PDA

View Full Version : No Bus...aka no gauges

getblown5.9
02-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Well I fired it up for the first time tonight but i have no gauges and the odometer window says No Bus.

I have the ECM, cam sensor and all other sensors plugged in except my old apps and VP44 plug.

The front of my truck is disassembled still meaning no radiator or IC, and i dont have the belt on the truck to turn the alternator. Is there a grounding problem somewhere maybe?

Any ideas from those who have gone before me and done this?

zstroken
02-16-2009, 09:55 PM
YOu need to make sure you have the PCM grounded. I think there is a wire on the passenger side that needs to be grounded. Also verify that the ECM is grounded.

roachie
02-16-2009, 10:01 PM
X2, check grounds.

dsl kicks gas
02-16-2009, 10:26 PM
same thing that i got with no ecm........i thought the gauges would work with out it

BluegrassDiesel
02-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Its a puller. Gauges are over rated LOL

getblown5.9
02-17-2009, 05:09 AM
I never went near the PCM on the firewall and the ECM i have bolted to the block in 3 places so it should be grounded.

Is there a seperate ground it that i may have removed and didnt realize?

jktcummins
02-17-2009, 10:02 AM
what year truck is yours????/ I need to pull my head out of my ass and p pump mine. WOuld actually make money verses keeping with the vp when i sell all my non needed vp crap .

zstroken
02-17-2009, 11:26 AM
I want to say the PCM uses a ground on the passenger side of the engine.

getblown5.9
02-17-2009, 11:47 AM
I want to say the PCM uses a ground on the passenger side of the engine.

I never touched the PCM during this build up...and I have had my passenger battery out of the truck for a year now. It was fine before the p-pump swap.

Edit: I did bend the big heavy gauge ground on the block down near the oil drain for the turbo...it was in my way and i bent it back a little, but not enough to break that heavy wire...

zstroken
02-17-2009, 02:32 PM
I forget which one requires it, but I think the PCM requires a ground, and the ground wire runs up around the engine somewhere. Maybe it was on the alternator or something. I forget. I do know that that missing a ground will cause a similar problem.

getblown5.9
02-17-2009, 05:08 PM
I forget which one requires it, but I think the PCM requires a ground, and the ground wire runs up around the engine somewhere. Maybe it was on the alternator or something. I forget. I do know that that missing a ground will cause a similar problem.

hmmm...ill double check them this weekend and see what i can find

dzlfarmboy
02-17-2009, 10:15 PM
There isn't a small wire with and eyelet that comes out of the harness by itself close to where the ECM is located, and is grounded to the block?

getblown5.9
02-17-2009, 10:18 PM
There isn't a small wire with and eyelet that comes out of the harness by itself close to where the ECM is located, and is grounded to the block?

i dont have one hooked up right now...i will get in there and look tomorrow night...i prolly removed it at some point and because its so small i forgot about it.

getblown5.9
02-18-2009, 10:38 PM
ok i got it now...it wasnt a ground.

I dont know how when or why, but I removed the fuse in the dash in slot 9 labeled Engine- 10A...i put a fuse in there when I saw it missing and presto chango I have gauges.