PDA

View Full Version : Newbie subforum for Dodge Competition & Performance!

Hurley
04-21-2009, 07:42 PM
I have noticed the continual waves of new users coming in, posting the same threads, getting the same answers, etc. It's hard to sift through that when reading for the more technical based discussion and diagnosis. I'm no know-it-all, but I find the continual lack of "search first, post second" disturbing and annoying.

So, why not create a "newbie tech" or equivalent forum to run parallel with the 24V p-pumped forum? post a few stickies on the usual mods for the various generation trucks, and let 'er rip! I would bet heavily that it would be utilized well.

displacedtexan
04-21-2009, 10:41 PM
I agree it is a good idea.

It seems to go against the way things here are now, but for the site to keep growing it may have to have more newbie stuff.

But would it still be the same Comp with all the newbie tech?

Timbeaux
04-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Not a bad Idea. Perhaps we could open the forum up and move threads as needed?

partsguy662
04-21-2009, 10:44 PM
A simple suggestion would be for the newbie to give the ol' seach function a whirl instead of making a new thread about something that's been hashed over a few dozen times.

Crazy idea, I realize.

Timbeaux
04-21-2009, 10:45 PM
You have way too much faith in the newbs Scott LOL

partsguy662
04-21-2009, 10:46 PM
I just use a bit of logic every now and then. Call it a weakness.

Timbeaux
04-21-2009, 10:50 PM
LOL Awesome.

BluegrassDiesel
04-21-2009, 11:25 PM
The "advanced search" option can really help narrow it down. I usually have no problem finding what I need when searching.

I think the Newbie tech forum would be a good idea also.

displacedtexan
04-21-2009, 11:33 PM
IMHO Scott is right...

(Did I just say that?)

I can see the need, but if people would search it would answer the basic questions.

But if Comp is gonna do basic tech I'd rather see a subforum. Maybe one for each of the big 3, just a basic tech section for the new guys that don't want to join the mouth breathers on some of the other forums...

Hurley
04-22-2009, 06:47 AM
^that's a better idea, "basic tech"

Amish Elegance
04-22-2009, 07:31 AM
The only problem with throwing all the newbs in one area with a box of cheerios and some graham crackers and expecting them to stay in the shallow end is that many are self proclaimed experts from post zero.

To continue the analogy: I don't feel like playing life guard and hefting aspirating snot-nosed fat kids back to the shallow end and installing arm floaties and tethers. Especially when they go kicking and screaming insisting their girth is buoyant.

"But I'm not a noob!"

Question: If they're not smart enough to search first, do you think they're smart enough to post in a "special" place?

This is not a forum for mudflap discussions or technical instruction on how to program your Homelink. We got no place for bug deflector install guides or fuel catalyst pinto mag junkies. The interweb has plenty of those already.

Unless its a new product or you're having trouble with it, chances are folks here have already rendered multiple opinions on the flipper-chipper you're contemplating.

There is a balance between cultivating new competition enthusiasts with a base 3 digit IQ, and performing mental CPR on folks who shouldn't be here in the first place. Our recent growth has provided us with candidates in both categories. In droves. Perhaps those that fall into the latter would benefit from a drafted smack to the foo-berry melon; the former should be sternly reminded of the search function.

Help us help you.

Yeah, I know... "Amish woke up on the wrong side of the haymow."

Hurley
04-22-2009, 08:03 AM
This is not a forum for mudflap discussions or technical instruction on how to program your Homelink. We got no place for bug deflector install guides or fuel catalyst pinto mag junkies. The interweb has plenty of those already.

well, right. Maybe I am off base a little bit here, but I have seen it work on other forums. This isnt a matter of members contributing to the greater knowledge of the diesel community - it seems you are taking it this way, Amish - but a matter of separate topics and discussions. It would not be a detriment to CompD, and is no different to me than the 24V P-pumped forum, as I have already mentioned.

I'm not going to press the issue, I just figured it would be worth the suggestion.

displacedtexan
04-22-2009, 08:04 AM
The only problem with throwing all the newbs in one area with a box of cheerios and some graham crackers and expecting them to stay in the shallow end is that many are self proclaimed experts from post zero.

To continue the analogy: I don't feel like playing life guard and hefting aspirating snot-nosed fat kids back to the shallow end and installing arm floaties and tethers. Especially when they go kicking and screaming insisting their girth is buoyant.

"But I'm not a noob!"

Question: If they're not smart enough to search first, do you think they're smart enough to post in a "special" place?

Unless its a new product or you're having trouble with it, chances are folks here have already rendered multiple opinions on the flipper-chipper you're contemplating.

There is a balance between cultivating new competition enthusiasts with a base 3 digit IQ, and performing mental CPR on folks who shouldn't be here in the first place. Our recent growth has provided us with candidates in both categories. In droves. Perhaps those that fall into the latter would benefit from a drafted smack to the foo-berry melon; the former should be sternly reminded of the search function.

