PDA

View Full Version : Strange F/P

haz-mat19
12-09-2006, 08:26 AM
I was having kind of strange f/p readings, I though the filter was clogged. I got a bunch of crude from the water separator. I changed the filter yesterday and now it pulls down to 12 psi. I have never pulled it past 15 before. Any ideas. If it pulls down that bad now, then the new tips are not going to be good. WTF:doh: . It also sound like the truck is struggling. No codes I checked.:thankyou2:

haz-mat19
12-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Nothing?

Wyatt Earp
12-10-2006, 11:26 AM
What FASS are you running? 150/150 or something smaller? Also, how big of stick tips did you get? Further, what setting is the EDGE at when this is going on?

I'd click it back to as stock as possible and test it. If pressure is dropping there then something is worth looking into. Further still, runnning a HUGE dose of some injector cleaner and fuel lube may correct this sitution.

How often do you change out the filters? What micro level are you using? Where did you buy the fuel? All questions that need answers before someone can really figure out what is up.

Let us know.

Cheers

haz-mat19
12-10-2006, 02:32 PM
I have a 95/150 pump.
I run on 3x3 all the time, it just started happening so the setting shouldn't be it. I ordered stage three tips form edge, not in yet.

I get my fuel from the same place all the time, it is a truck stop.

I just changed my filter, don't know the micron, they are FF1010's.
When I changed the filter I filled the filter up half way with power service.

These are all that I know. Hope this all helps. Thanks

Wyatt Earp
12-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Everything you've done is what I would have said except it still could be the setting. The reason I say that is because the extra little power over time could (not likely but possible) could cause problems with the VP44. If you had the FASS on there before the EDGE than that is likely not it.

Someone else will hopefully know something. I'm stumped. Sorry.

haz-mat19
12-10-2006, 06:27 PM
:thankyou2: Anyways.

Moose
12-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Have you checked your FP with another gauge to make sure that the first one is reading correctly??..Just a thought but I have had this problem my self....

Moose

haz-mat19
12-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Yah I have been thinking about trying that, thanks

MD-LUCKY
12-10-2006, 09:40 PM
http://www.vulcanperformance.com/servlet/the-125/Vulcan-%3Ci%3EDraw-Straw%3C-fdsh-i%3E%E2%84%A2/Detail

Have you taken care of this choke hold?

If you had a bunch of "crud" in the water seperator, there is a good chance you could have the same crud in the tank.

I have heard that you can actually over-work a 150gph FASS if you run it without a draw-straw.. Might not make a huge difference in the over-all life of the truck, but it could be enough to consider.

Billysgoat
12-10-2006, 09:45 PM
When nothing outward changes and the reading changes it's always a good idea to backcheck your instruments. Is your gauge mechanical or electrical Haz??? I can't remember :bang If it's mechanical I would be inclined to think you are seeing what you think you are seeing, if it's electrical it could be a bad sending unit.

You say the truck is struggling at times, have you pulled the supply fitting (where I assume the gauge gets it's reading) to make certain there is not some kind of line blockage???

haz-mat19
12-11-2006, 04:41 AM
It is a westech, so I was thinking about getting a new sending unit. I am also going to clean out t he water separator really good today at work. Thanks fellas

Timbeaux
12-11-2006, 08:56 AM
Thosw Westach sending units are known for crapping out. You may want to stick a mechanical one on to check it out

Burner
12-11-2006, 09:06 AM
What about just (reverse) blowing the lines? Could you have a short or draw in the system causing the liftpump to die? Is it possible that the pick-up is sticking to the tank? ......just Ideas. :confused:

haz-mat19
12-11-2006, 03:51 PM
I don't know about the pick up tube, I just can't see why it would work perfect and all of a sudden start to mess up:( :confused: . I don't know. I am going to get a new sending unit and put it in this week if I get some time. I will let you guys know:thankyou2:

Billysgoat
12-11-2006, 08:49 PM
If the sending unit was sticking to the bottom of the tank you would see 3-4psi.

Generally when a Westach sending unit goes funky so does the readings, as in all over the place. The needle will bounce around like a ferret on a sugar high, leastways, they did it on the two I have replaced :bang

I'm thinking more and more that you have a stopped up intake filter on the sending unit. Don't worry, dropping the tank on these trucks is really easy, espicially with the FASS since you can empty the tank first :D