PDA

View Full Version : 2wd or 4wd if you could go either way for Pro-Street?

dmaxalliTech
08-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Title says it all. There is 4wd trucks and 2wd trucks, 4wd has the obvious adavantage for traction, 2wd seems safer to me with less moving parts.. What would you do/prefer/ choose?

Any and all input welcome.

partsguy662
08-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Gimmie a 4wd....Then I can pull when there is no dragrace..LOL

weweld
08-27-2006, 10:06 PM
I like the 2WD it's alot of fun to go straight :woohoo: :woohoo:

dmaxalliTech
08-27-2006, 10:11 PM
I am talking strictly a drag truck, Might be a streeter once and a while, but its purpose would be to go fast and straight.

partsguy662
08-27-2006, 10:20 PM
I am talking strictly a drag truck, Might be a streeter once and a while, but its purpose would be to go fast and straight.

There's only one knucklehead that I know of that has a fast 2wd in the Chevy world..Then again, he is from the sowth, so he's kinda slow upstairs...LOL

Gimme a 4wd...:D

C.A.P
08-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Now dat der is funny , I don't care who ya are !

weweld
08-28-2006, 01:45 AM

This is our 2WD drag truck Stroked Lightning

http://www.socaps.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/2922/cat/500/ppuser/24

RacinDuallie
08-28-2006, 04:13 AM
Pro Streeter- I'd go 4wd. Can't beat that traction with 4wd launches.

dmaxalliTech
08-28-2006, 07:36 AM
I've watched Gene's truck run a few times. I've also seen Jeff, Darren, Palmer and others run, Its no secret that the 4wd will launch, but I dont see Palmer having much of an issue either really. My concern is running that fast with all that stuff moving I guess. So far, it dont seem to be a problem though.

Timbeaux
08-28-2006, 08:38 AM
Depends. The 4x4's are harder to shed weight from if needed, but the 60 alot better. I'd have to think they are tougher on tranny and driveline stuff.

BMDMAX
08-28-2006, 10:53 AM
There's only one knucklehead that I know of that has a fast 2wd in the Chevy world..Then again, he is from the sowth, so he's kinda slow upstairs...LOL

Gimme a 4wd...:D

:kick:

I'm not Pro-Street fast though... LOL

The 4WD trucks have great short track but as these things get fmore and more powerful I think a proper 2WD setup will be safer and be faster to boot.

Billysgoat
08-28-2006, 11:46 PM
It will come down to weight and where the power is going, i.e., if you have a 2wd that can hook decent at the line vs. a 4wd the 2wd is going to be lighter and less power will be lost to driveline.

Look at the Stuckey's truck, it's a 2wd and is the first "official" 9 sec truck. I think Darren can get there IF he can get the sucker to hold together but all that traction has hurt him, there is no "give" in his setup.

Idaho CTD
08-29-2006, 12:34 AM
I'd go 2wd just because it has the potential to drop more weight not to mention less drag lower to the ground. I think the rules will get harder on the 4wd trucks due to safety concerns sooner rather then later also.

MR4WLR
08-29-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm a 4X4 guy but theres no question for me, a drag only truck it would be a 2wd

alldiesels
08-29-2006, 06:30 PM
well if i had the cash to build a truck for prostreet it would probably be a 4wd, i just love a 4wd lauch :}
but they both have there + and -'s
robert

Noreaster
08-29-2006, 06:31 PM
I think its time to ditch the pro street name due to these trucks aren't street legal anymore.

2wd will be the future of whatever the class becomes, lighter & less likely to break.

Burner
08-30-2006, 12:33 AM
I'd go 2wd just because it has the potential to drop more weight not to mention less drag lower to the ground. I think the rules will get harder on the 4wd trucks due to safety concerns sooner rather then later also.

I agree 100% for 1/4 mile trucks.

bones
08-30-2006, 08:20 AM
I think its time to ditch the pro street name due to these trucks aren't street legal anymore.

2wd will be the future of whatever the class becomes, lighter & less likely to break.
i cant speak for the others and have questioned this myself as well but the fastest dmax on the planet is still driven weekly on the street .....:rockwoot:

Powerstroke Racer
08-30-2006, 09:47 AM

Mine is a 100% street legal with all the factory amenities plus a few more.

turbothom
08-30-2006, 01:12 PM
You're right David, but you're not in the 9 sec bracket. These trucks are not street legal.

