PDA

View Full Version : Cummins Garrett GT37R turbo experience .

discopotato03
09-23-2006, 08:07 AM
Hi all from nubie .

Am interested in anyones experiences with the Garrett GT37R turbo range . Especially interested in the Stage 1 and 2 version so any info and or pics most welcome .

Cheers and thanks , Adrian .

Graphic Man
09-23-2006, 12:56 PM
i have never heard of anyone running the Garrett turbos, on the cummins

HTT and Industrial inj. make some great turbos

you want to make sure you select a turbo to fit your needs, do ou tow? drag race, sled pull, or just street play

what do you have done to your truck now......or what HP do you want when you are done. are you running a stick or an auto?

Scott

RacinDuallie
09-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Call Industrial Injection-1-800-955-0476
Ask for Brady, Industrial has this turbo thang nailed down pretty solidly....

They have some of the finest turbos for Cummins diesel engines, from mild to wild they can set you up.:rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :woohoo:

:lolly:

ob1kobi
09-24-2006, 02:29 PM
To answer your question and not try to sell you something that you didn't ask for, there are alot of the new Garrett turbos out there, mainly stage 2 and 3 types, haven't heard of any of the stage 1 variations yet. I have some stuff that explains the difference between the stage 1, 2 and 3, but I think its on my pc at work, I'll check Tuesday.

I had a stage 2, no complaints about it really. The spool up was very quick due to the ball bearings, and it kept my EGTs in check fairly well. I was running Mach 6's so it would get a little too hot for comfort when I was playing but it was fine for normal daily driving.

joefarmer
09-24-2006, 04:46 PM
i have never heard of anyone running the Garrett turbos, on the cummins

:poke: I am! I currently race with a GT42 and I have run a 68mm Garrett as well. The main thing I've seen is that they can take a beating and survive.

brandon.

Signature600
09-24-2006, 08:05 PM
:poke: I am! I currently race with a GT42 and I have run a 68mm Garrett as well. The main thing I've seen is that they can take a beating and survive.

brandon.

I think he was aiming for the Ball bearing versions!

Chris

discopotato03
09-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Thanks fellas , am trying to find some pics of the stage 1 and 2 versions because all that I've seen are of the stage 3 compressor option .

No one seems to have seen the stage ones 82mm 50 trim compressor version at all .

I've come from a petrol turbo engine background but get to operate various truck and locomotive diesel powered vehicles .

nummit
09-25-2006, 06:36 PM
Welcome to CompDiesel, discopotato03

Billysgoat
09-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks fellas , am trying to find some pics of the stage 1 and 2 versions because all that I've seen are of the stage 3 compressor option .

No one seems to have seen the stage ones 82mm 50 trim compressor version at all .

I've come from a petrol turbo engine background but get to operate various truck and locomotive diesel powered vehicles .

Adrian, I have to ask, you wouldn't happen to be from across the pond would you?

smokinrod
09-25-2006, 08:30 PM

brandon.

I agree I don't beleive anything can hold up to the punishment that the BB garrets take. Heck evan Scheids have figured that out ,look at there lighting turbos they are just GT42R hybreds.

discopotato03
09-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Adrian, I have to ask, you wouldn't happen to be from across the pond would you?

Yes Australia , southern outskirts of Sydney .

Cheers A .

discopotato03
09-26-2006, 05:16 PM
I have not seen hybrid GT42R's yet . I know they come in 94 and 102mm compressor wheels but the only significant difference otherwise is the 76 trim turbine in HKS's marketed version or T51R KAI/SPL . Garretts GT42R's use a larger or 84 trim version of the same family of 82mm UHP turbines . No experience with them but the general consensus is that smaller trim turbines in the 76-78 trim range suit diesel apps a little better - probably something to do with different expansion ratios with diesels (generally) lower EGT's than petrol engines .

High Kost Spec (HKS) turbos are expensive but may just give the response and mid range edge - so down to cost vs performance .

Cheers A .

Billysgoat
09-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Yes Australia , southern outskirts of Sydney .

Cheers A .

Just wondering, glad to see ya' here :Cheer:

RacinDuallie
09-27-2006, 08:28 AM
What material are these BB's that Garrett equips these turbos with?

joefarmer
09-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Only rumors that I remember are 'ceramic ball bearing'. I searched their site for ~30 minutes and I can't find anything to prove it.

brnadon.

