PDA

View Full Version : SCT Custom Tune Vibration at Idle Issue

pstrang
05-04-2006, 08:18 PM
I'm getting quite an engine vibration when parked at idle with the SCT/ID custom tunes. It's present in Park, Neutral, and Drive. I hear/feel it a lot more when I depress the brake pedal. It occurs with or without PI and with the economy and street tunes.

No driving issues that I notice.

Strange though, it only happens when the engine is nice and warm. Nothing cold, or even at normal op temps. Only when the engine has been run for approx. 20 min. or longer. So maybe engine oil temp related? I'm running Rotella-T 5W/40 Synthetic. Ambient temps are 40-70F.

Anyone else have this? Any ideas? Impending injector failure?

Thanks.

bdp
05-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Sounds like injectors, need to get it on a scanner and see if it has an injector code.

4S FED
05-04-2006, 09:52 PM
I have been running ID's tunes for over 7 months and not had an issue. :confused: How many miles on your truck? Has it had a vibration ever since you loaded the tune?

Dalpilot
05-04-2006, 10:40 PM
I agree, betting injectors, does it feel like its missing?

pstrang
05-05-2006, 09:23 AM
I have almost 15k now. Never any problems. I noticed the vibration a couple weeks after I started the tunes; imparticularly after a 300-400 mile fishing trip. Been doing it ever since, but only when completely warmed up. This all took place last March.

pstrang
05-05-2006, 09:25 AM
I agree, betting injectors, does it feel like its missing?

No, I never get the impression it was missing. And it goes away when I start driving. Only notice it at idle after it's good and warmed up.

Dalpilot
05-05-2006, 10:13 AM
That is truly strange. I am still leaning towards injectors.

UNBROKEN
05-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Does it do it without a tune installed ?

jschall
05-06-2006, 02:51 PM
yall are going to have to explain your logic on injectors...it's normal cold and does it hot...ok most injector crap is worse cold and they warm up better...he has no smoke or missing sensation and it drives fine...I had an id tune that ran great then I changed my oil and it started loading up/skiping at an idle only when warm with freash oil....I let 11/2 qrt. of oil out and you would have never known it had done it...I blamed it on my injectors/fuel system not being stock and the tune needing tweeked...Eric finally fixed it...funny thing is that tune idled like crap but if I was going to the track that one would be on my xcal for sure....call Eric would be my advice...I think it's something with icp and oil temp/hpop and stuff not your injectors..
j.schall

pstrang
06-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Seems you might be right. I finally got it in to the dealer. Reflashed to stock first and they tested the injectors....no problems; very even power distribution.

Only does it when tuned (I run the economy tune).

I contacted Eric at ID first. He doesn't know.

4S FED
06-11-2006, 02:49 AM
Is the idle RPM different when the tune is installed? Maybe it's idling too low.

pstrang
06-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Nope same idle, 650 rpm. Though maybe I should try it a little higher. I can adjust that.

pstrang
06-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Update:

I tried an experiment and changed the oil to see if there was a change. I was running Rotella-T 5W/40 Syn (loved it in the winter time). To keep costs down for this test I replaced it with Delo 400 15W/40.

Guess what! No vibration anymore! So it must be related to the HPOP and the weight of the oil while running the ID/SCT custom tunes.

So great news. Well, except there's another issue. Now I'm getting a very high pitched annoying noise that drives me nuts. No, it's not the turbo whine, I know what that is (I like that one) and I can hear them both simultaneously. It is way higher pitched and it may be turbo related though. New oil probably changed something in the the oil-controlled VGT. :frown: After the truck/oil is well warmed up, it starts kicking in around 1400 rpms. Not sure if it does it stock yet.

It also could be the HPOP. Huuuummmmmmm.

jschall
06-24-2006, 04:39 PM
I sent you a pm....pstrang....
j.schall

HBO1
06-27-2006, 10:48 AM
FWIW, I have been running Diesel Power in my fuel for a long while now. Continued to run it when I got my ID tunes and the engine always ran smooth. I bought the stuff in the big jug from Walmart and it looks like they dropped it off their shelves. Now I've been running without for the last thousand miles or so and the engine definitely runs more rough, especially at idle. Guess I'll go to the local diesel shop and get some Stanadyne. I think it's a better product and actually approved by Ford/International, but much more expensive than the stuff from Walmart.

I say give it a try and see if it cleans up your idle? I have experienced improved mileage (which is nice, but don't much care), but the truck just feels smoother and a lot quieter.

pstrang
06-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks, but I run Diesel Kleen in every tank too (Stanadyne in the winter). I really think it's related to the HPOP and the extra stress an SCT tune adds to the engine.

HBO1
06-27-2006, 03:59 PM
It was worth a shot anyway...

After reading your first post, I realized that you still have a rough idle even with a PI tune. Mine does not, it is really pretty smooth with a PI tune....at least as smooth as the original PI it had when new.

jschall
06-27-2006, 05:41 PM
I believe pstrang and me have the same afflction hbo1 and it is related to the 05's hpop discharge tube quick connect fitting....it is softer metal then previous years and it starts vibrating and eventually the o-ring under it fails and no more hp oil....there is a TSB for it 06-4-6 and the 05's are starting to get miles on them and it's showing up...(sct probably does not help but icp is pretty close to stock Icp at idle...) it's a known 05 weakness and word is a revised hpop discharge connector is comming out soon...hope mine waits that long.....
j.schall

nummit
06-27-2006, 05:55 PM
I believe pstrang and me have the same afflction hbo1 and it is related to the 05's hpop discharge tube quick connect fitting....it is softer metal then previous years and it starts vibrating and eventually the o-ring under it fails and no more hp oil....there is a TSB for it 06-4-6 and the 05's are starting to get miles on them and it's showing up...(sct probably does not help but icp is pretty close to stock Icp at idle...) it's a known 05 weakness and word is a revised hpop discharge connector is comming out soon...hope mine waits that long.....
j.schall

A friend with an 05 just had his fixed.
I kinda hope that who ever decided the change was good, has to pay the repair costs.
You know Ford figured they could save a few bucks with the new set up but instead of making it less expensive they made it cheaper, and once again it back fires