Need help with 150/150 unit

lmills

Mid-Atlantic Diesel
Hey Dan

I have a customer that I installed a 150/150 unit for back in November of last year. The pump is serial number 4957. The problem it has been experiencing is a random hard/slow start on the electric motor of the pump. Occasionally it will just start and run good when he hits the key to start the truck. Other times the pump is very slow to start and takes about 20-30 seconds to come up to speed. Also, some times it will not start at all unless you tap thew motor lightly with your hand. Then it will get going.

The problem started about a week ago when he brought the truck down to get a set of twin turbos installed. When I took the truck for the test drive the night before he was coming, the FASS worked good. The next morning when I went to pull the truck out for him to come pick it up, the pump would not work. Also, the pump only has about 5,000 miles on it and has 12.7 volts at the plug for the motor.

Thanks in advance

Lloyd Mills

Mid-Atlantic Diesel Performance

Hey Dan

I have a customer that I installed a 150/150 unit for back in November of last year. The pump is serial number 4957. The problem it has been experiencing is a random hard/slow start on the electric motor of the pump. Occasionally it will just start and run good when he hits the key to start the truck. Other times the pump is very slow to start and takes about 20-30 seconds to come up to speed. Also, some times it will not start at all unless you tap thew motor lightly with your hand. Then it will get going.

The problem started about a week ago when he brought the truck down to get a set of twin turbos installed. When I took the truck for the test drive the night before he was coming, the FASS worked good. The next morning when I went to pull the truck out for him to come pick it up, the pump would not work. Also, the pump only has about 5,000 miles on it and has 12.7 volts at the plug for the motor.

Thanks in advance

Lloyd Mills

Mid-Atlantic Diesel Performance

Alright....well i will need the correct SN to start with. That, i believe is the motor SN on the back of the T-Block based on the time frame you mentioned. We should have a Tag on the fnt of the unit above the fuel filter that has the unit SN on it. For some reason, i don’t have that motor number assigned to a unit SN in my log here.

First thing i would check is all the connections. Battery, relay, fuse, pump wires. Wiggle everything with the pump running. A faulty connection will do what you are describing. We could be getting 12 Volts but very low amps to turn the motor over. I have seen once or twice a loose connection at the relay pig tale that caused intermittent issue.

Might also swap the relay out with a known working one. More than likely not the issue as they are an all or nothing thing, but its an easy component to check. Might as well eliminate it.

the relay connections were the first place I checked. :D The unit originally did not come with a relay. The owner had one installed when another company installed a remote starter. That only made me suspect it. However I checked all connections and they seemed to be very tight and that was when I worked back the line checking connections and voltage levels.

I will have to contact the owner and get the correct number for the serial number

Back