..Preston..

Burner
08-30-2006, 01:28 PM
.....Ouch :doh:

That's going to leave a mark.

turbothom
08-30-2006, 02:17 PM
I don't see why. David's truck is pro street. These others are pro mod, without a tube chassis.

zukgod1
08-30-2006, 02:49 PM
A true drag truck would be 2wd, as light as possible.

the 4x4 launch would be great but I doubt you could overcome the sheer mass compared to a 2wd.

dan

Powerstroke Racer
08-30-2006, 03:14 PM
You're right David, but you're not in the 9 sec bracket. These trucks are not street legal.
I don't see why. David's truck is pro street. These others are pro mod, without a tube chassis.

Just out of curiosity what is the difference between Pro mod and Pro Street if the rules says they have to weigh 5500lbs?

gstanfield
08-30-2006, 05:39 PM
You'll have more power to the ground with 2WD, which should make you pull a lot harder form half track than a 4WD. Rotating mass kills a lot of power, and traction can be had with a little work. This is coming from a guy with plenty experience on the 1320, but all in cars, no trucks. I figure though if we were killing as much rotating mass as possible, to the point of lighter brakes and wheels then the extra couple hundred pounds of rotating mass in the front drive system would have to suck down some serious power.

Just my thoughts,
George

RacinDuallie
08-30-2006, 07:18 PM
A true drag truck would be 2wd, as light as possible.

the 4x4 launch would be great but I doubt you could overcome the sheer mass compared to a 2wd.

dan But Pro-Street is still supposed to be streetable no? At what point does it fall into a modified category?

MR4WLR
08-30-2006, 07:47 PM

..Preston..

Fletchers truck is still street legal:poke:

Powerstroke Racer
08-30-2006, 08:02 PM
It just puzzles me what the et has to do with whether a truck is street legal or not.

UNBROKEN
08-30-2006, 10:01 PM
Agreed...we have street legal 6 second cars running around down here.

I guess "street legal" depends on where your from too...hell...my truck isn't street legal in California.

weweld
08-30-2006, 11:10 PM
Wht not in California ??

Burner
08-30-2006, 11:24 PM
..........Flip Flops

Can't drive with Flip flops......:bang LOL

turbothom
08-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Well David, from what I'm gathering, the Pro Mod is a tube chassis. Pro Street is supposed to be just that. Streetable. An engine with concrete in it is not a streetable engine. I feel for this class thing to get straight, rules are going to have to be made stronger, or more classes put in place.

..Preston..

Fletcher
08-31-2006, 02:51 PM

..Preston..

Up here they are........:woohoo:

Fletcher
08-31-2006, 02:54 PM
Up here they are........:woohoo:

Oh, wise one “ become one with the wind so everyone call feel the breeze”
Grass hopper......yeap haw !!!!

Timbeaux
08-31-2006, 03:05 PM

..Preston..

How you figure?

Powerstroke Racer
08-31-2006, 05:02 PM
Well David, from what I'm gathering, the Pro Mod is a tube chassis. Pro Street is supposed to be just that. Streetable. An engine with concrete in it is not a streetable engine. I feel for this class thing to get straight, rules are going to have to be made stronger, or more classes put in place.

..Preston..
Ya your right a filled block would not be streetable and technically should not be entered in Pro Street .

RacinDuallie
08-31-2006, 06:12 PM

..Preston..:Cheer: Makes plenty of sense right there.

SSpeeDEMONSS
08-31-2006, 06:49 PM
id like to know why UB's truck isnt legal out here in cali?

oh, and for the question, i guess if it was going to be track only then 2wd. if it saw the street quite a bit than 4wd. it's too obvious driving around with ET streets. :lolly:

Garrett

Howling
08-31-2006, 07:17 PM

..Preston..

I some what agree but the problem with more classes is getting enough trucks to make the classes competitive.

Maybe in the future when there are more trucks that are drag racing we could have Pro Street,Pro Stock,and Pro Mod.

dmaxalliTech
08-31-2006, 10:05 PM
Ok, looks like the favor leans on the 2wd. That is what I was expecting overall.

