PDA

View Full Version : any vw diesel experts?

DBogo
05-21-2009, 01:05 PM
well i just picked up a 90 vw jetta 1.6 diesel 5spd for $300 the body is near perfect it needs a tranny which i beleive im putting in this weekend, i got one out of canada for $100, now i just need to know a few things, the car runs great with 266k on it, though when sitting at a red light it will get a little warm, also it ticks a very little bit idling but then when you rev it up a few times it will go away then come back again, i cannot pinpoint where the noise is coming from but its driving me nuts, also this might be a dumb one but does anyone know how to get the damn antenna off this car im trying everything and i cannot get the thing off, if anyone has any info let me know, also i beleive tweaking the pump is the same as a 1st gen cummins i think its a 4cyl VE pump but im not sure, let me know thanks

Turbonetics TQ
05-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Check and make sure the electric fan is still comming on. The ticking....Can be many thing look for wires and or cables. My Cold start knob on my rabbit would brush up aginst the injection lines and cause the strangest noise in the cab.

DBogo
05-21-2009, 11:21 PM
one more thing the speedo dont work neither does the trip the but odo works??

Billysgoat
05-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Pick up a Bently manual for it, they are worth every penny if you plan to keep the car.

UpstateDiesel
05-24-2009, 07:15 PM
I agree. These cars run high on the heat gauge, so don't freak out. I need to check my fan on my '92 and see if it is good. They are great little cars. I have almost 305K on mine and still going. When the body falls apart, soon, I am pulling the engine for a Samurai or Tracker swap. Enjoy and if you have any questions give me a shout. I'm not too far from you. Chris

DBogo
05-24-2009, 10:04 PM
your not far at all, how hot do these cars usually run? and theres just about no rust at all on this one just a little bubble around the window, the underside is 100% rust free, im not far from you at all so if you got some free time we should meet up, seeing as how we do have the same color jetta, any tips for doing the tranny?, and i have a bentley on order should be here soon

Turbonetics TQ
05-24-2009, 11:49 PM
http://partsplaceinc.com

Good Place for VW Parts

Billysgoat
05-25-2009, 08:54 AM
http://www.worldimpex.com/

Another good source for parts, if you have the factory part # it's really quick to use.

DBogo
05-28-2009, 11:07 PM
any tips on putting the tranny back in i got it out and its a royal pita to get back in, any help is appreciated

Billysgoat
05-29-2009, 08:38 PM
It's a pain, no two ways about it.

UpstateDiesel
05-30-2009, 06:59 AM
How did you make out? I've never swapped transmissions on one of these so I am not sure of any pointers. Chris

DBogo
05-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Didnt get it in yet I got Monday and Tuesday off work so I am going to try and get it all set then

Turbonetics TQ
06-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I did mine on a lift the last time I did it. I put the tranns on my shoulder a heaved it on up in to place. I wish I could do that with my Dodge. Nothing special just the usual trying to get the input to spline-up. Put it in a gear and you can use the output shafts to turn the trans over to help it line up