Did the 05's w/out the 6spd Allison have problems?

B.A.Ram

A Big Deal
Looking at a very clean 05 GMC loaded with 67,000 miles. I'm pretty positive it has the LLY with the 5spd Allison. I don't know anything about the duramax trucks except for my brother has a 06 LBZ with the 6spd Allison and loves it. Were the 05 problem trucks or should I be in the clear. He has a mild Hypertech in it for mileage but that is it. The truck will not get built into a highhorsepower rig, just a nice leather 4wd truck to drive back and forth to the office and out to the hunting lease.

Well...I did some reading and it looks like they had overheating issues...with that being said, I would still like input from you duramax guys on the truck as a whole. I don't plan on towing it, the most performance this truck will see is a mild econ tune and maybe an exhaust. Were all 05's prone to overheating, and if so was it only during towing or just normal driving?

All 05's had the 5 speed, the 6 speed didnt come til 06 wiht the lbz. As for the overheating, Ive never seen one doit out of all the trucks ive seen, i hve a 04 and 05 lly truck neither have over heated towing or anything else, but they both have always had exhaust,intakes and tuners on them!

So an 05 would be a safe bet? Like I said, my brother has an 06 and has put 125,000 problem free miles on with a trans-go and PPE and loves his. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any problems that I should know about. Sounds like you are happy with yours and you haven't had any problems with the performance parts you've added...how many miles have you put on yours?

I cant recall but maybe one lly have some overheating issue that i have worked on.We have put some serious tunes in them.I mean dont get me wrong everything has its issues, but i have heard of very few lly having problems.

I actually think That the 05 is probably the most reliable year duramax built. Doesnt have the seemingly problem pistons some LBZs have or the problematic injectors that the LB7s have. Mine is an 05 and i know of many around here and have seen no issue with overheating,

Back