PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a 96 SD

BuckshotRam
12-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Im in the need of a dump truck...
Looking at a 96 F Super Duty has a nice 12' pto dump with removible sides tool boxes ect. 6 new tires 2nd owner bick mason. Says works too slow and he needs the $$$. Truck has 149k with a 5spd its the work truck roll up windows ect. Truck is in excellent condition well cared for not raged out very nice for its age. Its got a slight miss to it and seems like its down on power. Is it about time for a set of injectors??? Said it doesn't use oil and I couln't get it to blow any smoke black,white,blue ect. Just a tad of white/bluish cold start up smoke.

He wants 9500 for the truck but knows it isn't running 100% Would a set of injectors more than likely cure this problem. Clean 7.3's dump trucks with 5speeds aren't a dime a dozen anymore or atleast not in NC.

Also its geared at least 4:10 or lower had axle code 73 on door does anybody know what ratio it is.

Bobus
12-28-2008, 01:18 PM
My dad and I bought a '97 F-Super Duty with 66K miles a few years ago.. and after driving a '99-up Super Duty the '97 seems gutless. Ours Blows a bit of Blue when first started, as do my other Strokes so its nothing i'd worry about, though the slight miss could be a UVC Harness, a Injector getting weak, or a Cylinder with slightly lower compression than the rest.. You could always throw a chip in it to get a bit more power out of it..

I'd say 9500 is a pretty good deal, we paid 6700 for ours 3 years ago at a USFS Auction (Got it cheap cause it wouldn't start, the others sold for 15-18k)

Bruno2
01-06-2009, 09:16 PM
My 95 superduty has a 5:13 rear end ratio . The smoke could be glowplugs or maybe inj o rings . The front end is a commercial chasis with kingpins . Man this is one tough truck . The gross weight is like 16,000lbs .Four wheel disc brakes , it will stop a heavy load in short order . I think he is probably on the high side of book as far as pricing goes . My truck is way to far gone to rebuild it has about 400k on it . The zed f -5 tranny is probably one of the best standard trannies made . A fine piece of German engineering . If you like the truck and he will come down on his price to what you think you would like to buy it for then try to buy it .

Oh yeah it probably has the little drum style parking brake on the back of the tranny . These things have their own oil inside of them . you need to keep an eye on it when servicing the truck . I bought mine from a roof contractor that had it sitting in his warehouse . The parking brake ran dry and locked up . It shattered the bell housing on the tranny .

AMEC Electric
01-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Another vote for injector o-rings and new UVC harnesses to start.

BuckshotRam
01-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Well we ended up getting the truck for 7500. Its currently at a local guys shop that services 3 diff county psd ambulance. If the injectors are bad I think its getting 130cc beans diesel performance injectors.....5:13 gears are cool till 50mph then its all rmp:bang

Bruno2
01-11-2009, 07:25 AM
I was replying about the axle code : The axle code is the same as mine and Ford says its a 5:13 ratio . Mine has the z-f 5 and I think just under 70 mph is all it will do with the tach in the yellow .

On the upside of that I have hauled close to 20k lbs with that truck and it towed the line .

I am a Lath and Plaster contractor and that truck is my pulling horse . You can put 5-6k of sand right on the bed and still have plenty of clearance for the suspension to do its thing . In other words its not bottomed out . When I pick up cement I am usually hauling around 7600 lbs right on the flatbed . I have done that a lot like 50-60 times and I have never damaged the springs or axles .

I think you will be happy the truck .

Bobus
01-12-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm gonna guess that this is a 2wd, and not equiped with a Quigley 4wd setup? Ours has a posi or Somethin in the rear and the Quigley 4x4 setup. Its pretty sweet For towing Trailers full of Unpeeled Posts out of the woods With the Fronts chained and some knobby tires..An hauling equipment as long as your not in any hurry

Bruno2
01-13-2009, 07:31 PM
I think that was a good buy on the price .:clap: