PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP Injectror Cup Removal

BigTxDually
06-22-2008, 12:16 PM
A little background on the situation on the 1997 7.3l PSD- Had 2 dead cylinders and when tested the injectors in those cylinders were bad. Customer ordered a Stage 1 rebuild kit from Jim Rose at Rosewood Diesel and Cody at Death Row Diesel performed and showed me how to rebuild the injectors. Both of those guys are really stand up people. I cant say enough about Cody at Death Row, he is the only reason that I am this far now. Ok now to the problem, when rebuilding the injectors Cody pointed out to me that a couple of them appeared to have pitting caused by exposure to coolant so he told me to inspect the injector cups before going any further. Well upon returning to my shop and inspecting the cups I never got that far because there is coolant every where. The rear 4 cylinders are completely full of coolant and the other 4 have some in them too but not nearly as much. Now to the problem, the proper removal and install tool for the injector cups is not sold separately anymore they are sold in a $650 kit. PLEASE tell me there is some other way of doing this without those "SPECIAL" tools. I plan on getting the kit but I wont be able to afford it until after i need to have this truck finished. Thanks in advance.

-JD

mech2161
06-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Most guys use a large tap and weld a nut to the hex end to thread a slide hammer into. If you look at the factory tool it's made the same way. Go over to Power Stroke Nation and post the question there. This was recently discussed on that site.

BigTxDually
06-23-2008, 01:44 AM
Thanks, i will check it out. These strokers sure are a pain in the tail end compared to a Cummins. Oh well needed to learn all of this anyway.