PDA

View Full Version : Ford guy here...i want to help my dodge buddy

TANKS 250
10-01-2006, 06:38 PM
First off ....lets get it all out....I dont care about Brands....i care about reliability,....I've owned a bunch of different Brands and they all have their faults..

****HERE'S WHAT I GOT****
I own an 2005 Ford F-250 4x4, Crewcab, shortbed, PSD, manual tranny, DR 4.5 " lift, 39.5" Iroks, and 3.73 gears ( 4.56's and two ARB air lockers installed next week)...

POWER ENHANCEMENTS:

SCT
4" turbo back MBRP,no cat
AFE Stage II PG_7 intake
Southbend High performance clutch

POWER KILLERS:

LEER truck cap
3.73 gears
39.5 x 20 IROKS
crewcab
Donahoe Racing 4.5" lift
Custom fab'd safari rack w/ full spare....check pics in gallery

Alright now you know what i have,...and your probably wondering why i'm here...

A guy i know from the local bar that i'm a doorman at,.. has tried to race me a couple times.....in my BIG, HEAVY, truck,...and never even gets remotely close.....

I told him i'd find out what we could do to give his truck alittle more power....so i came here...

he has a totally stock 95 dodge cummins, 4x4, single cab,...well thats all i know...

Is that enough info for you guys to work with....to help this guy put some ponies under his hood?

if you guys could make a grocery list,...in order...of what he needs to do...and the estimated prices next to them....i dont know what he's looking to spend ....probably not more than 2-3 grand,...as with all things probably the cheaper the better....it would greatly "HELP ME , HELP HIM".....lol......dont bother asking me to call anyone,,,,...all i want is a list to help him out....

he'll thank you for all your help....especially if you can get him to outrun my overweight smoker

haz-mat19
10-01-2006, 08:55 PM
Auto or manual, auto will cost a lot more then a good clutch. Not a 12v guy, but Gauges $150-300, injectors?, fuel plate ? or free, valve body(if its an auto)about $600. I know others will chime in with a lot more info then I have:doh: .

gstanfield
10-01-2006, 09:18 PM
With him having a 12V all he has to do is make the tranny live and there are enough free power enhancements on the 12V to make you wish you hadn't helped him out as much :) Find out what tranny he has, let us know and we can help more from there. The 12V has lots of free power waiting to be had and others can tell you better than I can what they are, but I've done a few to my 12V and man, what a diffrence.

George

DBogo
10-01-2006, 09:26 PM
the big thing is if it is a auto or a manual tranny

Billysgoat
10-01-2006, 10:16 PM
If it's an auto, tell him to plan on a TQ and a VB, add in a 4" turbo back for around $350 and an AFE intake for around the same. Now take a file and some wrenches to that pump and you can have 350HP rikky tick.

Now, what part of the country are ya'll in? If one of our Dodge 12V guru's are close by an afternoon of wrenching and he could leave a happy man :)

Oh, and you will be looking at his tailgate next race LOL LOL

TANKS 250
10-01-2006, 11:45 PM
LOL..."looking at his tailgate"....he would love that....i think he's gettin tired of me saying..."just flick your headlights on and off when you want me to stop"....lol

And my truck is in no way BUILT for racing..i added a couple things just to get this fat B**ch out of its own way....lol...i keep adding more weight to it.

I'm just trying to help him get some more useable power..

BTW- you guys keep saying " gotta find out if it's a manual or auto".....could you guys give me two different lists.?...and try to keep the abbreviations to a minimum...TQ?....VB?....ummmm duh....lost...and maybe send me to a couple links ....that have pics...for whichever mods....so i can print them out for him....

thanks for your help guys

RacinDuallie
10-02-2006, 04:27 AM
Sandy Hook N.J.? ? Where in Jersey is your slow Dodge friend??:evil :evil
I'm in Jersey as well....... :evil :evil How bad does your buddy want to beat you by? And how much is he willing to spend?:evil

Be careful though, it just may very well be you looking at HIS tailgate, with one afternoons worth of work......:evil

VB= Valve Body in Auto Trans
TC= Torque Converter

If truck is an Automatic, there is where improvements are gained big, with upgrades to the Valvebody and Torque Converter I'd also opt for a Billet Input Shaft also.( seen em go with around 350-400 hp ) Then I'd have him go with a 4" exhaust and downpipe. A AFE Air filtration system. Gauges. Remove silencer ring in turbo. And some qwick and easy P-pump tweaks and I'd say he's got you covered. If he wants to he can score some better injectors too. But really money cant be better spent in the trans first. Auto or manual it doesn't matter. If manual, a better holding clutch set-up- i.e. South Bend Clutches.... After the trans is put up to snuff the rest is easy...:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Maybe a Jersey B.O.M.B. party should be called for?:evil :evil

TANKS 250
10-02-2006, 06:32 AM
we are located about 45 min south of NEWWARK, it's right on the water.

