PDA

View Full Version : Smokn & Knockn Lb7

808HOLLER
12-10-2008, 02:45 PM
My '04 Lb7 started smoking white/ gray out the ex. checked the compression,165-175psi. injectors seem to be fine. changed 2 because I believed that they were bad. Tried disconnecting the edge programmer, but same. when I first started the truck it ran smooth but smoked a little. As it ran longer, (5-10 min.) it smoked worst. when revving to 3k the motor would knock, like detonation. changed oil, nothing in there, bearing wise. I have had a smoking problem ever since I put the nozzles on(12 port). Could it be fuel computer?sopmething else? I'm stumped.:bang

Signature600
12-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Compression should be near 400psi...at least all the Cummins I have checked were. Worst I've ever seen was 200psi on a engine that still ran.

Chris

wideopen
12-10-2008, 03:14 PM
How big were the Nozzles?

808HOLLER
12-10-2008, 03:28 PM
SORRY, 365-375PSI.Nozzle size , I don't know. After putting the injectors in the first time power was mean, but with smoke at idle, gray/ white but not as much as now. After the revs came up the engine would clear out. The present smoke condition started when I noticed that the air filter was clogged. After I put on a clean filter the problem still never went away.

wideopen
12-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Sounds like to much fuel? I had an 02' doing the same thing. But It had a big turbo, Nozzles,and Edge Box(Non-Hott), it's biggest problem was not enough Programing.

808HOLLER
12-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Is there a way to program it to work? I have EFI live. just need a tune

wideopen
12-10-2008, 03:48 PM
We have several Vendors here that specilize in EFI tuning. Call them with the Specs. they may be able to write a tune that works for you.

808HOLLER
12-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanx alot. could the baro. sensor have something to do with it? There's a P2227 code. I also converted from Calif. emissions to Fed. by switching intakes, taking out egr, cooler, blocking exhaust at rear near turbo. Vacuum hoses, pump in the trash,emissions plugs are disconnected. Maybe a Fed. harness would be good. I also have a FASS 150 pump. Shouldn't matter I don't think. thanx again.

wideopen
12-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Maybe someone else that knows a little more could chime in?

Found this Everything you ever wante to know about the BARO:

DTC P2227
Circuit Description
The barometric pressure (BARO) sensor measures the pressure of the atmosphere. This pressure is affected by altitude and weather conditions. A diaphragm within the BARO sensor is displaced by the pressure changes that occur from varying altitudes and weather conditions. The sensor translates this action into electrical resistance. The BARO sensor wiring includes 3 circuits. The engine control module (ECM) supplies a regulated 5 volts to the sensor on a 5-volt reference circuit. The ECM supplies a ground on a low reference circuit. The BARO sensor provides a signal voltage to the ECM, relative to the pressure changes on the BARO sensor signal circuit. The ECM converts the signal voltage input to a pressure value.

Changes in BARO due to weather are relatively small, while changes due to altitude are significant. Pressure can range from 56 kPa at an altitude of 4267 meters (14,000 feet), to 105 kPa at or below sea level. The BARO sensor has a range of 8-207 kPa. The ECM uses the BARO sensor input for fuel delivery and other diagnostics.

Within the ECM, the diagnostic compares the BARO sensor input to the boost pressure sensor input. If the ECM detects that the inputs are not within a specified amount of each other, DTC P2227 sets.

DTC Descriptor
The following procedure supports the following DTC:

DTC P2227 Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor Performance

Conditions for Running the DTC
DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0237, P0238, P0299, P0335, P0336, P0500, P2228, P2229 is not set.
The engine speed is between 580-900 RPM.
The engine run time is more than 8 seconds.
The vehicle speed is less than 40 km/h (25 mph).
The accelerator pedal position (APP) is less than 69 percent.
The engine coolant temperature is more than 20°C (68°F).
The mass air flow (MAF) is less than 50 g/s.
The power take-off (PTO) is not active.
The above conditions are met for 5 seconds.
DTC P2227 runs continuously once the above conditions are met.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
The ECM detects that the difference between the BARO pressure and the boost pressure is more than 15 kPa for 6 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets-Federal
The control module stores the DTC information into memory when the diagnostic runs and fails.
The MIL will not illuminate.
The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Failure Records.
The driver information center, if equipped, may display a message.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets-California
The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
• The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

• A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.

• A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

• Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

This step tests the ability of the boost pressure sensor to correctly indicate barometric pressure.

This step tests the circuits and the controller output.

This step test the circuits and the controller output.

