PDA

View Full Version : ok lets talk about really bad RT

COMP461
01-13-2007, 11:15 AM
In reality we all have out great days on the tree, and we tend to forget the bad lights or the red lights where it really maters. So any one wants to talk about a really bad light? I’ll start off.

A really bad light is not a .002 red this is called trying, I mean like.300 something, or a -.300 red. I slept on a real duck in Vegas in comp, I was chasing points in 2000 and this round was one that could have made a real difference. In Qualifying I missed a shift and winged my little Chevy V6 to 11,200 and dinged a valve. One hole was leaking 80%

I was racing out of Charlie Steward’s trailer that weekend, and I was ready to pack the car in the trailer. Charlie Stewart, doesn’t race that way, and convinced me, well more like demanded that I try and fix the hurt motor.
I wasn’t use to tearing in to a $40,000 motor at the track, especially a motor that I was leasing. But this was a much need lesson gleaned from racing in Charlie’s Boot Camp of Drag racing. I was to learn a few more in the next few years crewing for Charlie .His attitude was that we were 1100 miles from home and we didn’t come to lose or give up.

We stayed up all night tearing off the top end of the hurt little motor, found a seat stone to fix the seat , and Charlie took a piece of pipe and a hammer and preceded with a little back yard titanium valve straightening . I reassembled the motor and tightened the last intake manifold bolt as the sun came up the next day. We started the motor and stalled it up and it was as good as new,
I was ok on the tree in first round, and it the second round line up against a former world Champion in comp, He had a little performance on me, but nothing that could not be made up on the tree. I set and watched the green light come on, it was ugly. I think the light was a .795 which in today’s system would have been a .295 . The ugly part was his light was a .703 a five anything light would have won the round, and he was lucky to have to race a broken racer the next round. Ok there is my bad light, anyone else brave enough to post one,

imelmo
01-13-2007, 12:47 PM
A really bad light is not a .002 red this is called trying, I mean like.300 something, or a -.300 red.

Yeah, I hate when I hear people talk about that in bracket racing. "Anybody who red lights is stupid. If you don't red light all you have to do is slow down at the end when you're winning."

If you never red light, you're not tryin'.

I had a really good red light in the quick diesel at TruckFest in CO. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd round. It was bracket racing and he had like a full second or two head start. Basically I just had a brain fart and took off when he did. :p

ALLMTR5.0
01-13-2007, 07:33 PM
I had a second round red light because of a bad transbrake (-.230 light) it was heads up & i had the win in the bag, the car I was racin went 13.30 & I ran a 11.01, I was so mad I could of ripped off the sterring wheel.

UNBROKEN
01-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Hell...I have a whole slew of bad lights. WHen I'm just testing or playing I could care less about the light....I'll sit there till I'm good and ready to go.
I'm talking like 2.2's and chit. LOL
If I'm heads up with someone though....it's on.

BFD99
01-13-2007, 09:09 PM
my dad ran i think it was a .53 something when he ran his dually at the track LOL

diesel_ram_man
01-13-2007, 09:14 PM
When we were racing at Smokin' one guy (not sure of his name) didn't notice he was already staged, and got a 4.98 RT. He started spooling when the light turned green.

imelmo
01-14-2007, 02:14 AM
Hell...I have a whole slew of bad lights. WHen I'm just testing or playing I could care less about the light....I'll sit there till I'm good and ready to go.
I'm talking like 2.2's and chit. LOL
If I'm heads up with someone though....it's on.

**Challenges Richard** :D