PDA

View Full Version : natural gas

CTD03
05-29-2008, 01:27 PM
What do i need to convert the truck over. will it run with the fuel system
what do you think the power loss will be?

has the systems been in the market long enough to see little power loss?

toolmanoffroad
05-29-2008, 02:49 PM
I have been looking in to this also... I have 3 gas wells that I run the house and shop off of, and am looking at running a car or truck off of it. I also wanted to see about fumigating a little bit into a 4bt kinda like the propane setups. BTW is that you truck in the avatar??? I had a buddy build a dodge 6x6 that was in the top truck challenge a couple of years ago and wondering if that was it....

Scooter's Roofing
05-29-2008, 06:03 PM
YUCK!

don't get me wrong, free fuel is free fuel, but I work on natural gas engines, and every time I hop in the truck, I thank god it's diesel powered. I've got some larger stuff 5000-7000cid, but I've also got some smaller stuff.

I've got a couple 8.3 Cummins TA's... they run well, don't get me wrong, but you're going to make almost twice the power w/ diesel than you are with gas. fuel system definately won't work. you'll need a carburetor, replace the injector cups w/ spark plug cups, hang a magneto on it (or an altronic box), and you'll need to put some gas pistons in it and drop the compression in about half.

just to paint a picture, my 8.3 turbo/aftercooled engines make about 150hp at 1100* pre-turbo

CTD03
05-30-2008, 04:52 AM
forrest
thanks for the info i did find what you are talking about and said for get it to much work and would have no power

toolman not thats not my truck i had to change my avatar and i just picked that pic out