PDA

View Full Version : DMAX in a SUPERDUTY conversion

Jpscustoms
03-10-2009, 02:05 PM
now lets try to be serious here, no bashing. all im lookin for is good info on what it would take to put a dmax into a superduty. if i were to do it i would be using a manual trans so trans control wont be an issue, but it can be discussed. ALSO dont ask me why not a cummins, i already know all i need to know about that option....soo with that said, what do you guys think, what will i take to get a dmax to run and be able to monitor it in a superduty??

BlOwInCoAl
03-10-2009, 02:20 PM
My guess is all the wiring for the ecm/pcm, and a sh*t ton of work, but that would be sweet and original, keep us updated if you do it!

SmokeShow
03-10-2009, 02:25 PM
PPE can make short work of the engine wiring.

The rest is just fab work to make it fit and bolt in.

The interesting part would be making the SuperDuty dash/gauge cluster funtional. I'll assume it has it's own computer that receives readings from various sensors for the Powerstroke like most all modern vehicles. Dig up a wiring manual and start learning. You'd be golden if the voltage signals needed for the gauges matched what the GM sensors put out but I doubt you'd be that lucky for some of them. Therefore it'd take some electrical trickery to get the proper signal to the PS gauges so they understand and show the correct info.

May be easier to graph in a GM gauge cluster and go from there???

Good luck!!

BIGRPOWR
03-10-2009, 02:27 PM
it will be very difficult on the electrical side. i have considered this as well. once it works, it will be awesome. you may as well just drop a 6.4 in...eventually it will make just as much if not more power than the dmax.

SmokeShow
03-10-2009, 02:32 PM
you would also need the pedal assembly from a duramax truck for the drive-by-wire system unless the PS is also drive-by-wire and sends the same/proper signal from the PS TPS to the GM ECM.

C-ya

partsguy662
03-10-2009, 02:35 PM
I could be wrong, but I think this was being done a few years back..I don't remember exactly what happened with it though. It seems to me Merchant was doing the job.

haloman
03-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Unless you have alot of time/money I dont think it will be worth it. Any reason for the swap? Do you want 1000hp on fuel or something the powerstroke cant do?

Jpscustoms
03-10-2009, 02:44 PM
i got a 6.0 and its been nothing but problems, just lookin for more reliable power, figured id throw this idea out there and see were it goes, i know it will take time and money but so has this 6.0 and so will the 5.9 if i go that route.

Jpscustoms
03-10-2009, 02:47 PM
the ps pedal is by wire, i think i could just use the ford sensors in the dmax for monitoring, if ppe make a stand alone ecm then that will make things alot less complicated

figueroa530
03-10-2009, 03:49 PM
I think that would be badass with a dmax in it!

figueroa530
03-10-2009, 03:49 PM
What dmax motor would you do?

Jpscustoms
03-10-2009, 03:54 PM
right now i can get a 03 donor truck for 3000, it was totaled and has 100k on it.....

house
03-10-2009, 04:00 PM
PM smokinrod him and merchant tried, it was a royal pita and plug was pulled

SmokeShow
03-10-2009, 04:14 PM
theres gonna be big difference in doing this for a street truck versus doing this for a competition only/play truck.

it won't be overly difficult to get it to run in the PS with the PPE harness. What may be more difficult is the monitoring part you mentioned in the original post. It will likely be a nightmare to get the Ford PS gauges to jive with the GM sensors. Could be wrong but I'd be surprised if they talk the same language.

Even with the PS being drive-by-wire, you'll have to be sure the output of the PS TPS sensor is the same signal that the GM needs to read and interpret it correctly so the ECM works. For instance, lets say the GM thinks 3volts is equal to 80% throttle position. If the PS sensor is registering 3 volts at something other than 80% throttle position there's gonna have to be some electrical trickery between the PS sensor and the GM ECM so that the signal is converted correctly to the appropriate value for the GM ECM.

Clear as mud?

Yes, at one point Eric was gonna attempt this for a pulling truck but back then, the wiring would have been a nightmare without a modified harness. Not as much now with the availability of the modified harnesses. I'd say he could tackle a project like this.

