Heavy Duty U-Joints

MKoth

Trouble Maker
Any one know of strong, greasable, u joints that will fit the factory drive shaft yokes?

I need to replace the rear u joint on my truck, and want to find the strongest replacement I can, without having to get new yokes made.

Have you been breaking the stockers?

First thing is stay away from a greasable u-joint.
They are hollow to allow for the grease to get thru the cross.
Strongest I have found, without upgrading to a bigger size, is the Spicer.
Be sure to get the the ones without a zerk.
The cross is solid on them.
Question is, what do you think would break next?

Brad

I havent broken a stocker yet, but I am getting a vibration in the rear end, that I believe is u joint related, and would like to upgrade while I have it apart.

As far as breaking next? I would guess the T-Case. I am on the hunt for a NP 271 right now.

A NP 271 would be a nice upgrade.
Would like to do that when mine goes.
Good Luck, and hopefully the u-joint is your vibration problem.
Easy fix.

Brad

Spicer is the best choice when it comes to Ujoints in my opinion as well.

Definatley go with a Spicer unit, and like the others said, stay AWAY from the greasable ones, you need to have the solid body joint.

On another note, I have a 271 t-case sitting here, I've been meaning to put it in my truck before my 241 breaks, don't know when that will happen though.

Tcolesanti said:
Definatley go with a Spicer unit, and like the others said, stay AWAY from the greasable ones, you need to have the solid body joint.

On another note, I have a 271 t-case sitting here, I've been meaning to put it in my truck before my 241 breaks, don't know when that will happen though.

My guess is the day after the 241 breaks...LOL

I have 3 greasables in the rear driveshaft on my 04.5.
They seem to be holding up pretty well but I need to change them since they have about 20 hooks on them anyways (just to be safe). Those are pulls on real midwest tracks....not western dust bowls!

The 3rd gen/6 speed joints are much larger than the 2nd gen wimpy joints.LOL

Alright mister sled pull king, what size joints are in a third gen??? The Spicer part number for the solid bodied ones is 5-801X thats a 1410 series.

I wish our tracks were as tight as the ones in the Midwest, its pretty challenging lighting a large single and making it work on a loose track though.

Yeah, I've been through 3 greasable $15 jobbies from Napa in about 2 months. Getting sick of replacing them! Where's the best place to get the Spicers?

Hey that's a good price on those. I had to pay about $64 and the local stealer cuz I was in a pinch. I may order a few spares!

Tcolesanti said:
Alright mister sled pull king, what size joints are in a third gen??? The Spicer part number for the solid bodied ones is 5-801X thats a 1410 series.

I wish our tracks were as tight as the ones in the Midwest, its pretty challenging lighting a large single and making it work on a loose track though.

Do you happen to know the part number for the u-joints in the front drive shaft??

I believe a stock front drivshaft is a doudle 1330 series on the t-case side and a 1350 series on the front axle side, but I don't have a stock front driveshaft anymore......

So the other part number you listed earlier, is that for a stock rear shaft?

Read'em and weep Colesanti:evil

000_2106.jpg

Thats a picture of a 351 greasable precision (whats in my truck now). Although I do agree a non-greasable unit would probably be stronger....I should probably switch to Spicers since they're better.

Last edited:
cowboyup20x said:
So the other part number you listed earlier, is that for a stock rear shaft?

Yes sir, the stock driveshaft in a 94-02 has 1410 u-joints in them.

Back