PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler

97strokeonit
03-08-2009, 12:02 PM
I was wondering If anyone could explain to me how an Intercooler works exactly as far as cooling the air, and IF anyone knew if I could just use the parts off of a newer truck with an intercooler and put them on my 97. Especially the manifold that brings together the turbo and intercooler and feeds into the motor:charger:

Cat992
03-15-2009, 11:56 PM
You could use an early 99 spyder and sd intercooler. The intercooler piping might be able to be modified to work, and you'd have to make custom mounts for the intercooler. IMO, you'd be better off getting a banks intercooler kit minus the intercooler and use the superduty intercooler. You should only have to trim an inch or so from the pipes to make it work, and the install looks cleaner imo. I think over on the nation they are having 1 last group buy on the kit before it becomes unavalable. I allready have mine and plan to do this mod. Will let you know how it works out.:evil:ft:

joelc79
05-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Any updates? Can these kits still be bought?

pontiacross
05-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Any updates? Can these kits still be bought?

contact dpppower.com he has been selling the heck out of the banks kits minus the cooler.

joelc79
05-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks, got a friend that has no sence! (powerchoke owner)

pontiacross
05-13-2009, 11:58 PM
I was wondering If anyone could explain to me how an Intercooler works exactly as far as cooling the air, and IF anyone knew if I could just use the parts off of a newer truck with an intercooler and put them on my 97. Especially the manifold that brings together the turbo and intercooler and feeds into the motor:charger:

as for how an intercooler works it is basically a radiator for your boost air.
when you compress air it heats up, when air heats up it expands. so when your turbo builds boost the air coming out of it can be a couple hundred degrees. cold air is drawn through the out side of the intercooler and cools the fins which intern cools the hot air on the inside. as the air cools it actually gets denser. so you can get more air in the engine. also the cooler the air going in the engine the cooler the air coming out so it helps with egts there too.