PDA

View Full Version : New ZZ CR manifold

COMP461
08-10-2006, 09:54 AM
I just received my new ZZ fabrication manifold for a magazine project truck, the quality of work is unreal, here is a few pictures of the Manifold, they have gone in to production and filling a long list of orders . . The manifold, I received has the option of a pair of spray bars installed in the port, I thank this manifold is the key to getting the airflow out of a Cummins, allowing you to port the head completely. The manifold comes with templates to cut the head that any competent machine shop can accomplish, and socket head screws. This manifold has everThe 12 valve version is being finalized this week, and custom manifolds are

turbothom
08-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Greg............the thing I don't get is, still the 12V has only one valve for each cycle. How can you cram but just so much air in there?

Timbeaux
08-10-2006, 10:42 AM
That thing looks pimp!

COMP461
08-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Greg............the thing I don't get is, still the 12V has only one valve for each cycle. How can you cram but just so much air in there?

That is the entire reason behind porting a head, and equaling out the air flow in to the different cylinders. The increase in air flow is close to 50% on a street head with a professional port job, and the only way to do this is remove the manifold. This results in the quick spool up and the reduction in power robbing boost back pressure. And the associated heat. Remember boost is only a measure of the restrictiveness of an intake track. I run one of the best turbo’s available from Industrial injection, and we only have a boost restriction of 35 to 40 lbs. If I ever get a billet head that flows real numbers that number will drop to 20 lbs and still make 1200 to 1300 hp.

MADDOG
08-10-2006, 01:02 PM
That is the entire reason behind porting a head, and equaling out the air flow in to the different cylinders. The increase in air flow is close to 50% on a street head with a professional port job, and the only way to do this is remove the manifold. This results in the quick spool up and the reduction in power robbing boost back pressure. And the associated heat. Remember boost is only a measure of the restrictiveness of an intake track. I run one of the best turbo’s available from Industrial injection, and we only have a boost restriction of 35 to 40 lbs. If I ever get a billet head that flows real numbers that number will drop to 20 lbs and still make 1200 to 1300 hp.

It must be magic that I can make over a 1000hp on just diesel with just a mild exhaust port job on a stock 12 valve head:bigsmile: I find it interesting that a lot of people claim that a ported 24 valve head will out flow a ported 12 valve head. Show me a 24 valve that has yet to make more horespower than a 12 valve.:dead-horse-fast2: and yes COMP Keating makes more horsepower than you.:evil

In my opinion head porting on a Cummins is way over rated. The proper set of turbos, waste gate, and camshaft will yield massive amounts of air flow with drive pressures well below manifold pressure.

gunracer1
08-10-2006, 01:50 PM
nice looking fab work, but i am still waiting to see what it is worth in hp. i have a head that got a full on port job [12v]. and i did think about cutting off the intake just to open everythig up. but i backed off just to keep it simple. i just wish some one could do a back to back test to see the real differance hp wise. i know the boost will be down and the back pressure should be down also but i have never seen it backed up.

cmnspwr
08-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Preston, do you happen to have a picture of Darren's intake setup he ran at Bristol this year? Pretty cool looking.

RacinDuallie
08-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Preston, do you happen to have a picture of Darren's intake setup he ran at Bristol this year? Pretty cool looking.LOL LOL Stock right:bow:

CC12V
08-10-2006, 08:29 PM
nice looking fab work, but i am still waiting to see what it is worth in hp. i have a head that got a full on port job [12v]. and i did think about cutting off the intake just to open everythig up. but i backed off just to keep it simple. i just wish some one could do a back to back test to see the real differance hp wise. i know the boost will be down and the back pressure should be down also but i have never seen it backed up.
.....and your not going to see the numbers backed up! The amount of money you spend to do this will not justify the hp gain.Plus you have very little meat left to drill and tap the head on a 12v .Darren welded a bar across the side to give enough threads,then machined all the faces on the head to straighten the warpage.
The most cost effective way to get air evenly in there is to open the top.My data logger shows the temps become fairly even.

