sleeveing (sp)

For 5.9 Cummins have special sleeves.

I have one set ,if you need pn or picture I can send it .

With sleeves you have to use standard pistons.

Thank you.:Cheer:

What do you think a cost to cut and press the sleves in would be? If you had the block out, how much would it cost to cut, purchase and press the sleves in the block.

About $438 for cutting, purchasing and sleeving 2 holes. You do not have to use standard pistons for sleeves, you can run oversize.

brnaodn.

This info is from Cummins repair manual:

If more than 1.0 mm (0.03937in) diameter oversize bore is required, the block must be rebored and a repair sleeve installed.
The sleev bore must be refinished after installation to a 102.020+/- 0.020 mm diameter.
A standard diameter piston and a service piston ring set must be used.

Repair sleev part number ; 3904166

:poke:

AsTroSS said:
This info is from Cummins repair manual:

If more than 1.0 mm (0.03937in) diameter oversize bore is required, the block must be rebored and a repair sleeve installed.
The sleev bore must be refinished after installation to a 102.020+/- 0.020 mm diameter.
A standard diameter piston and a service piston ring set must be used.

Repair sleev part number ; 3904166

:poke:

This is true, but you can also bore and hone the sleeve after it is installed. Another .50 mm is fine.

IRC the Cummins can be sleeved, the 7.3 cannot, the 6.0 cannot and not certain on the Dmax, but I would guess it would not be sleeveable.

The 7.3 and 6.0 are both considered "throwaway" motors, bore once and then chunk the block, leastways, that is what Ford reccomends.

I would guess that they can all be sleeved... For my old 6.5 it costs $80 a hole for labor and the sleeve. The only reason the others couldn't be done is if the cyl wall is to thin. I would think that isn't the case though.

When Todd (blackandstacked) worked for the local Ford dealer as a diesel tech he was told that the 7.3 block was not a sleeveable block, if the motor required it you could bore it .030 (I think) one time, after that the block was to be considered junk and scrapped. Now that was according to Ford who wants to sell shortblocks, what you can do aftermarket might be a different story.

Back