PDA

View Full Version : Fass Fuel Problems

injected79
10-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Well tonight i cam home and changed the fuel filter on my fass fuel system, due to the last time i pulled the driveshaft broke and put a dent in the bottom of the filter, no damage was done, truck has ran fine since the incident about 3 weeks ago. So i changed the filter primed it all that fun stuff fire the truck up let it ran for about 30 seconds then took off down the road, made it about 1/4 mile or less and the truck died and wouldnt fire back up. So i checked a few items and i wasnt getting any fuel. Then i drug the truck back to the shop and worked on it for a couple minutes and found i had blown the fuse on the fass system, I put a new fuse in started right up ran for 30 seconds or so and blew the fuse again. Then i went back and checked the wiring, no marks, tears, breaks, everything was fine so i tried it again. same thing happened. At this piont i put a new fuse in and the old filter back on to make sure the new filter wasn't a factory defect filter were it wasnt allow it to draw fuel.And of course samething happened. Im going out this morning to test fuel pressure before the pump blows the fuse and ill post what that is reading is when i get back in this afternoon.

Does this sound like the pump is going out already?

Its only been on since late april.

Any other idea's ?

I also posted this under dodge diesel performance section sorry for posting twice.

injected79
10-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Ok, so i ran some more tests and here is what i came up with.

1st thing i did was put an inline fuel gauge in it, and it showed 40 psi for about 25 seconds then i hit the pressure relieve valve on the gauge and it blew the fuse. Not sure if it was bad timing or if that is what caused it to blow.

2nd - I pulled the feed line off the back of the pump to make sure i didnt have a fuel feed problem, and i didnt, fuel ran out as fast as it could for 2 minutes straight, so i reconnected the line.

3rd I pulled the line off the front of the pump going to the engine and put a hose on it running to a fuel can. Turned power on to it and it sprayed fuel with no problem. Had an amp gauge on it and showed it to be running about 9-10 amps.

4th Reconnected the fuel line running to the engine with the fuel gauge still in it, showed to be running 40 psi still, i hit the relief valve on the gauge pressure drops to 30-33 psi the let go of the valve and back up to 40. At this point it had been running for 45 seconds or so and the wires are hot to the touch. I think i may have seen a little smoke from around the fuse. Gauge showed it to be running 25-28 amps.

Any ideas and why it is getting so hot

injected79
10-11-2008, 12:59 PM
I just checked my return line, and i have a good return flow also. free flow into a 5 gallon fuel can runs 9-10 amps, but when it is hooked back up into the fuel system it runs 28-30 amps then blows the fuse. When i was just was running some tests on it the wiring got hot enough it melted the wire loom around it in one spot, but didnt hurt the wire. So im finished with it untill i can hear something from fass.

IF anybody else has any ideas please let me know

fordcummins01
10-11-2008, 05:03 PM
if there are truly no wires rubbing anywhere, and you have clean 12 volts back to the pump, the pump is bad. Probably bad fields or armature on the motor. Sounds like with the mods you would have, I would recommend using the stock lift pump. Do you still have it? These are about the most reliable...Hope you saved your documents on your FASS purchase.

injected79
10-11-2008, 05:59 PM
the kit is the 150/180 system for 45 psi,

The factory lift pump is living in a junk yard somewhere.

I went with the fass system due to the fuel modifications, the last thing i wanted to do was run lean on the fuel getting to the injection pump and burn it up.

The injectors are ddp 4 which i seen i didnt have listed in my signature, not that it make a huge difference.

fordcummins01
10-11-2008, 06:39 PM
I had the same mods done to my old 95 crew cab. It never ran out of fuel with the 500 horsepower tune, which I'd say is about what your running. I thought I'd just provide that suggestion so you could drive the truck again. I've about given up on electric supply pumps. Mechanical driven is the way to go.

injected79
10-11-2008, 06:48 PM
unless we can figure something out , that may be in the near future.

fordcummins01
10-11-2008, 07:21 PM
I think I've got another one here you could have for a small price.

injected79
10-13-2008, 07:38 AM
Well i just checked ever single wire that has any possbile link to the fass system double checked my ground and no luck, i found THe motor is just drawling to many amps.

Diesel-Dan
10-13-2008, 12:21 PM
i am out of office until tom. Call you Dealer with your unit SN and such and have them get in touch with us.

injected79
10-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks Dan, i spoke with jim earlier and we are getting everything taken care of.

Diesel-Dan
10-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks Dan, i spoke with jim earlier and we are getting everything taken care of.

Wonderful! Thats how it works....should get you back up and going again here soon....these happen every now and then...let me know if i can do anything from my desk here...im back in office....

injected79
10-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Thanks Guys, i received the parts today so either tonight or tommorow they will be installed, hope that takes care of the problem

Diesel-Dan
10-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks Guys, i received the parts today so either tonight or tommorow they will be installed, hope that takes care of the problem

Well im here if it dont...but it should based on your symptoms....

White Knight
10-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Once you get it figured out, post up what the problem and solution was please.

injected79
10-19-2008, 11:24 AM
well i just wanted to let everyone know that i recieved the t-block and pump head, installed it and that took care of problem.

thanks dan and jim

Diesel-Dan
10-20-2008, 08:06 AM
well i just wanted to let everyone know that i recieved the t-block and pump head, installed it and that took care of problem.

thanks dan and jim

Glad we could help......:Cheer: