot.

Try your front tires @ 45-50 and run your rears @ 35-40.
In other words run the rears about 10-15 psi lower than the fronts.
Will help ALLOT!!

I'm in the same boat as far as the wander goes.
I'm going to build some new control arms with rubber bushings instead of these POS bushings that come with the lengthened arms for the lift.
I replaced my track bar ( I see you have the 03 bar) and I also installed a DSS which help a great deal. I also have a new box but just a factory replacement.

I'm guessing after the new control arms I'll be allot better off.

But even after replacing all the bushings in the current control arms and replacing the track bar the biggest thing that helped was the tire pressure.

I'm running 38"'s again till they wear out and they have a huge foot print and tend to wonder which makes the current issue worse....

dan

SuperDave4x4
09-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Well I installed my 2nd PSC box the other day. It's a good bit better, but I still got some wandering. If I hit a little bump or ridges in the road that's when I start hitting the yellow and white lines. :bang I mean I have replaced the track bar, steering box, upper CA bushings, replaced all the TRE's with Moog ones, and I still look like a reasonably intoxicated driver driving down the road. :doh: Everytime I get behind a car I get jealous that they can keep it between the lines and I can't. :doh:

If my steering shaft was worn would I be able to see the play in it or would I just have to "feel" for it?

Hey Zukgod01 I'm gonna try that air pressure deal and see how it works.