PDA

View Full Version : 35's on 06 duramas?

tankhead23
07-13-2009, 09:12 PM
I have an 06 duramax with a leveling kit, 3in front and 2 in rear. Had to trim some but am having steering trouble. My tire rods are at too much of an angle on my drag link which is causing up to 2in play in the front. Any suggestions? know 6 in is right way, will 3 in body work or is there a 4 in lift out there that would work?

JD4440
07-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Welcome to CompD! Not sure why your having steering problems with a 3" leveling kit. Lots of trucks out there with the same height. Have you done anything to the steering? The play you're experiencing may be from your centerlink rotating.
Body lift would be a no-no in my book on a diesel, or anything in my book. I fit 33's on -12 offset wheels with stock keys cranked so I don't thing 35's are out of the question for a 4".

tankhead23
07-13-2009, 09:26 PM
steering is stock, my centerlink is floating up when you push or pull on the front or rear of the tires which is causing the toe in and toe out. This is causing me to constantly correct my truck going down the road. I noticed the toe out at the house when i parked the other day. Bad Off!!! They also tell me i am putting too much stress on my ball joints with those keys turned all the way up? Am i gonna lose a tire going down the road? Would a 4 inch skyjacker lift fix this or am i gonna have to put a 6 inch under her?

JD4440
07-13-2009, 09:49 PM
First off get some Cognito pitman/idler supports and tie rod sleeves and see if it corrects the steering problem. Are you running the 35's now ?? If so how many miles? Your pitman and idler arms are most likely worn out causing this.
4" tuff country or Cognito would be my choice running 35's . What offset are your wheels ?

tankhead23
07-14-2009, 05:56 AM
Less than a month on 35's, dc1 wheels think they are 4.5 in. what about the ball joints? do you see this as a major issue?

Big Angry
07-14-2009, 08:32 PM
big wide tires, wider rim, etc all put more stress on the front end components. What kind of leveling kit? I am a fan of suspension lifts for GM trucks for lifting the truck to fit tires, but that is a personal opinion. I've never heard of the issues your having. Did you have it aligned after install? I'd crank those bars back down, and either get a lift, or a smaller tire.
I'd also upgrade the steering support kits like Chris recommended.

JD4440
07-14-2009, 10:41 PM
it's more likely the pitman and idler are worn that the ball joints but anythings possible. If your on 35's with just a leveling kit whether it be green keys or a cognito arm there's some serious stress going on there.
offset is the same as mine, probly need to get the allignment checked for worn parts.

tankhead23
07-15-2009, 02:24 PM
probably gonna put 33's on it. allignment shop said it was the geometry off since torsion bars are maxed out that is allowing center link to flat up which throws off the allignment? wasnt my smartest move ever huh!!

JD4440
07-15-2009, 08:35 PM
The cognito braces will eliminate the rotation of the centerlink in my experience. I use them and sled pulling or drag racing the tires never toe in.
It's a good investment reguardless, might be something to try before you buy another set of tires.

xtreme8504
07-15-2009, 11:07 PM
The cognito braces will eliminate the rotation of the centerlink in my experience. I use them and sled pulling or drag racing the tires never toe in.
It's a good investment reguardless, might be something to try before you buy another set of tires.

AGREED!!! They def help...A lot, might as well fab up some tie rod sleeves or buy a set while your in there. BTW the threads on a GM tie rod are 14mmx1.5 pitch, you can buy a tapered lugnut at autostore in that size...measure distance from outer rod end to inner rubber boot,cut a piece of steel tubing (think I used 3/4 o.d. came to like 5/8 i.d) to go from outer rod end to inner rubber boot. weld nut to tubing...take apart and thread back to previous measurement. 3 dollar sleeve!