PDA

View Full Version : What are you using to control your 47rh?

rs359
01-28-2009, 06:35 AM
All of the conversions with 47 rhs what do you use to control OD and lockup?

Diesel Dummy
01-29-2009, 07:32 PM
I use toggle switch's with mine, i haven't used it much since i got it together, but for the test runs around town it seemed to be ok, i will eventually go with the suncoast prologic controller to do so i dont have to hit the switchs all the time.

DD

turbojoe
01-30-2009, 12:25 PM
same here, im still wondering on what im gonna use too.

Joe

9 LIVES
01-31-2009, 08:13 PM
I use a flip swith for both OD & LU
I wouldn't mind one day swapping in a complete wiring harness and computer so this sucker will go into OD and lock the converter on its own.

rs359
02-02-2009, 12:53 PM
The trans shop we bought the parts from said we could use oil pressure switches. I installed the switches and it went into OD then lockup while I was in 2nd gear at about 20 miles an hour:doh:. The pressure is too low on the switches. I am still thinking about this method but adjustable switches like these.
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/water-injection-parts-3/adjustable-pressure-switch-1.html
The only drawback is they have to be mounted in a weather tight container.
I will hook up an oil pressure gauge when i get it back from the AC shop. to see what the pressures are at a given speed . If it were me driving it I would have run the switches and been done:hehe: If there is interest in this I will post my findings. Rich

Red Stroke
02-02-2009, 05:42 PM
TS controls OD and LU

rs359
02-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Whats a TS redstroke?

Red Stroke
02-02-2009, 07:02 PM
http://www.tsperformance.com/Converter_lockup.html

Only problem is it would be nice to have 2 setting one for DD and one for racing. They have a model that does OD and LU

dmaxvaz
02-02-2009, 07:34 PM
The trans shop we bought the parts from said we could use oil pressure switches. I installed the switches and it went into OD then lockup while I was in 2nd gear at about 20 miles an hour:doh:. The pressure is too low on the switches. I am still thinking about this method but adjustable switches like these.
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/water-injection-parts-3/adjustable-pressure-switch-1.html
The only drawback is they have to be mounted in a weather tight container.
I will hook up an oil pressure gauge when i get it back from the AC shop. to see what the pressures are at a given speed . If it were me driving it I would have run the switches and been done:hehe: If there is interest in this I will post my findings. Rich
the psi selection on those switches are less than the oil psi switches. which will make it go into od and lu even sooner

rs359
02-02-2009, 08:04 PM
the psi selection on those switches are less than the oil psi switches. which will make it go into od and lu even sooner

The oil pressure switches are no higher than 55psi the adjustable ones go up to 120psi Rich

dmaxvaz
02-03-2009, 08:40 AM
The oil pressure switches are no higher than 55psi the adjustable ones go up to 120psi Rich

if thats the case let me know how this works, my brother turbojoe has to flip switches all the time- its rather annoying to watch it.

DieselWrencher
02-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Here is what we used on my Dad's 91 Ford 12v with a 47rh. It worked very nice. We even hooked up a toggle switch in the OD circuit so it could be locked in as well. It's about half way down the page.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/SwapInformation.htm

rs359
02-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Thats what we are working on. Their switches did not work right They said this is because of a lower gear ratio. So we are working on higher pressure switches. Rich

Dazed&Confused
02-22-2009, 10:09 AM
I have the factory dodge wiring harness and PCM I will use if I'm able to run the 47rh in mine. Turbojoe did you have any issues with torsion bar crossmember being in the way of your case?

Diesel Dummy
02-25-2009, 05:46 AM
I have noticed with mine that i can leave od locked all the time and it will shift down on its own, it will shift back but it does it fast right after it shifts to 3rd gear. Seems to be fine for me.

rs359
03-12-2009, 05:48 PM
I used 2 toggle switches and installed an oil pressure gauge. Using a gps it seems to be at 90 psi at 45 mph so I ordered the pressure switches in the above link (post 5) and should have them soon.I think this will work next project will be the speedo. Rich

DieselWrencher
03-12-2009, 09:17 PM
If you are wanting to run a mechanical speedometer I think that same company sells a speedometer drive that has the input for a speedometer cable instead of a sensor. That is what we used on thi\e 91 F-350. I will post up a link when I find it because I need one too.

dmaxvaz
03-12-2009, 11:15 PM
I have the factory dodge wiring harness and PCM I will use if I'm able to run the 47rh in mine. Turbojoe did you have any issues with torsion bar crossmember being in the way of your case?

