PDA

View Full Version : 05 Gmc

mikehalseyjr
12-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Going to test drive an 05 GMC with the 6.6 in it tomorrow night. Do the lly motors have any major probs? Any things in particular to look for?

Thanks.

DieselNasty
12-02-2008, 09:26 PM
LLYs and a few little problems that are pretty easy to fix. One is the harness gets worn thru where it lays on the alternator bracket which just needs to be isolated. Two is the ice pick fix for 2 and 7 injector connectors or you can get the GM fix for it. Other then that there are just a few things you would want to do It you get it like Re-Routing the PCV, blocking EGR, and capping the intake resonator.

mikehalseyjr
12-03-2008, 05:48 AM
I am going to take a stab and say the PVC is the crank case vent?

Intake resonator? Is that supposed to make the intake quieter?

DieselNasty
12-03-2008, 04:52 PM
PCV is basically a crank case vent and it routes in front of the turbo and back into the engine. You don't want that oily mess coating everything. Yes the resonator is supposed to make the truck quieter, I guess the turbo noise mostly.

brianv31
12-07-2008, 09:14 PM
the ice pick fix for 2 and 7 injector connectors or you can get the GM fix for it.

What exactly is this procedure, and what problem does it fix?

DieselNasty
12-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Inside the plug the it loses connection where it clips to the injector and its basically because those to wires are on the end of the harness and GM didn't give them enough slack so its kind of a bad design. The ice pick thing is you getting a sharp thin pick and stabbing the connector in 2 places where the metal prongs are to get a new crimp and good connection. GM sells a fix where you cut the connector off and they give you a new one with extra wire attached, butt connectors and a bracket for each side to mount the longer harness. There is a nice write up with pics on The Diesel Place in the DIY forum.

brianv31
12-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks, I'll check out the Diesel Place's write-up.