Help us help you.

Yeah, I know... "Amish woke up on the wrong side of the haymow."Wrong side or not your post was exactly what I had been trying to express. Why am I not surprised you did it more elegantly?

And not to HJ, but where do I post the 38 page writeup I did with pictures of my nerf bar install?:hehe:

Amish Elegance
04-22-2009, 08:15 AM
well, right. Maybe I am off base a little bit here, but I have seen it work on other forums. This isnt a matter of members contributing to the greater knowledge of the diesel community - it seems you are taking it this way, Amish - but a matter of separate topics and discussions. It would not be a detriment to CompD, and is no different to me than the 24V P-pumped forum, as I have already mentioned.

I'm not going to press the issue, I just figured it would be worth the suggestion.

Here's the trouble... Define what specific topics go in a Newbie Subforum? I got the P-pump 24 valve contents figured out.

Also, don't mistake my blunt opinion for focused hatred in your direction. That's much worse, trust me. LOL I'm not trying to silence you and your idea, just convey my opinion on the matter.

4x4dually
04-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Well, I'll tell ya. The seach function is great and all, but most of the time I use it, it is like teats on a bull mouse....worthless. You could start a noob spot and just put one sticky thread at the top. Thread title could be "How to Use the Search Function" and put instructions or something. Heck with that, make it a sticky on every page. I'm sure some veterans could use a tune-up also. Hell, sometimes I can't find a thread when I know key words and the thread stater. Advanced mode does help but I get frustrated sometime and just give up on it.

displacedtexan
04-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Jory! Back to the newbie tech section!

And like Amish said, once you figure out what goes in that area, who wants to wade in to play lifeguard?

And IMHO there are some fairly significant differences between CompD and the other forums that are heavy on the newbie tech. And that is why a lot of us are here.

Snedge
04-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Hmmmm.....

Amish Elegance
04-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks, Snedge, for that thought provoking grunt of a contribution. I'll marinate on it. :hehe:

Jory, Search is to Yahoo as Advanced Search is to Google. I never use Yahoo.

Snedge
04-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks, Snedge, for that thought provoking grunt of a contribution. I'll marinate on it. :hehe:

Jory, Search is to Yahoo as Advanced Search is to Google. I never use Yahoo.

Sure. I could extrapolate, but to me, the grunt seemed sufficient.

displacedtexan
04-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Speaking of, is there a way to have Google search for the site?

It seems like I've seen something like that somewhere...

4x4dually
04-22-2009, 08:36 AM

Grunt? That cracks me up. I remember as a little kid staying the night with my grandparents. Grandpa would always ask me before we went to bed if I needed to "take a grunt" first. :hehe: Wow. Memories. Thanks for that. :D

haloman
04-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Speaking of, is there a way to have Google search for the site?

It seems like I've seen something like that somewhere...

DTR has google site search built-in, it works quite well actually.

displacedtexan
04-22-2009, 08:45 AM
I knew I'd seen it somewhere!

Is it a plug in to the VB software or what?

4x4dually
04-22-2009, 08:46 AM

Can you un-ban me so I can see it? :hehe:

haloman
04-22-2009, 08:49 AM

Is it a plug in to the VB software or what?

I am fairly sure it is an add-on to the software.

haloman
04-22-2009, 08:50 AM

Oh geez, dont start it Jory. I was just posting to help not stir up. Simmer down.

4x4dually
04-22-2009, 09:16 AM
:hehe: No worries Dan..no worries. :D

Hurley
04-22-2009, 10:54 AM
And like Amish said, once you figure out what goes in that area, who wants to wade in to play lifeguard?

Who said anyone has to play lifeguard?

If we have a good thing going, then so be it... maybe a reiteration of some guidelines or a new sticky would suffice

Also, don't mistake my blunt opinion for focused hatred in your direction. That's much worse, trust me. I'm not trying to silence you and your idea, just convey my opinion on the matter.

No offense taken, that's why we come together.

RascalMafia
04-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Who will determine what is n00b tech from real tech? That could be the problem.
I still propose the "can't post until you pass a 15 answer quiz", with 8 seconds to answer each question, so answers couldn't be looked up during the test. The questions won't be the same, you get two attempts to pass it. In that quiz there will be questions on how to use the search feature. I will even help write them.

Amish Elegance
04-22-2009, 11:19 AM

In part, the big man in Red with his efforts to appease the masses.

See Bold:
Not a bad Idea. Perhaps we could open the forum up and move threads as needed?

That part implies, "Amish, grab your red shorts. There's tards at the bottom of the pool and you need to save them from themselves." I want no part of that.

I'd rather have you guys brow-beat them for jumping in the wrong end. :hehe:

No offense taken, that's why we come together.

