VE pump help

gracing

Ok, so I pulled of the leaking ve pump and replaced the seals in it. I put the pump back in and tried to start the truck, 89 ram 3/4 ton. I had loosened the lines at the injectors to bleed the air out. After there was fuel coming out of all the lines I tightened them back up and tried to start the truck. It finally started and ran for little while then it died and will not restart. I only have fuel coming out of the #3 cylinder line. Any ideas or did I screw something up???? going to pull it back off and take a look. Thanks for your help.

If you had it bled, then it stalled and you had air in the lines...

Then it would need to be an air leak... And those can be hard to find. Definitely rebleed it a couple more times to see if it stops doing it. Then start going over fittings and fuel lines...

I have tried to rebleed several times but the only line to get fuel is the fuel line to the #3 cylinder. all the others are dry:bang

Pull the oil fill tube, remove the 22mm nut on the pump drive shaft and see if you've ruined the wooddruff key on the pump shaft. This can happen if you don't get the keyway and key lined up properly. Or it could be air, or maybe the start/run solenoid doesn't have power or it's not working properly.

pump shaft is turning and it is getting fuel from the lift pump. guess it's fubared.
Just because the pump shaft is turning doesn't mean the key didn't get smashed. This would be like timing slipping in a p-pump. The key is no longer timed to the engine.

Just because the pump shaft is turning doesn't mean the key didn't get smashed. This would be like timing slipping in a p-pump. The key is no longer timed to the engine.

Yea, I double checked the key way and it was good. I have pulled it back out and ordered a new pump. someone had been in the pump before. new one should be here in a few days. Thank you for everyones input and help.

Back