PDA

View Full Version : Trivia

97strokeonit
05-19-2009, 03:23 PM
I have a couple questions.

1. Why does my truck make a really bad noise when it gets cold out (40 and below) like the turbo isnt spinning and it sounds like your dragging something like kcshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hh untill i gun it then i can hear my turbo whistle a bit but as soon as the RPM's catch up you can hear it again. I can feel it in the throttle and it seems really slugish like its struggling to go. Sounds like **** and piss me off.:charger:

2. What do i need for a bigger downpipe to a stock exaust and where can i get it?

urbanwheeler
05-19-2009, 03:35 PM
you are probably hearing the exhaust back pressure valve. it restricts the exhaust flow to the down pipe to aid in cold weather warm-ups. there is a plug on the front of the turbo pedistal that controls it. most guys will gut the valve. i did mine just to help the flow. some guys have seen a 50 degree drop in egt's.

97strokeonit
05-19-2009, 09:18 PM
no kidding? i need to do that. how do i do this?

PSD0389
05-19-2009, 11:20 PM
yeah thats your EBPV, you can just unplug it on the front of the engine on top of the HPOP reservoir, thats what I did

and for the DP, you want to get a 3"

PowerSmoker73
05-31-2009, 09:11 PM
Get a 3" DP and you will have to "massage" your firewall a tiny bit for it to properly fit. Alo you can gut the EBPV at the same time you put the DP in.
Mark

97strokeonit
06-02-2009, 05:47 PM
yeah I keep looking for this EBPV thing and I cant find it. Im afraid to tear something off thats important.:bang

RubberDuck
06-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Look at your turbo. Where the down pipe connects to it.... Thats the exhaust back pressure valve housing. If you look directly below it, you will see an actuator arm. That arm comes out of the turbo pedistal and is controlled by oil pressure. To just stop it from closing you need to disconnect the solinoid.

To do that, you need to be looking down on your engine. If you look just in front of the compressor housing (intake side) on the drivers side cylinder head, you'll see a 2 wire connector. Wires should be Black w/ green, and black. Just take it lose and leave it laying there. It won't hurt anything. That should fix your noise and power loss problem.

However, gutting the EBPV and barrel assembly is a bit more in depth. Hope that helps some.

97strokeonit
06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
yeah thanks rubber duckie. IDK. Ill check it out. :rockwoot: