PDA

View Full Version : Tranny service?

jharvey
05-02-2006, 07:05 AM
What's the correct way to flush and fill the torqshift??

I'm being told by one dealer that they connect to the cooler lines and use the internal pump on the tranny to flush out and then refill and they DO NOT drop the pan.

Common sense tells me you would want to drop the pan to see how much metal has accumulated and to clean that out.

TIA

John

Bear Hunter
05-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Well...you can tell if there will be any debris in the pan by looking at the magnet when you drain it. If there is no debris and this is only your 30K service it is not necessary to drop the pan and change the internal filter. If there is debris on the magnet then yes the pan needs to be dropped and internals inspected...along with that the internal filter should be changed. Although service interval on the internal filter is not called for every 60K it is a good idea to drop the pan and replace it at that time even if there is no debris on the magnet.

Call the dealership and ask them what they would do if there was debris on the magnet during a 30K service. If they still don't drop the pan and inspect under those conditions...yes I would find another dealership.

You know if you get the tranny hot enough you can flush it yourself

http://www.truckblog.com/story-582-howto_flush_fords_torqueshift_transmission

jharvey
05-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks Bear Hunter, appreciate the link as well :bow:

Bear Hunter
05-02-2006, 02:45 PM
No problem

blackandstacked
05-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Be careful as the torqshift uses a special fluid. It uses mercon xp and it is not replaceable with any other fluid. The fluid machines most dealers use are very good units they get everything out of the trans. Iam a certified ford tech and i can say they work very well without having to drop the pan.

jharvey
05-05-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks blackandstacked

Dalpilot
05-05-2006, 09:06 AM
I had mine replaced, (the Tranny at 30K) you think I'm ok to go to 60, or should I go ahead and change it out at the 50K service?

I love the Avatar blackandstacked! Isn't that Tims Uncle?

Bear Hunter
05-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Actually it's MERCRON SP....not XP just FYI

Hey BlackandStacked... do you use the same flush machines on vehicles that do not use Mercron SP? Curious to see if they are cleaned out after each use or if there is residual mix of various tranny fluids each time its used.

UNBROKEN
05-05-2006, 03:23 PM
There's an additive they can add to the regular stuff to bring it up to SP specs when they use the flush machine thing on them.

ABout the internal filter...I have mine changed at every service...might as well since I'm doing the other stuff.

nummit
05-05-2006, 03:26 PM
There's an additive they can add to the regular stuff to bring it up to SP specs when they use the flush machine thing on them.

Do you know if this additive is ok with synthetics like Amsoil?

UNBROKEN
05-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Not a clue.

I had my first service done with one of those machines...they put the additive in and I never had an issue.

TheHammer69
05-05-2006, 04:06 PM

ABout the internal filter...I have mine changed at every service...might as well since I'm doing the other stuff.

I doubt there is an additive that LEGITIMATELY can turn regular Mercon or Mercon-V into Mercon-SP. The problem is, Mercon-Sp has more than frictional property changes. Which is what additves do to a certain fluid to turn it into another fluid.

Hammer

UNBROKEN
05-05-2006, 04:13 PM
All I know is that I put 30K on that service...and never had an issue....