Codes 0215 and 1689!!! PLEASE HELP

Wyatt Earp

Owner / Diesel Geek
Hi guys,

My truck is giving me grief today. My FP gauge is registering NO pressure (today it slowly dropped from 15 to 10, then to 6 and then to 3 and now 0), my FASS 150/150 is still working and still supplying fuel to the truck as it still runs BUT I checked for codes, after getting 2 new batteries this week and now I have these 2 codes.

0215: Injector Pump Control Circuit
1689: No Communication Between ECM and Injection Pump Module

Does this mean that the IP is dead in the water or is it just the RELAY in the PDC that needs to be changed out? When the truck wouldn't start (with the old batteries) I got a CEL or MIL on the dash I never bothered to check at that point as I just figured it was the batteries. I've got about 4,000 km left on my 150,000 km engine warranty but the months have expired.

I NEED HELP.

Have you double checked your FP to make sure you have good pressure?? Just because the FASS is running and the truck runs does not mean the FASS is supplying good pressure. My truck would run with a LP producing 0psi, no codes though.

Beyond that I just don't know, never ran across those codes before.

It's been checked but their is always a chance that it is something else. I thought at first it was the isolator on the FP gauge. There are no leaks, the system is still intact and is void of any strange stuff. I hear the FASS kick on with it's loud wert noise - nothing unusual there. But this does make me think that this is or could be dead as well as the pressure is reading from a mechanical gauge pre VP and post FF. That said, if it was dead you'd think I'd see the dreaded 0216 code and not these other 2.

I'll be checking the FP for real with another mechanical gauge tomorrow and we'll see if this is something more serious. What is weird are those strange codes - I've not seen these ones before and I had the MIL come up when I was attempting to get the truck running on the old "dead" batteries and didn't think anything of it.

My educated guess is that the VP is dead again (or the module and or relay is dying) and the FASS is sending lots of fuel which makes the VP not have to work so hard to make it run. If it is the FASS unit I'll be in contact with Dan tomorrow and get another one sent this way ASAP for the weekend.

Thank god for the gauges on the pillar because I'd never have known there was a problem!

Last edited:
not trying to sadden ur day whyatt but P1689
No Communication Between ECM & Injection Pump Module
an P0216
Fuel Injection Pump Timing Failure are 2 of the codes my truck had logged when my vp was dead i mean dead
lol my holley was a pumping but i added it a bit to late to save the vp

The VP is electronic, electronic things do weird stuff LOL

It sounds to me like the FASS or the gauge one is faulty, check with a known good gauge on both sides of the filter if possible. It's all a process of elimination, hopefully your IP is not what it's eliminated down to :bang

Identified and nearly fixed. The codes came up as a result of the dead batteries. The new batteries give me the juice I need but as a result something has happened to the ISSPRO FP gauge in the cab. Using another gauge I saw 16 at idle and with this one it isn't working. I'll be taking it apart this weekend and bleeding it.

Cheers

i had 215 and 1689 when my VP44 suffered an electronic death due to the drag comp. it would run fine on stock levels...but turn up the comp and the electronics went haywire and it missed and made all kinds of noises

Back