YES, WE HAD TO MAKE A CUSTOM CROSSMEMBER FOR IT, USING THE STOCK ONE, AND CUTTING OUT THE MIDDLE, BOXED IT AND MADE FLANGES TO BOLT THE CENTER (MOVED BACK)IN. PM ME YOU # AND I WILL SEND YOU A CELL PHONE PIC- BY THE WAY I AM TURBOJOE'S BRO THAT BUILT THAT CROSSMEMBER

rs359
03-13-2009, 01:51 PM
If you are wanting to run a mechanical speedometer I think that same company sells a speedometer drive that has the input for a speedometer cable instead of a sensor. That is what we used on thi\e 91 F-350. I will post up a link when I find it because I need one too.

Thanks Diesel Wrencher The plan is to use the factory speedo and use an adapter to change the dodge signal to a chevy one. I have the adapter I just need to find out the the wiring for the dodge sending unit. Rich

Dazed&Confused
03-14-2009, 11:52 AM
YES, WE HAD TO MAKE A CUSTOM CROSSMEMBER FOR IT, USING THE STOCK ONE, AND CUTTING OUT THE MIDDLE, BOXED IT AND MADE FLANGES TO BOLT THE CENTER (MOVED BACK)IN. PM ME YOU # AND I WILL SEND YOU A CELL PHONE PIC- BY THE WAY I AM TURBOJOE'S BRO THAT BUILT THAT CROSSMEMBER

My phone dont acept pics. I believe this engine combo will go in my Ford now and the 6.5 will go back into the burb and it will be sold.

dmaxvaz
03-14-2009, 02:57 PM
My phone dont acept pics. I believe this engine combo will go in my Ford now and the 6.5 will go back into the burb and it will be sold.
JEEZ, QUITTING THAT EASY?

Dazed&Confused
03-14-2009, 03:51 PM
JEEZ, QUITTING THAT EASY?

I still havent made up my mind yet. I'm trying to decide but cant get any awnsers from anyone who has done that until today when I saw your responses. I use to be able to send pics to my email with my old phone. If you can do that and post I would be greatful.

joefarmer
03-15-2009, 03:15 AM
What pinout do you need? Orange is +12v, black/blue tracer is ground and white/orange tracer is signal to the PCM.

rs359
03-16-2009, 08:19 PM
What pinout do you need? Orange is +12v, black/blue tracer is ground and white/orange tracer is signal to the PCM.

Thanks:thankyou2: This is for the Dodge not the Chevy Right Rich

joefarmer
03-16-2009, 11:40 PM
Yes, that is for a stock Dodge sensor.

rs359
03-29-2009, 06:39 AM
I got the switches in and will try and install them later this week hopefully. Everytime I get a chance to work on it something comes along that demands my attention elsewhere. I think I'll have lockup come in about 40 and OD at 50 for a base.
Dazed & Confused Dont give up I think Avalanche Engineering makes a cross member if you cant make one Rich

Dazed&Confused
03-29-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm not just waiting on money and parts now.

turbojoe
03-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Yes, that is for a stock Dodge sensor.

come on man, can't you make them for us chevy guys too:(. my tranny has no dodge speed sensors on it and i use the GM T-case one for the speedo/ABS.

Joe

rs359
03-29-2009, 08:21 PM
come on man, can't you make them for us chevy guys too:(. my tranny has no dodge speed sensors on it and i use the GM T-case one for the speedo/ABS.

Joe

What are you talking about? Making the Speedo work or controlling the trans?
I will be glad to try to help .

dmaxvaz
03-29-2009, 08:38 PM
What are you talking about? Making the Speedo work or controlling the trans?
I will be glad to try to help .what he is trying to say is that he used the gm tcase to make the speedo and abs to work, and would like to make the tranny shift into od and lock up without flipping switches and using the gm speed sensor

turbojoe
03-29-2009, 08:41 PM
i got the speedo and ABS down just trying to shift the tranny off the same sensor

Joe

rs359
03-29-2009, 08:54 PM
You can use the pressure switches in this post The pinout for the dodge sending unit was to make the speedo work. I hooked up toggle switches to test speeds but I also hooked up a oil pressure gauge to the rear port on the trans and the pressure constantly rises as the speed rises so I am hooking adjustable pressure switches to control lockup and OD. Rich

rs359
03-29-2009, 09:07 PM
I am hoping to hook them up Thurs and go for the first trial run.

joefarmer
03-29-2009, 10:23 PM
It should work with any 45 ohm sender. I'm guessing the GM sender works roughly the same way as the Dodge as it's open for part of the square wave and partially at 45ohms?

turbojoe
03-30-2009, 01:38 PM
You can use the pressure switches in this post The pinout for the dodge sending unit was to make the speedo work. I hooked up toggle switches to test speeds but I also hooked up a oil pressure gauge to the rear port on the trans and the pressure constantly rises as the speed rises so I am hooking adjustable pressure switches to control lockup and OD. Rich

yeah but how bout when put the pedal to the floor dont you want it to downshift at certain speeds and the oil press. switches cant do that. unless you keep the toggles too.

Joe

DieselWrencher
03-31-2009, 06:29 PM
yeah but how bout when put the pedal to the floor dont you want it to downshift at certain speeds and the oil press. switches cant do that. unless you keep the toggles too.

Joe

Maybe if you keep your toggles in the wiring and use them when you want to nail it you will be able to un lock it and or turn off OD. I think that is how we did the Ford but can't remember now.

rs359
04-01-2009, 10:55 AM

Joe

True it wont down shift but a speed sensor controlled one wont either unless it has a provision for a TPS . I dont think it would be that big of a deal if it does not downshift, unless you are towing. Once you are going fast enough to have it locked down in overdrive it should pull hard and have plenty to pass. I do plan on having an override for special circumstances .You could use a kick down switch for a th400 chevy to downshift.
I think the biggest drawback with this system is that it will shift at the same mph at light throttle pressure as well as WOT . Rich

Red Stroke
04-02-2009, 06:42 PM
I wouldnt think you would need it to down shift especially with the turbos you are running.

turbojoe
04-02-2009, 08:16 PM
True it wont down shift but a speed sensor controlled one wont either unless it has a provision for a TPS . I dont think it would be that big of a deal if it does not downshift, unless you are towing. Once you are going fast enough to have it locked down in overdrive it should pull hard and have plenty to pass. I do plan on having an override for special circumstances .You could use a kick down switch for a th400 chevy to downshift.
I think the biggest drawback with this system is that it will shift at the same mph at light throttle pressure as well as WOT . Rich
yeah thats gonna suck too unless joefarmer makes some inputs for TPS:D.

RAMROD
04-02-2009, 10:26 PM
I will be running the Suncoast standalone controller and valve body in a few weeks :evil

24VChevy
04-02-2009, 10:38 PM
I will be running the Suncoast standalone controller and valve body in a few weeks :evil

Is that the PCS controller and valve body? i got the same one for my truck. Will be trying to get it going soon also.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Malcolm

rs359
04-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Ok I got it hooked up and it works without toggles. It was a real PITA to get the switches set up and I still have some work to do .I will report more on its progress as I get it dialed in. So far I am real Happy with the Results.
It is not as good as the expensive controllers or standalone systems but it does work and for less than 100.00 dollars its a bargain .
Rich

RAMROD
04-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Is that the PCS controller and valve body? i got the same one for my truck. Will be trying to get it going soon also.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Malcolm

Can do... I have been working with Ron at Sun Coast and I have to say that they are top notch! Really good bunch of guys to work with. Jeff Garmon already got the valve body installed. Just waiting to get it and put it in the truck :evil

rs359
04-02-2009, 11:00 PM

My brother has the ATS one Its cool. He still has problems but He had issues with the truck before the standalone system. Rich

joefarmer
04-03-2009, 12:15 AM
[/B]
yeah thats gonna suck too unless joefarmer makes some inputs for TPS:D.
LOL I talked with Lyn through that situation tonight. I think the only way to do it is with a TPS signal. That would mean setpoints could follow a linear curve instead of always set at a certain MPH. It would also support kickdown.

rs359
04-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Ok Got a little more drive time in and it will downshift if it is in overdrive but not after lockup. I drove up a overpass and it downshifted from the increased engine load. Lockup seems to have an issue staying locked sometimes. So I need to hook back up the pressure gauge and make sure the pressure climbs after lockup. Rich