I mean, the duramax has been transplanted very successfully into several different platforms - air boat (Tony Burkhardt is your man here), 70s model GM trucks (PPE did one for SEMA and the Orange Crush), chevelle, Nova, buick grand nationals, H1 and H2 Hummers, late model Suburbans, 80s model GM trucks, drag racing rails, sled pulling tube chassis, off-shore racing boats, a Ford Mustang and who knows what else. It's certainly do-able.

Just gonna take some serious time and effort to make it a nice street vehicle. A competition vehicle would be easier as far as gauges goes IMO.

C-ya

Jpscustoms
03-10-2009, 04:19 PM
i think i would use the ford sensors for the gauges, might to to modify the ports or lengthn wire put it think that be easyr, and id use the gm pedal just to make sure it got the right signal....i know i can do it, just dont know if i for sure want to or not, just throwing around the idea and gettin info

BIGRPOWR
03-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Do you want 1000hp on fuel or something the powerstroke cant do?

dont think the 6.4 is too far off from accomplishing this. the 6.4 injectors will eat the dmax injectors. just need the pump setup, and some nozzles...and a couple bigger turbo's...
go for a 6.4 ..why would you put a jap motor into an american truck anyhow?

Jpscustoms
03-10-2009, 04:30 PM
i been thinkn bout the 6.4 too but lets keep this bout the dmax

custom8726
03-10-2009, 05:09 PM
If you decide against it, would you mind passing the sellers info on to me as I am in the market for a donor D-Max. Thanks... With that said, I think its definetly do-able with some patients and basic mechanical knowledge. The fact that you can get the whole truck will make the job way eaiser. I would also agree with using the Duramax cluster it will save a ton of headaches and with a little enginuity it could be made to look (Almost) Factory...

Bobus
03-10-2009, 07:16 PM
I had this thought a few months ago.. I got a '01 Dmax when I did a engine swap.. but i got negative feedback on the idea

turbojoe
03-11-2009, 07:00 PM
i would definitly do it with the 03 dmax cuz there is no egr/vgt garbage you have the worry about. and think of all the possibilities with EFIlive:evil and if i were to do it again i would have went with the japcrap:hehe:

Joe

ride42
03-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Keep trying for the Dmax. It would be really cool and something different.

rs359
03-12-2009, 02:27 PM
I say DO IT... But the hardest part would be combining the 2 wiring harnesses. It might be easier to gut the ford cab and engine bay and install all gm wiring dash ect. Rich

707-7.3
03-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Why not use all after market gauges and make a new cluster? Wouldn't be the cheapest route but might be quicker and easier in the long run. If done right it would look damn good too.

dmaxvaz
03-31-2009, 04:15 PM
just put the oil, water temp, and boost sensor from the 6.0. you would do the same thing if you put a 5.9 cummins in it. oh, for the coolant temp; i would adapt both dmax and 6.0 for the cluster to work, and for the dmax ecm to work properly

Jpscustoms
03-31-2009, 04:25 PM
going with the 12v or common rail guys, but atleast we got info if anyone were ever to wana to it

jfaulkner
03-31-2009, 04:56 PM
why would you put a jap motor into an american truck anyhow?
Um.....last time I checked Moraine Ohio was in America. :poke:

going with the 12v or common rail guys, but atleast we got info if anyone were ever to wana to it
The CR only needs like 3 wires to run so their not too bad. Kyle03d put a CR cummins in his 03 chevy as a toy. I don't think it was too hard even with the senors. Assuming the Ford isn't too much different in the way the gauges read it is probably similar (like 5v reference ect.).

redrockey06lbz
09-14-2009, 11:06 PM
Yeah go with a dmax motor it will be sick! I wouldn't consider a 6.4 seems like it will be a re run of a 6.0

displacedtexan
09-14-2009, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't consider a 6.4 seems like it will be a re run of a 6.0You base that on what?

'Powerstroke7.3
09-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Yeah go with a dmax motor it will be sick! I wouldn't consider a 6.4 seems like it will be a re run of a 6.0

LOL :umno:

LReiff
09-15-2009, 09:36 PM

WOW some kind of a lost thread resurrection! LOL