The whole "streatable" arguement here is blah blah IMO. Same with the pullers, the "street" class? Anybody else see those two dodge's at the top of the street class at Scheid?

I agree with Howling, we dont have the trucks right now to split this up anymore then it is. At this point, we need more Pro Street guys. Nobody here can tell me it wont be fun to see a solid 10-12 trucks or more at every event.

turbothom
09-01-2006, 07:54 AM
You are right , maxtech, but you have to find a way to get a 2 wheel drive to hook with a 4X4.

Also, the rules are going to have to be made very restrictive to get the trucks in an "equal" class. Now, is that possible? I don't know, but one thing is sure. There is more than 200 Xs the number of hot street trucks that could race, than the number of "Pro Street" trucks now on the track. Which do we want, a few fast trucks, or 40 to 50 on the tracks every race? All trucks have there place, they just have to be put in there respective place.

I've been racing my old hotrod friday nite at the Atlanta round track. We drag race down pit road. Two things I have learned with out a doubt. I cannot launch with a 4x4, and I cannot run again'st an S-10 blown chev, on the bottle. I give away 2000 lbs and 150 HP. Just too much much to overcome. I get jumped that truck length, and just ain't got enough to make it up. Still a blast to do.

..PrestonL..

Timbeaux
09-01-2006, 08:36 AM
I agree. We can start cutting the classes up when we have enough trucks to do so...........Then we can start complaining about inducers, RPM, ASO's etc like the pullers LOL

CC12V
09-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Well I can't sit on the sidelines anymore. First of all its very obvious there are alot of "keyboard dragracers " trying to make a point on something they know nothing about.
#1 What are the 60' ft of these 4x4's thats so out of reach? My two wheeler does mid to low 150's.
#2 Whats with this "these trucks are not streetable":blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: . You've got two with filled blocks {obviously not streetable } and everyone else that could drive there truck coast to coast if we wanted to.
A 4x4 will eventually be a thing of the past as these trucks get faster.

turbothom
09-01-2006, 02:26 PM
It sure was calm with you on the side lines. Now we're in trouble.

..Preston..

bones
09-01-2006, 03:33 PM
who has filled blocks,and if you swap them crappy race seats out a coast to coast ride would be no problem...xcept for money for fuel.the biggest issue i see with pro street is the rules,i talked with dave dunbar about this and the rules ar based on state laws as to what is dot leagl and isnt.for example in nc we have to have inspection stickers that some trucks wouldnt pass i dont beleive,however most would.but themn again how can you blame some one when there truck will pass in one state but not in another.i dont think you can fairly,its gonna take written rules with all in agreement.i think all can be made streetable.i think we should start going on a little 40 mile trip or 20 or something come back and let folks put on race tires and race.if the racers dont get stopped or pulled and tickted during this tour or over heat they arwe deffinately street legal.i also think proof of license and insurance should be a must

Powerstroke Racer
09-01-2006, 04:39 PM
who has filled blocks,and if you swap them crappy race seats out a coast to coast ride would be no problem...xcept for money for fuel.the biggest issue i see with pro street is the rules,i talked with dave dunbar about this and the rules ar based on state laws as to what is dot leagl and isnt.for example in nc we have to have inspection stickers that some trucks wouldnt pass i dont beleive,however most would.but themn again how can you blame some one when there truck will pass in one state but not in another.i dont think you can fairly,its gonna take written rules with all in agreement.i think all can be made streetable.i think we should start going on a little 40 mile trip or 20 or something come back and let folks put on race tires and race.if the racers dont get stopped or pulled and tickted during this tour or over heat they arwe deffinately street legal.i also think proof of license and insurance should be a must
Now there is a good suggestion,that would rule out non streetable trucks.

CC12V
09-01-2006, 08:22 PM
I don't have crappy race seats. I guess because I drive mine on the street.

David we could have a 100 mile drive and you still wouldn't be able to hang on the track.:aiwebs_015: :aiwebs_015: :aiwebs_015: :aiwebs_015: :aiwebs_015:

turbothom
09-02-2006, 08:34 AM
If y'all remember the first Pro Street race Dennis had at RBR in BG, the trucks had to drive a course through town with all parts of the truck functional. I dare say today, some of the trucks couldn't do that. The one's that can, they're Pro Street. The others are modified. That said, a truck that drives on the street, with all the plumbing for a bottle, doesn't mean he has to use it on the street. But he does have it for time's he want to use it. Like passing slow big rigs. 5500 lbs, one turbo, and a bottle is Pro Street. Tires is your call. But you cannot drive the road course on slicks.