Step
Action
Values
Yes
No

Schematic Reference: Engine Controls Schematics

Connector End View Reference: Engine Control Module (ECM) Connector End Views or Engine Controls Connector End Views

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Observe and record the BARO parameter with a scan tool.
Compare the barometric pressure (BARO) value to the range specified in the altitude vs. barometric pressure table. Refer to Altitude vs Barometric Pressure .
Is the BARO parameter within the range specified?
--
Go to Step 3
Go to Step 7

Observe and record the Boost Pressure Sensor parameter with a scan tool.
Compare the Boost Pressure Sensor value to the range specified in the altitude vs. barometric pressure table. Refer to Altitude vs Barometric Pressure .
Is the Boost Pressure Sensor parameter within the range specified?
--
Go to Step 4
Go to Step 13

Connect a J 23738-A Mityvac to the BARO sensor port.
Observe the BARO parameter with a scan tool.
Apply vacuum with the J 23738-A until 10 inches Hg is reached.
Does the BARO parameter decrease?
--
Go to Step 5
Go to Step 24

Start the engine.
Operate the vehicle, at a consistent altitude, within the Conditions for Running the DTC.
Does the BARO parameter change more than the specified value?
15 kPa
Go to Step 7
Go to Step 6

Operate the vehicle, at a consistent altitude, within the Conditions for Running the DTC.
Observe the Boost Pressure Sensor parameter and the BARO parameter with a scan tool.
Is the difference between the Boost Pressure Sensor parameter and the BARO parameter more than the specified value?
15 kPa
Go to Step 13
Go to Intermittent Conditions

Test for an intermittent and for a poor connection at the BARO sensor connector. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?
--
Go to Step 27
Go to Step 8

Disconnect the BARO sensor.
Measure the amperage between the 5-volt reference circuit and the low reference circuit, at the BARO sensor connector, with a DMM.
Is the amperage more than the specified value?
170 mA
Go to Step 9
Go to Step 10

Connect a jumper wire between the 5-volt reference circuit and the BARO sensor signal circuit at the BARO sensor connector.
Is the pressure more than the specified value?
205 kPa
Go to Step 24
Go to Step 19

Test for an intermittent and for a poor connection at the engine control module (ECM). Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 27
Go to Step 11

Disconnect the ECM.
Measure the resistance of the 5-volt reference circuit between the BARO sensor and the ECM, with a DMM.
Is the resistance more than the specified value?
5 ohms
Go to Step 23
Go to Step 12

Measure the resistance of the low reference circuit between the BARO sensor and the ECM, with a DMM.

5 ohms
Go to Step 23
Go to Step 26

Test for an intermittent and for a poor connection at the boost pressure sensor connector. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 27
Go to Step 14

Disconnect the boost pressure sensor.
Measure the amperage between the 5-volt reference circuit and the low reference circuit, at the boost pressure sensor connector, with a DMM.
Is the amperage more than the specified value?
170 mA
Go to Step 15
Go to Step 16

Disconnect the ECM.
Measure the resistance of the boost pressure sensor signal circuit between the boost pressure sensor and the ECM, with a DMM.
5 ohms
Go to Step 23
Go to Step 20

Test for an intermittent and for a poor connection at the ECM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 27
Go to Step 17

Disconnect the ECM.
Measure the resistance of the 5-volt reference circuit between the boost pressure sensor and the ECM, with a DMM.
5 ohms
Go to Step 23
Go to Step 18

Measure the resistance of the low reference circuit between the boost pressure sensor and the ECM, with a DMM.

5 ohms
Go to Step 23
Go to Step 26

Test for an intermittent and for a poor connection at the ECM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
Go to Step 27
Go to Step 21

Connect the ECM.
Connect a 3-amp fused jumper wire between the 5-volt reference circuit of the boost sensor and the signal circuit of hte boost sensor.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Observe the Boost Pressure Sensor parameter with a scan tool.
Is the Boost Pressure Sensor parameter more than the specified value
254 kPa (36 PSI)
Go to Step 25
Go to Step 22

Disconnect the ECM.
Measure the resistance of the BARO sensor signal circuit between the BARO sensor and the ECM, with a DMM.
5 ohms
Go to Step 23
Go to Step 26

--
Go to Step 27
Go to Step 26

Repair the high resistance in the circuit. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?
--
Go to Step 27
--

Replace the BARO sensor. Refer to Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
--
Go to Step 27
--

Replace the boost pressure sensor. Refer to Boost Pressure Sensor Replacement .

--
Go to Step 27
--

Replace the ECM. Refer to Engine Control Module (ECM) Replacement .

--
Go to Step 27
--

Clear the DTCs with a scan tool.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
Start the engine.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.
Did the DTC fail this ignition?
Go to Step 2
Go to Step 28

Observe the Capture Info with a scan tool.

Are there any DTCs that have not been diagnosed?
--
Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List
System OK

808HOLLER
12-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanx For The Info. You Guys Are Great!!!

SmokeShow
12-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Try turning off the FASS for me...

duratothemax
12-10-2008, 07:48 PM
You really need a custom tune for bigger injectors to work properly on a duramax.

365-375psi is great compression, you have nothing to worry about.

ben