PDA

View Full Version : 4400 combine

farmboypowerstr
10-08-2008, 04:02 PM
It goes in 1st and 2nd, but not 3rd or 4th. Must be something in the tranny? anyone has any problems like that?

morkable
10-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Dosent that unit have long linkages from the shifter to the tranny? If so they are probably bent a little.... I wouldnt think that the tranny would be damaged especially in those gears

Kevin

farmboypowerstr
10-08-2008, 04:09 PM
yes it has the cables, and they are fine, not bent or anything, i replaced one of them

morkable
10-08-2008, 05:56 PM
maybe a little out of adjustment?

I just find it hard to see something wrong with the tranny,,, reverse working fine?

Kevin

farmboypowerstr
10-08-2008, 08:29 PM
reverse works fine 1st and 2nd works fine, its only 3rd and 4th that doesn't work

morkable
10-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Usually,, not allways, 3 and 4th share the same shaft with reverse. I am not really familiar with that particular tranny, but it sure sounds like something is wrong with either the linkage on the tranny, or with the cables somehow.... hard to tell really without being there

Kevin

Signature600
10-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Any noises?

Hydro or just a gear drive? I'm assuming a gear drive only, with variable speed? Possible variable speed, belt problem...like the belt or sheave won't support the torque needed for the bigger gears?

I'm a Gleaner guy, but I've seen all sorts of stupid problems;)
Chris

farmboypowerstr
10-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Any noises?

Hydro or just a gear drive? I'm assuming a gear drive only, with variable speed? Possible variable speed, belt problem...like the belt or sheave won't support the torque needed for the bigger gears?

I'm a Gleaner guy, but I've seen all sorts of stupid problems;)
Chris

gear drive, with varible speed, i'll have to check into it more today

farmboypowerstr
10-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Got it fixed, the cable were not adjusted just right. it wasn't pushing the rod in far enough

morkable
10-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Just what I thought. Glad you got it fixed!

Kevin

farmboypowerstr
10-09-2008, 09:37 PM
here is a very poor pic of it

morkable
10-09-2008, 09:46 PM
To be honest, and we have lots of green up here, I have never seen a 4400 before.. what vintage would that be?

Kevin

Signature600
10-10-2008, 07:32 AM
To be honest, and we have lots of green up here, I have never seen a 4400 before.. what vintage would that be?

Kevin

Way too small to have many up there...you're in big country, where even the little guys had big combines to cover all that grain territory.

At least from what I've seen when I was up there;)

4400's are early 70's IIRC!

Chris

zstroken
10-10-2008, 07:36 AM
4400's are early 70's IIRC!

Chris

That sounds about right.

morkable
10-10-2008, 08:21 AM
You were up here Chris, what part of the country were you in?

Yeah alot of the farmers up where I am from have the new 96xx series JD's etc. Half million dollar combines. The fellow that rents my land has the new Cat combine with tracks on it

Kevin

Signature600
10-10-2008, 08:26 AM
You were up here Chris, what part of the country were you in?

Yeah alot of the farmers up where I am from have the new 96xx series JD's etc. Half million dollar combines. The fellow that rents my land has the new Cat combine with tracks on it

Kevin

Not near as far up as you are, I believe.

I was around Winnepeg, and Portage la Praire a couple years ago. We were touring the Buhler factory (we're dealers), and then spent a few days at an Allis Chalmers show out at Portage.

Too flat up there:D
Chris

farmboypowerstr
10-10-2008, 08:39 AM
yeah its small, we have other combines we use. I keep this one, because there isn't many others out there in this shape i have never seen any others with the Mud Hog system on

zstroken
10-10-2008, 08:48 AM
yeah its small, we have other combines we use. I keep this one, because there isn't many others out there in this shape i have never seen any others with the Mud Hog system on

I was curious if those were rear wheel assist or not. The hub looked like it was. That is the first 00 series JD that I have seen with the 4WD on it.

Signature600
10-10-2008, 08:51 AM
It does look like a pretty nice machine...for a Deere:p

Chris

morkable
10-10-2008, 09:51 AM
That is quite a bit south of me,, close to the equator,,,, LOL,, where I am from we are only a hop skip and a jump to the Rocky Mountains, so not as flat... Gods land. Where I am living now is in smack dab in the middle of the borealis forest,,, no farming, trees and oil sands everywheres.

I hear ya Chris, never been green myself, we were red (international) Massey combines later on a white

Kevin

Signature600
10-10-2008, 09:58 AM
That is quite a bit south of me,, close to the equator,,,, LOL,, where I am from we are only a hop skip and a jump to the Rocky Mountains, so not as flat... Gods land. Where I am living now is in smack dab in the middle of the borealis forest,,, no farming, trees and oil sands everywheres.

I hear ya Chris, never been green myself, we were red (international) Massey combines later on a white

Kevin

I thought you were way up there!

Massey and White Combines huh? We've come a long way since then:hehe:
Chris