PDA

View Full Version : Harpooned my tank today.

UNBROKEN
08-14-2006, 09:26 PM
I had to drop my tank to add a bulkhead fitting for a bigger feed line to my pump....so I did the harpoon mod while I was in there.
I went right after work to fill up to see what all the fuss is about.
HOLY CHIT...this mod ROCKS.:ylsuper:
When the handle clicked off...that sucker was all but full. It took about one or two more quick pulls of the handle to see fuel in the neck.
I definetly shouldda done this sooner....I could have back all that time I spent putting in a few cents worth at a time to get the damned thing full.

This mod is definetly worth dropping the tank to do.

Dalpilot
08-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Hell yeah it is, I did mine about 2 years ago, and it still is the best "free" mod I have done.

zukgod1
08-14-2006, 10:51 PM
I assume this in on a ferd?

dan

PTSUPERD
08-15-2006, 08:12 AM
I concur. The harpoon mod is sweet.:ylsuper:

DCSpecial
08-15-2006, 08:58 AM
One of these days I'm going to do that.... :rockwoot:

Dalpilot
08-15-2006, 09:06 AM
I assume this in on a ferd?

dan

Yeah, it lets you fill the tank up all the way without spending 20 minutes. Basically you drop the tank, open the top, and clip the yellow vent pipe as close to the top as you can. You get an extra 4-5 gallons in also.

nummit
08-15-2006, 09:35 AM
How long does this job taketo complete? I have been debating this mod for a while

JJeepyjohn
08-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Me too,.. How long and what do you need to do it??

moose99ps
08-15-2006, 12:42 PM
when i put my itp system on i didnt know about this mod BUT it only took me around maybe an hour and a half to drop it install the itp stuff and have it on its way back up.. there really isnt alot to it other than undoing some lines to get the tank down. you do need the tool to undo the ford clip lines but other than that run the truck as close to empty as u feel safe and have at it

legends14x
08-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Yeah, it lets you fill the tank up all the way without spending 20 minutes. Basically you drop the tank, open the top, and clip the yellow vent pipe as close to the top as you can. You get an extra 4-5 gallons in also.

Are you talking about the vent on the bottom side of the sender? I would LOVE to do this mod! 14x:thankyou2:

imelmo
08-24-2006, 04:40 PM
I concur. The harpoon mod is sweet.:ylsuper:

ditto

pstrang
08-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Me too,.. How long and what do you need to do it??

Well, I'm no mechanic, but not an idiot either. But I struggled doing this by myself in my driveway. I guess the instructions I followed sucked. Anyway, 5 hours here. And I beat myself to death trying to contort my body in all sorts of horrible ways to reach all those hoses and fittings. Dirt, grease, and diesel fuel all over me. :(

Tools:
Racheting PVC pipe cutter (similar to a pruner; not a typical pipe cutter that you twist around) $30 at Lowes
Fuel line disconnect tool $20 at NAPA.
A hydralic jack.

You need girly arms and hands too. Some of those hoses have NO slack...very annoying. Tank has to be jacked up high into place in order to connect to the hose, but then there is NO room to work the hose on and tighten the clamp. :bang

Hardest mod I've done so far....but still worth it. :ylsuper:

nummit
08-25-2006, 09:03 PM
Would it be easier to lift the bed?

pstrang
08-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Probably, but I didn't have a hoist of any sort; nor any idea how to proceed. If I ever have to do this again....definately something to consider. Dropping the tank sucked ('course I can do it much faster a second time around).

legends14x
08-25-2006, 11:02 PM
AHHHHHHHHHH, to be a Ford tech for a living! I had my truck in the shop today. Had the tank out in 15 minutes- 10 minutes to take the sender out and cut the pipe, and 20 to put back together. BEST FREE MOD EVER!:woohoo: P.S., welcome to my world, Later 14x