I'm just saying we've gotten so far from a street truck, how is it called Pro Street?

By the way David, the umbrella's you have on your trailer are really a neat setup.

..PrestonL..

Burner
09-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Good post, thanks Tom. I think the road course would be a GREAT idea. Although, when this course is run.... will a truck need to run this before and after and if so, how close to the actual race...day, hour or minutes?

bones
09-02-2006, 11:52 AM
we dont have crappy seats either but arse is a bit to wide to rid coast to coast squeezed in that narow little seat...

CookCR
09-02-2006, 01:06 PM
i say running them on the street for 20-40 miles is a great idea, but once they get back to the track none of this changing tires business, you run it how you ran it on the street.

dmaxalliTech
09-02-2006, 04:50 PM
OK, next question...

Long box or short box with regular cab???

This is assuming the truck is a 2wd.

Powerstroke Racer
09-02-2006, 06:09 PM
i say running them on the street for 20-40 miles is a great idea, but once they get back to the track none of this changing tires business, you run it how you ran it on the street.
Just noticed the wording under your title, so never mind.

weweld
09-02-2006, 10:28 PM
I noticed it too :doh: :doh:

Billysgoat
09-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Alan, you best hush while you are ahead bud LOL LOL

Eric, I think short box, mainly for weight transfer, a long box will hook but it's not going to as well or as easily IMHO.

turbothom
09-03-2006, 05:12 PM
But you can't have a short box diesel unless you built it from a half ton, or cut it down from a 2500.

dmaxalliTech
09-03-2006, 06:09 PM
But you can't have a short box diesel unless you built it from a half ton, or cut it down from a 2500.
:rockwoot: :evil

CC12V
09-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Or you could have a short short box.....4'-11":evil

Burner
09-03-2006, 11:46 PM
I say long box. long box will appear to be stock and you will need to ADD weight to somewhere.

Hoss
09-04-2006, 09:16 AM

Take a 3/4 ton 2wd standard cab and back halve it and use a short bed in place of the long bed :ylsuper: Or build a Dakota with a Cummins :bow:

TooMuchBoost
09-04-2006, 09:36 AM
I'll be curious to see how many pro-street guys build something for new 08 pro mod class or whatever they call it. Fuel only, twins and 3800#'s sounds like good 8 second fun to me.

CookCR
09-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Ok lets think here...pro street...i would assume that means vehicles for the street, not vehicles you take around the block and say their street vehicles. People dont go out and buy big slicks to drive around all day, they have normal tires, so why should a vehicle in a street class have slicks, or a gutted interior, or one race seat, or custom suspension for the strip, i just dont get it, i might be the village idiot, but i know the difference between a drag truck and a street driven truck.

weweld
09-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Our truck is a street driven truck and it has slicks for the race track :rockwoot:

You don't drive on the street with slicks :badidea:

It has a 4 link suspension in the back that makes it hook and rides better than stock :rules:

It is not gutted it has A/C , GPS , Stereo with Amp and Speakers , CD , DVD :soap:

It gets it roll cage soon :woohoo:

02psd7.3
09-05-2006, 04:40 PM
i say 4x4

Subman631
09-08-2006, 10:36 AM
OK I'm new to modern drag racing, got back into it after a 45 year hiatus. I was just getting use to the xmas tree and you throw, "filled blocks" at me. What is the purpose of that, and how does it help drag racing?

The original title of this thread is 2 or 4 wheel drive for drag racing. While I dearly love the 4x4 I have to agree that as power gets bigger 2 wheel is probably the way to go. I think the fastest Dmax right now is a 4x4, Buck Spruill's. Fletcher's Dodge is 2 wheel drive and he doesn't seem to have any trouble hooking it up on the launch. Street legal is a vague term. Fletcher's truck is street legal, I doubt he would want to drive it very far to race it like most of us who race daily drivers do. my 2 cents worth.