coolant loss??

house

the Fat kid!
ok after lbz cp3 install. ive smelt coolant and noticed it was low once, so topped it off and pressure tested it, so let it set at 16psi on the tester for a hour and half and never dropped. So drove all weekend, towed most of it, then towed a big f450 from Mi home on monday and low collant light came on 5 miles from home. so let truck cool down 4 hours and took resivor cap off and was under lots of pressure and level rised back up some, topped off and closed it back. Today had it pressure tested with a warm motor and also tested for gases in the coolant and both passed fine. Upper hose is soft. Instaled a new resivor cap today too and going to see if that helps. My only other thought would be injector cups???

House, I just replaced my water pump on Saturday. Was leaking a bit and if you crawl under the front of the truck you should be able to see the front of the engine is wet. Only once in about a year did it actually leave a drip on the ground, but I suspected it for a while. From reading on DP, it's pretty common on Dmax's. When we pulled it off, the gasket on the coolant line going to the pump was breaking down as well. Mine never got low enough for the "low coolant level" message, but I never towed or really got the ECT up very high either. Check it out, and good luck.

hey house, hopefully it could be an injector cup, or hose or pump leak, but sometimes on the dmax it takes a while for enough carbon dioxide to be detected. they usually don't start by leaking alot. usually just as you have noticed, slight loss of coolant over time, or under heavy loads. your dmax is an 01 correct? unfortunately they tend to have head gasket issues that grow as time goes by, watch for over or under pressurizing of coolant pressure bottle, and loss of fluid. they can leak outside of the combustion chamber also, but then they leave little puddles of coolant. hopefully
it won't be the gaskets! good luck with it!

p.s. did you disconnect any of the coolant lines when you did the cp3? could be an air pocket in the system, and coolant could take a long time to burn off completely. hopefully thats the case.

Last edited:
Check the bypass hose behind the clutch fan pulley mine is leaking but no trace of anti freeze, it gets thrown around by the fan and evaporates.

if its a stock turbo, check the coolant line going to the turbo. they get hot from being on top of the engine and can weep over time.. due to their location coolant will evaporate and you'll never see it.

easy to replace.

Back