PDA

View Full Version : 4020 Diesel won't govern correctly

4x4dually
04-14-2008, 09:21 AM
I split my tractor a while back to put in a new clutch. I simply unsnapped the throttle linkage off the injection pump then snapped it back on. Now, the throttle is laggy. When you move the lever up, the RPMs get higher but way behind the lever. Also, at partial throttle, the engine doesn't govern correctly. When a load is applied the engine slows down them comes up slow and sometimes over shoots the desired RPM. Anyone know how to fix this?

JWB

Signature600
04-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Sell it, and buy an Orange one:D

Sorry Jory, had to do it! I'm no help, but as many as the dern things are out there, someone will surely help ya out!

Chris

4x4dually
04-14-2008, 02:57 PM
ORANGE POWER!!! :hehe: I wish I could afford one I'd come visit you with a big trailer. :D

haloman
04-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Make sure the throttle is hooked back up correctly with no slack.

CTDYoungGun
04-14-2008, 07:16 PM
the governor ring might have given up in the pump...how long has it been since it has been rebuilt (if ever)?

Distributor
04-14-2008, 09:03 PM
More than likely the torque ring, Two ways to find out.
Take check valve out thats on top of pump and look thru it if its on it way out there will be black stuff in there. While its out plumb it back up without the valve or knock the ball out and run it if its back to normal it needs to be overhauled.

CTDYoungGun
04-14-2008, 10:35 PM
More than likely the torque ring, Two ways to find out.
Take check valve out thats on top of pump and look thru it if its on it way out there will be black stuff in there. While its out plumb it back up without the valve or knock the ball out and run it if its back to normal it needs to be overhauled.

X2...and like he said...if that cures it than it NEEDS rebuilt...it can F.U.B.A.R. your pump if you continue to run it with the gov. ring out...

Sledpuller
04-15-2008, 04:27 AM
Sounds like a 6.2 Chevy trick- same pump?

Snedge
04-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Did you try pulling the linkage off the pump and just running the pump by hand? Might just be something simple? There may be a bell crank or something that flipped on your linkage?
You didn't mention smoke? Smoke usually comes with bad pumps.