Good. Your comment about not pushing the issue appeared as though I was overly affective at quelling dialogue related to your inquiry. That was not my intent.

zstroken
04-22-2009, 11:20 AM

how did you get banned? I am not banned, just can't post or PM! LOL

haloman
04-22-2009, 11:25 AM
how did you get banned? I am not banned, just can't post or PM! LOL

Thats called Muted. This is not the thread to get into banning stories. You can use the same thing for this site if you know how to use the google.com search. site: www.competitiondiesel.com

displacedtexan
04-22-2009, 02:14 PM

If we have a good thing going, then so be it... maybe a reiteration of some guidelines or a new sticky would suffice

No offense taken, that's why we come together.All the n00bs won't be able to answer each others basic tech questions, so they'd wade back to the deep end and need someone to rescue them...In part, the big man in Red with his efforts to appease the masses.

See Bold:

That part implies, "Amish, grab your red shorts. There's tards at the bottom of the pool and you need to save them from themselves." I want no part of that.

I'd rather have you guys brow-beat them for jumping in the wrong end. :hehe:
Sounds like Amish is volunteering to play lifeguard and kindergarten teacher to me!

Who will determine what is n00b tech from real tech? That could be the problem.
I still propose the "can't post until you pass a 15 answer quiz", with 8 seconds to answer each question, so answers couldn't be looked up during the test. The questions won't be the same, you get two attempts to pass it. In that quiz there will be questions on how to use the search feature. I will even help write them.I like Roy's idea!

wideopen
04-22-2009, 02:17 PM

I guess I have more things to add to my to-do list.

haloman
04-22-2009, 02:21 PM

No problem, always glad to help keep ya busy. LOL

RascalMafia
04-22-2009, 02:28 PM
All the n00bs won't be able to answer each others basic tech questions, so they'd wade back to the deep end and need someone to rescue them...
Sounds like Amish is volunteering to play lifeguard and kindergarten teacher to me!

I like Roy's idea!

What a coincedence...Wade and n00b in the same sentence LOL

Snedge
04-22-2009, 02:33 PM

Like my demographic??? :hehe:

Snedge
04-24-2009, 12:06 PM
You wanna kill a thread? Type the word demographic. It works I tell ya.:hehe:

97 D-Tec
04-26-2009, 09:23 AM
i 2nd hurlys motion

displacedtexan
04-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Demographic:hehe:

Signal 73
04-27-2009, 03:17 PM
so anyway how do you hook up a smoke switch on a 24 valve?:drool1:

displacedtexan
04-27-2009, 03:43 PM
so anyway how do you hook up a smoke switch on a 24 valve?:drool1:That isn't newbie tech! That is some hardcore extreme modding right there!:hehe:

Scooter's Roofing
04-27-2009, 04:44 PM
on my home forum we just haze and berate newbies for not searching... people catch on quick or they move on to a tamer forum :D

Timbeaux
04-27-2009, 04:59 PM
on my home forum we just haze and berate newbies for not searching... people catch on quick or they move on to a tamer forum :D

I like this Idea. I prefer to call it berating instead of hazing though.

Sorry I was posting as a nicer version of myself earlier in the thread. I would just as soon ban retards for asking smoke switch questions here. Comp D is not for newbie tech........... There are plenty of other sites where you can be a god for cracking 400 Hp..... this is not one of them.

Hurley
04-27-2009, 05:09 PM
There are plenty of other sites where you can be a god for cracking 400 Hp

...what about with a 4bt?:D

roachie
04-27-2009, 05:19 PM
The RSX forum I half ass visit sometimes has this:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=461822

It requires a team effort though. You cant start new threads if you have under 2 posts i think

Scooter's Roofing
04-27-2009, 05:43 PM
I like this Idea. I prefer to call it berating instead of hazing though.

Sorry I was posting as a nicer version of myself earlier in the thread. I would just as soon ban retards for asking smoke switch questions here. Comp D is not for newbie tech........... There are plenty of other sites where you can be a god for cracking 400 Hp..... this is not one of them.

that's why this is the best diesel site on the net!!! If curse words were allowed, I'd call it internet heaven

displacedtexan
04-27-2009, 07:37 PM
that's why this is the best diesel site on the net!!! If curse words were allowed, I'd call it internet heavenAgreed. Although I don't care that we can't cuss.

RascalMafia
04-27-2009, 07:39 PM
The RSX forum I half ass visit sometimes has this:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=461822

It requires a team effort though. You cant start new threads if you have under 2 posts i think

25 would be a better number for here.

displacedtexan
04-27-2009, 07:49 PM
25 would be a better number for here.

Or just make em pass a test.

RascalMafia
04-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Or just make em pass a test.

You know I agree.

roachie
04-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Who is gonna make the test?

Amish Elegance
04-28-2009, 04:07 PM
If we take that idea, any test will be retroactive for current members at their next login. Some of you should be very, very afraid. :hehe:

RascalMafia
04-28-2009, 04:08 PM
I'll volunteer my time.

At least I know I can pass LOL

displacedtexan
04-28-2009, 04:15 PM
I'll help make it.

Gotta pass it somehowLOL