PDA

View Full Version : 6.4L fuel issue

Nascar
02-14-2008, 11:50 AM
You guys are going to love this. One of our shop trucks is a F450 6.4L full load at $70K and lately it has been leaving puddles on the ground like a new puppie. We checked the oil and it was slightly high by a litre. Now this engine isn't known for great mileage but the last tank of fuel it went 60 miles and the fuel light came on. Let's see...1.5 mpg can't be good but we only lease the truck so off it went to the Ford dealership.

This is were it gets good. The dealer calls and says, you must have filled the oil up too high, as it has 11 litres too much. We say, I think you have a bigger problem than just a oil leak. So they drop the oil and as we suspected, they find lots of fuel in the oil.

Now this is were it gets great. Ford phones their tech line and says they found fuel in the oil. Ford says, "That is ok, as long as it isn't more than 1" of total volume of oil in the pan"...... WTF......They can't be serious. They told the service manager to drop the pan and put the contaminated oil back into the pan and let sit over night, than measure it to see if it is under or over 1" of fuel per volume of pan. :eek: Can you believe Ford thinks it's normal to have raw fuel in the oil !!!!!!!!!#@$%! Chances are they are going to say, it's good to go and we will have to drive it til it calfs, which can't be long.

I forsee another 6.0L engine in Fords hand. :rolleyes:

Baylor5.9
02-14-2008, 12:00 PM
They don't want to have to pay like they did with the 6.0 so just take the easy road out and avoid the problems till they start to multiply and bite them in the butt. i love ford's and love the way they look but it is because of this crap, that i have heard happen to many times, i don't own a ford diesel.

hope it all works out for you i would raise some hell over this.

Nascar
02-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Ford has narrowed it down to the high pressure pump, but seeing as it is internal, any leak will fill the crankcase with fuel. Engineers thought that the best place to hide the pump for less noise was in the engine. :bang Like anything else, any work on the engine will require the cab to come off. They should have designed the truck with quick connects so you can get the cab off as fast as a new brides pajama's, because you are bound to be needing to get it on and off about as much. :hehe:

Voodoo Trucker
02-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Ford has narrowed it down to the high pressure pump, but seeing as it is internal, any leak will fill the crankcase with fuel. Engineers thought that the best place to hide the pump for less noise was in the engine. :bang Like anything else, any work on the engine will require the cab to come off. They should have designed the truck with quick connects so you can get the cab off as fast as a new brides pajama's, because you are bound to be needing to get it on and off about as much. :hehe:

They should just make it a cab over, the engine is far enough back that it should have a tilt cab.

'Powerstroke7.3
02-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Maybe you misunderstood the dealer and its quite possible I could be wrong also. BUT, fuel in the oil isnt a big issue as long as its not alot. It does aid in cooling. We do that on recip aircraft all the time. Once again this may be wrong but some fuel in the oil is OK.

Now this is were it gets great. Ford phones their tech line and says they found fuel in the oil. Ford says, "That is ok, as long as it isn't more than 1" of total volume of oil in the pan"...... WTF......

Thats all I can say on the issue..

Voodoo Trucker
02-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Maybe you misunderstood the dealer and its quite possible I could be wrong also. BUT, fuel in the oil isnt a big issue as long as its not alot. It does aid in cooling. We do that on recip aircraft all the time. Once again this may be wrong but some fuel in the oil is OK.

Now this is were it gets great. Ford phones their tech line and says they found fuel in the oil. Ford says, "That is ok, as long as it isn't more than 1" of total volume of oil in the pan"...... WTF......

Thats all I can say on the issue..
Let me get this straight. You put av gas in your crank case oil in aircraft engines to help cool the engine?:confused: Yikes!

'Powerstroke7.3
02-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Once again. Im not saying that the problem at hand here is no issue in that the fuel is just dumping in there uncontrollably. I am just saying that fuel in oil isnt that big of an issue.

A. I will let you get this straight. When you know anything of recip aircraft I will talk to you.

B. Yes you are correct. Fuel is added to the oil but it burns off after head temps and, Ya know what nevermind its not worth explaining.

Good luck with your rig Nascar

Voodoo Trucker
02-16-2008, 09:50 PM
I used to be an aircraft mechanic (A&P) and have my pilots license. I don't remember ever putting 100LL in the crankcase. I think they call oil dilution and av gas makes for poor lubrication since it has no lubricity. If you run with the mixture rich you can get incomplete combustion and some of it does get by the rings and in to the oil.
Same with diesel fuel, it does have some lubricity but, not enough for the bottom end and it will damage the motor if enough gets in there to dilute the oil.