I dont know how much he wants to beat me by,...but i 'm sure he wants it by enough that even with driver error,..that i still dont have a chance.

how much HP does he have at the wheels?

He'll beat me with just tranny and fuel pump upgrades? wow ...i thought my SCT gave me alot more than that!!

BOMB party? here we go again with the abbreviations....lol

RacinDuallie
10-02-2006, 06:40 AM
B.O.M.B. is an abbreviation for "Better Off Modified Baby!!"

A BOMB Party is where a bunch of folks get together and throw mods onto trucks, learn new tech, teach others info, installations of new parts, meet new friends, eat some good grub, bench race.ect ect. It's where boxes of new go fast parts become empty boxes. And everyone helps everyone.:rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot:

LOL LOL LOL

I happen to know of a shop that I could possibly get them interested in hosting a B.O.M.B. party?

TANKS 250
10-02-2006, 07:30 AM
lol.....now i know what a bomb party is.....how the info on the other questions..

RacinDuallie
10-02-2006, 07:37 AM
He'll beat me with just tranny and fuel pump upgrades? wow ...i thought my SCT gave me alot more than than

Depends on trans and gearing.....

gstanfield
10-02-2006, 12:50 PM
tanks, the reason we keep asking abou the trans is that the 12V trucks used several diffrent injector pumps and auto and manual had diffrent ones so to really be able to help we would need to know which he has.

For a really good starting point, upgrade the tranny. I just installed a torque converter and valve body along with a few internal mods to my transmission on my 97 and dropped 3.4 seconds off my 0-75mph time without touching the engine. This also will allow the tranny to live at much higher HP levels that it would stock. After that get a good set of gauges to monitor trans temp (if auto) boost, and most importantly exhaust temp. Then take the Bosch P-7100 injection pump and start tweaking it (very easy to do and free mostly)

With tranny upgrades, gauges to monitor what's going on and exhaust he can easily modify his injection pump to really fill out the power. Add a $30 boost control elbow and raise boost a tad and you'll have to get better lights on the front of your truck so he can see them in his rearview as you flash for him to stop :) :) :)

George

Billysgoat
10-02-2006, 08:49 PM
With a 95 IIRC he should have about 160HP to the rear wheels if it's an auto. After some tranny work one afternoon's BOMBing will have him in the 300 range easily. A set of injectors and some more pump work will put him in the high 3's low 400 range and he can play with stang's...and win :evil

TANKS 250
10-02-2006, 11:10 PM
thanks BILLSGOAT,...thats what i was lookin for.....i want too help my boy out!!!

Billysgoat
10-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Oh, we can help him out all right :evil

gstanfield
10-04-2006, 09:54 PM
I jsut got back from testing my truck after I did some free P-pump mods to it. Stock it did the 0-70mph test on my uphill run at 27.4seconds, the with tranny upgrades it dropped to 24.2seconds. I then ground my plate to a "100" grind, slid it foward, turned my AFC screw and did the same run at 17.3!! That's a huge increase in power for free. My EGT's did get kinda high though so I'll have to back off a little for longevity, but I have a $30 boost control elbow to install and get it some more air to help keep those temps down.

POint is, these are the easiest to hotrod engines out there IMHO.

George

TANKS 250
10-04-2006, 11:25 PM
thanks for all your help guys,...when i see him again...i'll find out some better info on his truck....and hopefully you guys can either walk us through these mods, or have some pics of the mods in progress....either way ...thanks

but if he does get close to beating me,....or does beat me,... i'll have to do some more modding myself....lol

gstanfield
10-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Hey, it's all good. We have guys on here that can hook you up too I'm sure. We'll be wating to hear back from you.

George

RacinDuallie
10-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Tanks, LOL LOL I'm diggin that avatar...... I can relate.:evil :evil

nummit
10-05-2006, 07:12 PM
I jsut got back from testing my truck after I did some free P-pump mods to it. Stock it did the 0-70mph test on my uphill run at 27.4seconds, the with tranny upgrades it dropped to 24.2seconds. I then ground my plate to a "100" grind, slid it foward, turned my AFC screw and did the same run at 17.3!! That's a huge increase in power for free. My EGT's did get kinda high though so I'll have to back off a little for longevity, but I have a $30 boost control elbow to install and get it some more air to help keep those temps down.

POint is, these are the easiest to hotrod engines out there IMHO.

George

Daymn George, you dropped 10.1 seconds and spent 30 bux?
Thats just crazy!

gstanfield
10-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Well, $30 on the engine, $1600 on the transmission. Rest assured the stock tranny would not have come close to holding the power made, it was slipping with the stock plate slid foward a tad.

But yes, it is a totally different truck, night and day. My wife can't figure out why I don't ride my motorcycle as much as I used to, this truck is so darn fun to ride :)

George

Billysgoat
10-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Daymn George, you dropped 10.1 seconds and spent 30 bux?
Thats just crazy!

Now you are starting to see why folks love the 12V :ylsuper:

gstanfield
10-05-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm a believer that is for sure. I was skeptical at first, but WOW!