COMP461
08-10-2006, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE=MADDOG]It must be magic that I can make over a 1000hp on just diesel with just a mild exhaust port job on a stock 12 valve head:bigsmile: I find it interesting that a lot of people claim that a ported 24 valve head will out flow a ported 12 valve head. Show me a 24 valve that has yet to make more horespower than a 12 valve.:dead-horse-fast2: and yes COMP Keating makes more horsepower than you.:evil

In my opinion head porting on a Cummins is way over rated. The proper set of turbos, waste gate, and camshaft will yield massive amounts of air flow with drive pressures well below manifold pressure.[/QUOTE

. I've been on a flow bench with both a 24 valve and a 12 valve, in stock, and ported version, Rays work, and two other giants in the diesel world. There is no comparison between a 12 and a 24 valve in air flow. There is no reason for a back to back, test; any one that truly understands how power is made will know what to do. You can’t port a Cummins head with out removing the intake. Everyone has made comment about the sound and the spool up time on out motor, well here is a big reason. But from the looks of it if you aren’t on the list today for one of these you might have to wait, he was totally covered up with orders by 5 pm. If you want one any faster one guy bought 10 to start off with , ill even give you his name Billy Ford 817 341 0127 . at less then a 1000 for them with spray bars installed , it’s a buy

Powerstroke Racer
08-11-2006, 09:38 AM
It must be magic that I can make over a 1000hp on just diesel with just a mild exhaust port job on a stock 12 valve head:bigsmile: I find it interesting that a lot of people claim that a ported 24 valve head will out flow a ported 12 valve head. Show me a 24 valve that has yet to make more horespower than a 12 valve.:dead-horse-fast2: and yes COMP Keating makes more horsepower than you.:evil

In my opinion head porting on a Cummins is way over rated. The proper set of turbos, waste gate, and camshaft will yield massive amounts of air flow with drive pressures well below manifold pressure.
1000rwhp
113mph??
What am I missing??

Powerstroke Racer
08-11-2006, 05:33 PM
1000rwhp
113mph??
What am I missing??
in all fairness I have to post this,

OK,just spent an hour on the phone with Richard listening to every excuse he could throw at me.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Fell asleep for a lil bit then my other phone rang and woke me up and you guessed it he was still mumbling about how fast it coulda gone:peace:

Bla BLa Bla

CC12V
08-11-2006, 05:41 PM
[QUOTE=MADDOG]It must be magic that I can make over a 1000hp on just diesel with just a mild exhaust port job on a stock 12 valve head:bigsmile: I find it interesting that a lot of people claim that a ported 24 valve head will out flow a ported 12 valve head. Show me a 24 valve that has yet to make more horespower than a 12 valve.:dead-horse-fast2: and yes COMP Keating makes more horsepower than you.:evil

In my opinion head porting on a Cummins is way over rated. The proper set of turbos, waste gate, and camshaft will yield massive amounts of air flow with drive pressures well below manifold pressure.[/QUOTE

. I've been on a flow bench with both a 24 valve and a 12 valve, in stock, and ported version, Rays work, and two other giants in the diesel world. There is no comparison between a 12 and a 24 valve in air flow. There is no reason for a back to back, test; any one that truly understands how power is made will know what to do. You can’t port a Cummins head with out removing the intake. Everyone has made comment about the sound and the spool up time on out motor, well here is a big reason. But from the looks of it if you aren’t on the list today for one of these you might have to wait, he was totally covered up with orders by 5 pm. If you want one any faster one guy bought 10 to start off with , ill even give you his name Billy Ford 817 341 0127 . at less then a 1000 for them with spray bars installed , it’s a buy
I wouldn't doubt you've been on many a bench in ported version.:1tooth:

MADDOG
08-11-2006, 06:58 PM
in all fairness I have to post this,

OK,just spent an hour on the phone with Richard listening to every excuse he could throw at me.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Fell asleep for a lil bit then my other phone rang and woke me up and you guessed it he was still mumbling about how fast it coulda gone:peace:

Bla BLa Bla

Actually I called to ask David a very simple question, one that I thought would take only a minute for him to answer and wouldn't you know I have to listen to him yak for an hour about Snow White this and Snow White that, and in the end the whole point he was trying to make was that he felt bad because Snow White was on the rag.

Oh and since I couldn't get a single word in my question was how much is the big DIIC?:dead-horse-fast2: