PDA

View Full Version : silencer chamber removal

Dmax-Dualie
04-28-2008, 11:02 PM
:Cheer:I went to lows and got 2 things to try and they both worked very well one being a 2" plug that you stick in and tighten a wing nut on top that sandwiches a rubber seal between two heavy duty plastic peices expanding it and making the seal, worked very well just concerned me about peices possibly falling into the engine. the other (which is the one i used) was a simple 2" flexible pipe cap made of heavy duty rubber went on tight and then used a metal cinch strap just like the ones on the oem fittings and is very snug and works great, you can find them both in the PVC pipe plumbing area. just so if anyone wants to try it. it did make a difference in the sound but not a great ammount i did notice more turbo at all speeds windows up and down, along with the opened airbox. i really appreciate the tip.
James

runem'hard
08-15-2009, 03:18 PM
:Cheer:I went to lows and got 2 things to try and they both worked very well one being a 2" plug that you stick in and tighten a wing nut on top that sandwiches a rubber seal between two heavy duty plastic peices expanding it and making the seal, worked very well just concerned me about peices possibly falling into the engine. the other (which is the one i used) was a simple 2" flexible pipe cap made of heavy duty rubber went on tight and then used a metal cinch strap just like the ones on the oem fittings and is very snug and works great, you can find them both in the PVC pipe plumbing area. just so if anyone wants to try it. it did make a difference in the sound but not a great ammount i did notice more turbo at all speeds windows up and down, along with the opened airbox. i really appreciate the tip.
James

is there ne difference and where is the silencer chamber located on an 08' lmm? im new to this site and this is the first time ive ever heard of it

Big Block 88
08-15-2009, 05:43 PM
The big chunk of plastic on top of your motor above the turbo it asys 6.6 Duramax on it, is the "silencer chamber" you will gain NO hp with this mod but it will make a very small difference in sound. The biggest advantage to this mod is, the stock units have an issue with cracking at the seam where the 2 halfs ae put together in time. Which will in turn allow the truck to suck dust and crap nito it.

WhitetailAddict
08-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Just a tip...I drilled a hole in the bolt on the expandable wing nut type cap, and installed a cotter key to insure that no unwanted objects fall into the intake in the rare case the wing nut backs off.