PDA

View Full Version : egr unplug

themighty6.7
03-15-2009, 10:42 AM
I just unpluged my egr and was wondering what the pluses are on getting a block-off plate. With it un pluged will it still put soot back into the intake.

thanks,
Dayton

Btw, My girlfriens dad has an '08 6.7L, if he unplugs it, will he always though a code or will it go off after a while.

thanks,
Dayton

themighty6.7
03-15-2009, 08:57 PM
anyone

leatonl
03-15-2009, 09:16 PM
with the egr unplug it will still be pushed open under pressure. the check engine light will always be on with the egr unpluged.

SlowCummin
03-16-2009, 08:32 AM
with the egr unplug it will still be pushed open under pressure. the check engine light will always be on with the egr unpluged.

The CEL will not come on with tuners that allow for EGR unplugs, but I definitely agree pressure can possibly push the valve open.

Block off is definitely the way to go. Mine is currently only unplugged and with XRT tuner no CEL for EGR. I will however be making block off plates soon.

Polaraco
03-31-2009, 09:21 PM
By just unplugging the EGR, the exhaust pressure is not great enough to push the EGR open unless it has bad springs. There was a TSP on some that required claning the EGR valve because of leakage. But it's OK if it leaks. The combination of the intake pressure and the springs will keep it tight agains the exhaust pressure which is about 40 PSI.

If you want to make it look stock and not make any visable mods. . .do this.

*Get a Dorman Freeze plug # 555-020
*Drill a 5/16 hole in the plug and mount a shoulder bolt with a nut run up the to the shoulder and mount in the hole. Put another nut on and tighten. Either double nut it or spot weld it so it doesn't fall out.
*remove the cross over tube and tap the freeze plug in the tube so the edge is flush.
*reinstall the tube.

The bolt is there so you can take it out if you have too.

Done

There will be no condensation build up in the valve.

You can also simply unplug the flapper valve as well. It's a good idea you do. The plug is on the back side of the flapper assembly on the engine side.