Billysgoat
09-27-2006, 07:21 PM
So take yours apart and find out for us :poke: LOL LOL

joefarmer
09-27-2006, 10:12 PM
:doh: LOL

:nopics: ???

brandon.

discopotato03
09-28-2006, 02:58 AM
Yes down under in Australia . I've got news that they may be here in about six weeks but at $A 3150 odd they've got no chance . Too greedy .

Cheers A .

Billysgoat
09-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Crickey!!!! That's WAY to many dollars in any currency for a turbo :(

getblown5.9
09-28-2006, 05:47 PM
does anybody know what turbo smokinrod from DTR and jsut about every cummins forum is running...i belive its the GT42R right?

Signature600
09-28-2006, 06:17 PM
does anybody know what turbo smokinrod from DTR and jsut about every cummins forum is running...i belive its the GT42R right?

GT4202R - 102mm Major Compressor diameter, or 74.3mm if we rate it like everyone else rates their turbos! Pretty close to the same size as a B2 compressor wheel!

Chris

Rods
09-28-2006, 09:08 PM
yeah Rod runs a Gt42R 74 or 76 inducer u here both , The R runs dual bearings but there not ceramic they look like wheel bearings from a racer told me who blew 2 of them up and when they go there junk u cant rebuild them , and bearing turbos are not all the big thing there ok but journal bearing turbos will make the same HP spool time is better but not that much that its worth spending 1000 extra and u cant rebuid it . Turbonetics uses a ceramic single bearing and Innovative makes a dual ceramic bearing turbo , heck iv heard of holsets with bearings in them if u want to spend the money u can have anything made up

RacinDuallie
09-29-2006, 07:11 AM
yeah Rod runs a Gt42R 74 or 76 inducer u here both , The R runs dual bearings but there not ceramic they look like wheel bearings from a racer told me who blew 2 of them up and when they go there junk u cant rebuild them , and bearing turbos are not all the big thing there ok but journal bearing turbos will make the same HP spool time is better but not that much that its worth spending 1000 extra and u cant rebuid it . Turbonetics uses a ceramic single bearing and Innovative makes a dual ceramic bearing turbo , heck iv heard of holsets with bearings in them if u want to spend the money u can have anything made up

Good post-Rods!:bow:

Rods
09-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Rods R has been good to him even @ those boost #s :)) the water CHRA helps to lol , shoot i got a holset with a water CHRA i may need to hook it up

The import guys live by the BB turbos cause there looking for that extra 10th in the 60ft Turbonetics even shows a test and the BB was a hare quicker , it might help the diesel drags if they want that extra 10th or 2

discopotato03
09-29-2006, 08:49 PM
Guys the honest situation is that any turbo can be rebuilt - even the ball bearing ones . Garrett don't want you to know this because they can demand higher prices for a cartridge (bearing housing with guts and wheels fitted - basically everything except the compressor and turbine housings) and its a quick operation to swap the housings onto a new cartridge . No warranty issues because all the internals are new inc the wheels .

Its laughable how simple their BB internals are to disassemble and re assemble , no mucking about with small circlips like in a bush bearing turbo. Ball bearings aside there are less components inside a BB cartridge than a bush one . Its ridiculous how much the price varies between BB and bush/plate turbos because the dual ball bearing pac doesn't owe Garrett anything like $1000 . I reckon if you could buy all the seperate components you could replicate most of the HKS/Garrett range which they don't want you to do . What may eventually put salt in their crack is if the Chinese start making the components and selling them to anyone with the readys (bucks) .

Just back to the GT42R's , GT4202R , Garretts version uses a 53 trim compressor and 84 trim turbine where HKS's version (T51R SPL) uses a 56 trim compressor and 76 trim turbine . Their compressor cover is a custom job and looks to be a larger area radius ratio (AR) than Garretts and at times when they do this the diffuser section inside is larger in diametre which is supposed to help high boost compressor efficiency . Unfortunately they only sell that turbo with one size exhaust housing (1.00AR) which is probably too small for diesels with their lower combustion and EGT .

If anyone does lay their hands on the Stage 1 GT3782R could I possibly see some pics of it with the comp cover removed (at the compressor wheel) and the ID tag which is rivited to the front of the compressor cover on these turbos - I think .